“North Section Rooms”
Review of Maswik Lodge

Maswik Lodge
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Family of six (4 adults and 2 children) on a road trip.

Booked two adjacent rooms in the north section for a night for $176.00+ per room. Contrary to most reviews, the rooms were clean, comfortable and quiet.

Upon arrival, we had the opportunity to watch deers linger a few feet outside our rooms.

The location is not far from information, general stores/souvenir shops, shuttle buses and some view points.

Room Tip: The rooms in the north section are pricier, but well worth it.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Maswik Lodge

Reviewed August 31, 2013

While I understand the predicament our National Park System is in, I do NOT hold them to the same hotel standards as I do other chains.
Understand that this park, as most of them are, is historic, meaning OLD. I don't expect a lot but I do expect things in the room to be in working order.
We waited several hours for our room to even be ready for us to move into. Once in, some lights did not work, the fan didn't work and the air conditioning was sub-par.
I must say, these are minimal issues when we were "out west roughing it", but at the end of a long, hot day in the park, we just wanted to get in our room and have things work.
Having said that, Maswik had the best park store for gifts and the best café/pizza in the park.
Overall disappointing. Would probably change dates of travel if Maswik were the only accommodations.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank mibusyrn
Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

I never expert much when staying at national park lodging, but this room was actually pretty nice. It was spacious, decent bed, and bathroom looked recently remodeled. Everything was very clean. Easy access to the shuttle bus. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We booked the Grand Canyon Railroad Pkg including overnight in the Canyon. Pkg did not give us a choice of Lodges but this was the worst room I've seen in years. It was ancient in every way, smelled, sheets and blankets were stained and torn, and the bedspread, OMG how old was that thing? We usually leave bathroom light on as nightlight but couldn't as the fan and light were one and noise was way too loud for sleeping. I don't really have one nice thing to say about the room (they told us we actually had one of the best rooms they offer) - the Lodge itself was OK, friendly, good food in the food court, nice gift shop, convenient to the shuttles. If given an option - we probably would have been happier at any of the other Lodges in the Canyon. The Railroad Package needs to rethink the Lodge they contract in the Canyon.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We bought the Grand Canyon Railway Plus package for my husbands 60th Birthday on August 26th overnight. All in all it was a wonderful time.... however once we checked into the Maswik Lodge it was disturbing. The room was a good size, bathroom was clean, descent hot water, but the bed sheets and bedspreads were disgusting!!! We were in the Yellow Pine building bottom floor. There were stains on the sheets and it wasn't a fitted sheet, just a flat sheet that you could see through. The bedspreads were from 1970 and dirty looking. I slept on a towel and luckily my husband and I always bring our own pillow. This is unacceptable!! I didn't' expect a 4 or even 3 star hotel, but I DO expect clean sheets and bed spreads. I have and will continue to NOT recommend this lodge! Stay at the Bright Angel or if you can afford it the EL Tovar, you will thank me.... trust me.

Room Tip: Choose another lodge or make sure you bring your own sheets!!!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jennysheck
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We booked on somewhat short notice since we wanted to stay in the park so I was thrilled to get a room. The Maswik was the only place with availability so I took it. The online room pics made me think this might be an adventure (and not necessarily a good one). But I was pleasantly surprised. The room was basic but clean. And the location was a brief walk to the rim and two main bus lines. Overall, thumbs up!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Realise that we were in the Grand Canyon and not a city but we almost felt like a tent would have been better.
Accommodation was really BASIC with a NOISY portable fan that just moved the warm air around we sweated all night in our box and was glad when morning came so we could move onto our next hotel.
This is just a place to lay your head with absolutely no frills whatsoever

Room Tip: I don't think that exists here
Canyon Plaza Resort
Canyon Plaza Resort
#5 of 6 in Tusayan
Holiday Inn Express Grand Canyon

Been to Maswik Lodge? Share your experiences!