“Very nice hotel”

Maswik Lodge
Nowra, Australia
“Very nice hotel”
Reviewed October 10, 2005

We stayed at the Maswik for 1 night in early October as part of a scenic airlines package. We stayed on the 1st floor and the rooms were great. Very large for 2 adults and 2 children.We found it very quiet and peaceful and a quick walk to the RIM. The cafeteria was fantastic with plenty to choose from at good prices. The room was pretty warm for October with no air con but we opened the windows and it was fine. I imagine it would be very hot in summer though. The gift shop was handy and we had an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed October 2005
23 Thank Nicole H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 4, 2005

We just got back from our 2 night stay at the Maswik Lodge. We read the reviews, & we're truly expecting the very worst. As we normally stay at better hotels while traveling. Much to our surprise, & delight the lodge was lovely! It was clean, linens to towels, the setting (we were in bldg. A) was wooded, & had a cabin feel. We loved the cafateria, & cozy bar, the lobby was gorgeous, fun gift shop. But by far being that close to the rim was awesome! It was very warm during the day, & takes a while a to cool down at night so be sure to bring some light summer pj's regardless of season. (only has a small fan, no C.Air.) We had a slight problem with our shower but they fixed it within a few hours, & even gave us a discount rate (without asking) for the inconvienance.
Overall it was well worth the money, & we wouldn't hestiate to stay there again. Really enjoyed our stay, hated to leave!

26 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 3, 2005

I just do not understand the negative reviews of the Maswik Lodge. The rooms are large and comfortable. There is no A/C but it seems the majority of folks writing bad reviews did not bother to research their trip at all. If they did, they would realize that the rooms have no A/C, and plan accordingly. It's a desert, so of course it will be hot. We went in early October, when the park is less crowded and the temperatures are lower. The rim of the canyon, with jaw-dropping, spectacular views, is a five minute walk from the lodge. The "rude staff" mentioned by one of the reviewers is non-existent. Every staff member we encountered was friendly and helpful. I suspect the rudeness was initiated by someone complaining or by confrontational behavior by the guest.

The visitors, however, are another story. Here is some of what we witnessed:

Able-bodied (but fat) people refusing to use the great shuttle service. Instead, they would drive their massive SUVs around the barriers where only shuttle buses are supposed to go, and whine about the lack of parking. One of the shuttle drivers told me that dozens of people are reported doing this every day.

Screaming brats. Apparently the parents of these little monsters are too busy to parent.

Adults (and I use the term loosely) saying things like "I could have seen this from the car," "Pretty rocks. Big deal. Let's hit the bar." They were either certain that their opinion was of interest to all or they were trying to make their 110 decibel comments echo through the canyon.

Blasting car stereos. Thanks a lot. I really love your music promoting cop killing and rape while I'm relaxing.

A guest loudly complaining about the lack of A/C, and demanding to see the manager while a large group of senior citizens was patiently waiting behind him to check in. The high temperature that day was 75.

A women who threw her styrofoam coffee cup on the ground instead of walking 10 steps to the trash can.

If you want to drive your H2 (Hey look at me--I have way too much money to spend so I buy a big truck to compensate for my small ---) and you believe that you are too important to care about the environment, please stay home. If you are going to be loud and boisterous, go somewhere else. If you want a five-star hotel, skip this place. If you believe the shuttle service cramps your lifestyle or is only for tree-huggers and the unwashed masses, please tell your therapist about it rather than ruining it for others.

If, on the other hand, you want a wonderful vacation experience, you will want to check this place out. It is absolutely breath-taking.

• Stayed October 2005
43 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 30, 2005

Just recently returned from this trip (AAA package) with train trip from Williams to Grand Canyon. I thought this was a great trip. the Railway hotel was adequate, the food at Max Thelmas was plentiful, we could not complain, the staff was friendly.
I think the only way to go to the Grand Canyon is to take the train informative and convenient, we upgraded so it was very comfortable. The weather was a bit on the cool side so we had no complains at the Maswik Lodge. Naturally it is like a reasonable hotel so you never know who your next door neighbor is or above you. We even got to eat dinner at El Tovar, that was my goal and I loved every minute of it. Very elegant and delicious. I would certainly recomment this trip to anyone.

22 Thank Emmy R
Springfield, Illinois
Reviewed September 27, 2005

We made reservations long in advance of our July 2005 Grand Canyon trip, but not long enough to get on the rim. My kids have always wanted to camp, and "roughing it" in one of the Bright Angel cabins was as close to camping as I wanted to be. The Maswik was the only thing available, though.
I was happy with the accomodations. It was very rustic--non landscaped grounds, no air conditioning--but it was really neat. The room (we stayed in a four plex cabin) was large enough for the four of us, and clean. The walk to the rim was no big deal at all (and the deer we saw each morning were wonderful!).
It was warm, but each night cooled down with the windows open. It would have been terrific, but somehow everyone around us didn't realize that people were trying to sleep, and no one had air conditioning, and sound carries into open windows where cabins are virtually right next to each other. I really don't think anyone would try to be that rude, but: at 11:30pm, when your car is parked less than 10 feet from the door, do you think you need to set your car alarm (with horn) each time to go back and forth?And how much luggage did you bring? Plus a few young people talking (a bit loudly, and very amusingly, since there was lots of loud laughter) rather late, etc. made for a rather sleepless night. I wonder if campers find the same lack of consideration?
This is too bad, because otherwise the place would be great. The cafeteria was fine. My kids loved the selection, and the bar was a nice place to cool down after a walk down into the canyon. We did also eat at Bright Angel and El Tovar--both were excellent, but the cafeteria offered a convenient variety of good food, too. It does open a bit late for early hikers--but you can get coffee up at the Bright Angel earlier.
I am impressed with the National Park hotel and food service on the basis of this trip. The Grand Canyon is everything people say it is--and the surrounding nature is wonderful. If only people would show common sense and manners....

Stayed July 2005
17 Thank dler
London
Reviewed September 26, 2005

We recently stayed in the north lodge on an upper floor as our favoured hotel, El Tovar, was booked up. Whilst our room was nowhere near the same standard as the El Tovar, it was clean, spacious, cheaper and about 5 mins walk to the rim - perfectly adequate. We ate dinner at the El Tovar which was superb, but gave the Bright Angel a miss after rude service - or lack of it - at the bar. The Maswick cafeteria is functional.

11 Thank NikkiLondon
California
Reviewed August 14, 2005

We stayed one night at the Maswik lodge. The rooms appeared clean and good size, simple furnishing but that's okay for us. Even without A/C wasn't a big issue, though A/C would be nice for those days when it was hot. The location was great and it is in short walking distance to the rim.

However, we got bedbug bites all over on our bodies in the exposed area where it was not covered by clothings. Excruciating itchness and rashes resulted from the bites a few days later. I reported to them a week later and then we were told they did find bedbugs in our room after we checked out and had treated the room and replaced the beds.

So beware. When you check in, inspect the sheets and beds carefully. The bugs only came out at night but if the beds are infested, the bugs might leave tiny blood stains on the sheets. My kid did spot a tiny blood stain on the sheet and asked me about it when we were there. I didn't know about bedbugs at that time and so weren't suspicious. If we knew this before, we'd have avoided going through the unbearable itchiness and rashes.

• Stayed July 2005

Canyon Plaza Resort
#5 of 6 in Tusayan
Holiday Inn Express Grand Canyon
The Grand Hotel at the Grand Canyon

Been to Maswik Lodge? Share your experiences!