“Very satisfied with Maswik North” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Maswik Lodge

Maswik Lodge
Hockessin, Delaware
“Very satisfied with Maswik North”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

My wife and I stayed in Maswik North Juniper building for 3 days in the week of March 10th. We had an excellent stay and would like to stay here when we visit in future. Grand Canyon is a special place and staying inside the park and close to the rim is the way to experience it.

Maswik North's location is very convenient for all services. It is less than a 5 minute walk from the Rim, the Bright Angel trailhead, and the Hermit's rest bus transfer station. It is on the Blue Bus-Village Route. All this means you will spend less time getting to interesting places along the rim.

Despite our late arrival on March 13th at 10 pm the check-in process was welcoming and very efficient. Special thanks to the friendly gentleman with the Scottish accent who checked us in.

Our room was spacious, clean, comfortable, quiet and had all amenities. The beds are comfortable, the sink is located just outside the bathroom. There is a TV, hair dryer, refrigerator, iron, ample towels, and in general all the amenities found in a hotel room. I had read the reviews on Tripadvisor prior to my stay and was a little apprehensive. After staying there for 3 nights my opinion is that while this is not an upscale or luxury accommodation, it is an excellent value.

The Maswik Cafeteria is conveniently located in the complex. We had a pizza dinner one evening, and grabbed a sandwich to go on another visit. The prices are reasonable.

The only issues we encountered is WiFi service. The Xanterra Guest Wireless access is fine and I could connect to it without any issues. However their ISP service provider is not reliable. The room is well insulated, and this minimized the noise from a heater that would kick in a few times at night.

One other thing I noticed. Xanterra seems to run the park guest services very well. We availed of several services and encountered no inconveniences. We dined at the El Tovar one night, went on the Canyon Vista Mule ride, rode on the park buses, and shopped at the various stores. Their employees seem happy, are friendly and eager to help, and in general offer very good service.

All in all we had a very memorable and enjoyable vacation and Maswik Lodge North was a winner for us.

Room Tip: Maswik North was a good choice for us. We stayed in the Juniper building. A second floor room is q...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TNF_12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Prescott, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

We had visitors in town from Upstate NY. Although it was only a couple days in advance we decided to try to get room sat the Grand Canyon. The Maswik had three rooms available so we booked them. Since it was short notice we did not have high expectations but ended up being VERY pleased with the Maswik. The rooms were large, clean, and quiet. The windows looked out over a treed area that could have been in the middle of a forest. The vaulted ceilings and decor were a perfect compliment to the Grand Canyon visit. The cafeteria has good food at reasonable prices.

On previous visits we always made the Grand Canyon a day trip from Prescott. The stay at the Maswik made the entire trip a much nicer calmer visit. The staff, although very busy, was super friendly, as are most everyone working at the Grand Canyon. We'll do this again on our next visit.

We tend to expect prices and service in tourist destinations such as the Grand Canyon to be overpriced and the staff over worked. The Grand Canyon accommodations and staff are such a pleasure; the prices are reasonable for a National Park and everyone seems to genuinely workign in the Park. Visiting the Grand Canyon can be a life altering experience, and the staff and accommodations make the ancillary facilities a wonderful complement to the visit.

Room Tip: Our second floor room was quiet, but I think all the rooms woudl be as good.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Mooney_231
Omaha, Nebraska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

There is no replacement for staying in the park, no matter where you stay. Six of us traveling together stayed in the Redbud building with adjoining rooms on the first of two floors. I was in room 6882. The rooms are average, two beds, TV (not a flat screen, but we didn't use it), updated bathroom, small refrigerator.

A few issues that I had with this hotel:

1. We could hear the people staying directly above us when they were walking around - all night.

2. They use flat sheets on the mattresses. They don't stay on the bed.

3. The blankets were slick and slid off the bed multiple times through the night.

We didn't sleep too well, as you can tell.

A few things I appreciated:

1. We came to this hotel as part of the Grand Canyon Railway package, which was amazing. They had our luggage waiting for us in our room upon arrival.

2. The scenery is amazing, and there are free shuttles that take you all around the local area.

3. The food in the restaurants was reasonably priced and pretty good.

All in all, we had a decent stay in the park. When we come back, I will try one of the other hotels though.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank prizeseeker
Rowlett, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

Maswik Lodge was a great choice for my family. It had two restaurants, a gift shop, was a tour pickup/drop off location, and had a lot more close parking spaces than the other lodges in the village. The room was what I expected and all we needed, really. We only were in the room to sleep and shower, otherwise we were enjoying the park. The weather was cool when we stayed here, so the A/C was not an issue, but there are two fans in the room for hotter seasons.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Jill R
Pleasant Hill, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

Of course it's mostly a location hotel. The rooms were large and clean. The towels felt like burlap after the shower. Not just not soft, but actually painful if you rub. The bed was decent. There's a fridge in the room. It's not too far too the little grocery however the prices there are very high.
I'd stay here again as the location is great.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank cdsJerry
Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

I’ve always enjoyed staying here and would have rated my room 4 out of 5 at Maswik Lodge North, but this time the bedding was so uncomfortable that I’ve downgraded it to a 3. The bed and pillows (new?) were so hard that I couldn’t sleep. I ended up using my jacket for a pillow. On the plus side: the Lodge is in a great location, just a five minute walk from spectacular views, the start of Bright Angel Trail, the shuttle bus east/west transfer station, and the major hotels, restaurants, museums and galleries along the rim, and it costs less. The Maswik restaurant (cafeteria style) serves a wide selection of good food all day; there are sandwiches and fruit for hikers. There’s also a popular pizza parlour with bar service. In the lobby is a Grand Canyon “transportation desk” that helps arrange tours and mule rides. Guest rooms are in two-story buildings separate from the main lodge. Rooms in Maswik North (more expensive) are larger than Maswik South, include air-conditioning and are in a quieter area surrounded by trees. Maswik South rooms are smaller, less expensive, closer to the lodge, use fans rather than air conditioning and some get traffic noise. Access to second floor rooms are via exterior stairways. My bathroom in Maswik North had rather small counter space; I had to move the coffee set-up into the bedroom to have enough area around the bathroom sink. Rooms in both North and South have small refrigerators. Bathroom towels were soft and thick. A flashlight comes in handy to walk at night between your room and the main lodge, or the rim to view the night sky above the canyon.

Room Tip: If you are staying in Maswik North, request a room in the Mesquite, Pinyon Pine, or Redbud buildings...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank CJSArizona
Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

This $200.00 per night room would have cost me $40.00 at a Super 8. Based on other reviews I read I got exactly what I expected. The room was clean and had a great legacy 24" TV that offered about 5 different food channels. I'm not sure why since it didn't have a kitchen, not even a microwave. I guess we have to pay for the benefit of staying in the park. I wouldn't do it again. The staff was very friendly.

Room Tip: Go outside the park and save a few bucks.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Canyon Plaza Resort
Canyon Plaza Resort
#5 of 5 in Tusayan
3.0 of 5 bubbles 1,622 reviews

Been to Maswik Lodge? Share your experiences!