“Maswik Lodge” 4 of 5 bubbles

Maswik Lodge
Lakewood, Colorado
“Maswik Lodge”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2008

We stayed at the Maswik Lodge for two nights. The hotel is clean and quiet, away from the droves of people that stay at the hotels on the rim, yet still close to the rim. It is only a short walk through the trees to get to the rim and trails. On our second day we walked the entire rim trail, about 10 miles, and found the bed to be much more comfortable when you are really tired. Otherwise, it is just your standard hard hotel bed. There is a cafeteria at this hotel which was ok. The food was tasty, but a little pricey. We were glad that we had purchased a cooler and food when we got off the plane. The room did have a small refrigerator and coffee maker, but not a microwave.

1 Thank diehlsonthego

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Mesa, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2008

Wow! I had very low expectations for this place. I ended up here for 3 nights in May 2008 because it was the only lodging available in the Park. The setting is beautiful. Nestled among pine trees 1/4 mile from the Rim. This motel is away from the bustle of the Rim. The Bright Angel, Thunderbird/Kachina, and El Tovar are teeming with activity from tour buses, the train and crowds and outdoor performances along the Rim Trail. Maswik is just a 5 to 10 minute walk away but very quiet. We saw deer and rabbits right outside our room. My room was a Maswik North type room. It was large, featured a ceiling fan and air conditioning as well as a refridgerator and coffee pot. I came here after spending a week in Vegas for a convention, staying at the MGM Grand (read my review there!). The Maswik was more comfortable to me than the MGM Grand in Vegas! Comfortable beds, quiet star filled nights, and attentive service by the Xanterra staff. The Maswik lobby has a tour desk that can make arrangements for you and direct you to activities. If you want to be walking distance from the Rim but away from the hustle and bustle this is a great place to stay.

• Liked — Location and comfortable rooms
  • Disliked — Somewhat pricey at $162 for a Maswik North room
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank friendlyinsomniac
England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2008

On the plus side the location can't be beat; a couple of minutes walk from the Grand Canyon rim.
However, the check-in staff were surly and unhelpful, the room smelt of disinfectant, there was no milk for the coffee (that didn't matter see later), an opened bottle of shower gel was in the waste bin and a bar of used soap was beside the basin, otherwise no toiletries. The coffee maker was sited next to the wash basin with the hand towels danging over it.
The rooom was a good size and the bed was comfy.
In the morning I found the coffee maker wouldn't work. I walked over to reception to report it (and to buy some coffees from the self-service). Receptionist told me to unplug the machine wait 20 seconds, plug it back in and try again. I pointout that the plug was behing the fridge and received a shrug in response. I returned to my room and followed the instructions. When I tried to turn the coffee maker on there was a bang and a flash of sparks, the coffee maker still didn't work. I phoned reception to tell them and was told maintenance would come and have a look. No appology. When maintenance did turn up he said it would need to be replaced (no kidding!) but he would have to order one as he didn't have a spare!
Just as well we were leaving anyway.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Grand Canyon National Park hotels

Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2008

You have to book through Xanterra for lodging in the Grand Canyon. south rim. Because we left it too late, our choices were limited to an expensive room (two queen-sized beds) in Maswick and the RV park. We chose the former. When we turned up to Maswick, our accommodation looked very non-descript from the outside (we were upstairs in Redbud). As it turned out, the room was a wonderful surprise. It was spacious, clean and decorated in the Indian (Navajo) style, facing a pine forest. The reception was helpful, even though the staff were obviously catering to many, many visitors on a daily basis. The canteen was vast and clean, with a good range of food choices. I suppose, though, for the price we paid, these things were to be expected.

Stayed April 2008
warwick, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2008

We stayed at Maswik April 19th and 20th. We landed in Phoenix and drove up thru Sedona, totally recomend that. The Maswik rooms are small but they are clean. We stayed here with our 3 teen children. We got a rollaway (xtra $10). When thay was open you could not get out the door. They had a decent size fridge and the water pressure in the shower was great. My husband thought the food was OK, I thought it stunk. The bar was Ok but smelt a little musty. We walked to the rim many times, just a short stroll doven a side walk.

• Liked — Close to grand canyon
  • Disliked — size/food
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2008

The Maswik Lodge is an excellent place to stay if you want to be near the rim. It did not take us more then 5 minutes to walk to the edge of the rim from our room. Our room, which was in Maswik North, was very pleasant, and above average.

The Maswik Cafe - Horrible! I had read most of the reviews here saying that the food id terrible, and I can say that is so true! The food here tastes just as bad as it looks! We ate here on our first night, and then thought we should try the Yavapai cafe for lunch the next day, which was just as tasteless! So on our final night we went to Bright Angel restaurant, and that is fantastic! The ambience was nice, the food was nice, and the waiters were nice!

And the Grand Canyon itself? It is awesome!

• Liked — Near the rim in a wooded area
  • Disliked — The food!
3 Thank EasyBob
Fairfield, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2008

We stayed in a cabin at the Maswik Lodge for one night last week. I wasn't able to find much info about the cabin before I booked it, so I hope this helps someone else in making their plans.

According the Xanterra, the cabins are available only in the summer. (Not totally accurate, since we stayed in one in April.) This is probably because they are made of plywood-type material - no insulation. There is a heater and extra blankets are available. The temp dropped into the teens last week. We were warm enough when sleeping, but the bathroom was pretty cold.

The term "rustic" is fair. I called the front desk after we checked in the cabin, becasue I though we might be in the wrong place - the two "queen" beds looked more like full size. There was a day bed for the fifth person - the "mattress" was very hard. (There were 2 adults and three children in our party.) The bathroom was functional, nothing more. There was a shower, no bathtub. No closet, either.

Our expectations were very low. We knew the cabin would be very basic. We were not disappointed. For $86, I still think it was a deal. It was very cool to be able to stay right at the CGNP.

The location was great. It was about a block to walk to the rim. If you don't like to walk, there is a shuttle bus right in front of the lodge. It was quick and easy to wake up and walk to the rim to watch sunrise.

My first choice would have been the Bright Angel Lodge, but that was not available. Maswik was very quiet and peaceful. We saw elk in the evening and morning. When we walked along the rim in front of the Bright Angel Lodge in the morning, I was surprised by all the commotion there. There were bus loads of people with kids running around unsupervised - I guess a tour group- it was anything but peaceful.

For us, the Maswik Lodge cabin worked. It was great for one night.

• Liked — Very close to the rim, yet quiet
  • Disliked — The bathroom was cold
4 Thank sammydog2008
Canyon Plaza Resort
Canyon Plaza Resort
#5 of 5 in Tusayan
3.0 of 5 bubbles 1,623 reviews

Been to Maswik Lodge? Share your experiences!