“A very basic room”
Review of Maswik Lodge

Maswik Lodge
Reviewed December 2, 2012

The room was located a fair distance from reception and with no help it was quite a task dragging our 3 suitcases along. The room itself was small compared to other hotel rooms in the US. The fixtures were old, the ventilation in the bathroom was non-existent and the bed wasn’t very comfortable. The heater was very noisy and the TV was at least 20yrs old.

Room Tip: Try to get a room close to reception

Reviewed December 1, 2012

We booked this room from the visitors center and it was the last one as it was the weekend. When we got there we were told it was a handicap room. The room was quite big and had a fridge and coffee maker. The bathroom was huge and everything was exceptionally clean. The staff are great and will do anything to help you. The food at the restaurant there is good and has a wide selection you will find something for everyone. This place is great and I would recommend it to anyone. The gift shop is very nice and has a good selection of fair priced items. As an after thought I like a place that provides tea and this place gives you herbal tea as well in your room. Not everyone drinks coffee. Be fair and remember this place once belonged to most of the cleaning staff so be generous and leave a tip!

Room Tip: We were in an end room and the metal stairs beside it were noisy when people ran up and down them. V...
1  Thank mary l
Reviewed November 29, 2012

I think Maswik Lodge need to hire a new marketing manager (just joking).
During my trip to Grand Canyon, I have decided to stay inside the national park no matter how. I did a lot of research and monitored the reservation availability frequently but 2 weeks before my trip, the only available rooms are either at Maswik or Yavapai Lodge. Looking at the photos online, I am not impressed at all. I thought "I have to pay USD99 for such a basic and lousy motel?!" I booked it anyway since I must stay in the park for the sunrise and sunset.
It was a great surprise. The room is big and nice. Very clean, with 2 queen size beds, cable TV, and baththub. Though still a bit expensive for me, but still a pleasant surprise :)
We drove from Phoenix in early morning, stopped by at Sedona and enter Grand Canyon National Park from the East entrance. We drove along dessert view and waited for sunset at Mother's point. After the sunset, we drove to the Village for check in. (Please don't bring down your luggage during check in because most of the rooms are quite far away from the lobby.) We were very tired after moving our luggages in and out of the car so we decided to have dinner at the Maswik Lodge cafe before return to our room. We can park our car right in front of our room.
The food was just so so, but with reasonable variety. You can get free wifi in the cafe too.
The location is very good. Bus stops are within walking distance.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank UnderBigHill
Reviewed November 29, 2012

The rooms were small, not A/C (but advertised when booking), tiny bathrooms, smelly and uncomfortable beds, dirty carpets and very dated decor. However, the location is perfect and the experience of being at the Canyon was just incredible. The staff was very friendly and professional. A very convenient cafeteria and souvenir shop are located at the front desk area. An ATM is also available there. The food was OK and they have a huge variety to choose from.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Maswik Lodge is not on the rim of the canyon but it is only a short walk to Bright Angel Trailhead and the Rim Trail. There is a shuttle bus stop in the front of the main lodge. A good variety of food is available at the cafeteria in the main lodge. We stayed in the north rooms which were the premium rooms. The rooms were basic hotel rooms that were clean but did seem outdated as far as décor and electronics are concerned. That being said we did not come to the Grand Canyon for the hotels. We came for the Canyon itself. The Maswik Lodge is the perfect place for both value and location. Based on this I would rate Maswik a 4 star, however based on my contact with the staff I gave the Maswik a 5 star. From the cleaning staff to the front desk I was pleasantly surprised by the helpfulness of everyone we encountered. To point this out, I left an item in the hotel room. It was located and with only one phone call and an email the item was in the mail to me.

Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Barkmo
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Nice room , clean , the only problem is food. If you like to have a good price dinner, you have to drive outside of grand canyon park. About 5 miles. You can find different fast food. Use your GPS. You can take canyon bus in front of the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Yes, a motel. Firm beds, cable tv, bathtub. Clean & comfortable. Floor squeeks(upper room), and stairs are loud when being used. Next to bus parking, so expect noise at 5:30am. Nice location & parking. Staff very friendly & helpful. Cafe close, but best food was at Bright Angel Arizona room.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grand Canyon National Park
Holiday Inn Express Grand Canyon
Canyon Plaza Resort
Canyon Plaza Resort
#5 of 6 in Tusayan

Been to Maswik Lodge? Share your experiences!