“Great service from Xanterra for Kachina Lodge”
Review of Kachina Lodge

Kachina Lodge
Singapore
“Great service from Xanterra for Kachina Lodge”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We booked 2 rooms in Kachina Lodge, and breakfast was not provided as mentioned in the rate. The check in is in El Tovar hotel which is just adjacent to Kachina lodge. Very prompt service and very warm too at the reception.

We realised 1 of the room window was not closed which resulted in the heater being cut off and made the room very cold, that was at 10pm. Called the front desk and 5 mins later, the staff came up to check but was unable to solve the problem. I called the front desk again to mentioned that we will do with it for the night. The staff mentioned that it was not possible for us to sleep through the night without the heater on and offered to switch room which we agreed. Another staff came with the keys for the new room in 5 mins time. We were happy at the recovery process of Xanterra. Really awesome service, no question asked.

The hotel is a little old, but well kept and clean. It faces the Grand Canyon and we can see that from our room windows. Though breakfast is not provided, there are ample restaurants and foodcourt available.

We had our dinner on the 1st night at El Tovar hotel ( best to make reservation through Xanterra). Lovely setting and ambience with a beautiful Christmas Tree in the lobby.

Our 2nd day, we had our meals at the food court at Maswik Lodge, which has many variety and the price is very reasonable. Most unbelievable is that it opens at 6am in the morn.

Overall stay in Kachina lodge is lovely and do request for a canyon view room.

Bridge Angel Trail is nearby, but do be caution especially when you are with young children. There are no barricades and it is at your own risk.

Room Tip: Get a room with the Canyon View. Though you can simply walk out of Kachina Lodge to see Grand Canyon...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We stayed one night on the first floor (no elevators). The room was clean and quiet, but it cost about double what a room in the Williams area would have. I hear that the Canyon view size is worth the price, and the rooms do have some amenities.

Room Tip: I wouldn't pay the extra unless I was getting a canyon view. You have to ask for that at reserv...
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Unable to get reservations at El Tovar, we took the recommendation of the booking agent and made reservations at Kachina Lodge. The Lodge is right next door to the hotel which made access to their facilities very easy. Th best thing about Kachina is the proximity to the South Rim...right outside the Lodge. We had a partial view of the rim from our room. The rooms are fairly small.very basic, but clean. They are badly in need of updating. We visited during Christmas week and considering the lines to get into the park, I would recommend staying inside the park if possible.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view if possible.
Salt Lake City
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Because we checked into the hotel just at sunset and didn't actually get into our room until it was dark, we were not prepared for the spectacular view from our wall-to-wall window at sunrise the next morning. Watching the sun come up over the Grand Canyon from the comfort of our own room was a moment to treasure. The rooms at the Kachina appear to have been recently renovated and were charming. Our room was spotlessly clean. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was nicely outfitted though a bit cramped.

Room Tip: If you can, ask for a room with a view of the canyon.
1 Thank SaltLakeCityTania
Sulphur, Louisiana
Reviewed December 25, 2013

If you're going to stay anywhere near the Canyon, go ahead and spend the few extra dollars to stay here (or next door at Thunderbird). I booked about 6 months in advance and requested a canyon view room - and WOW! The rooms are basic, but have everything you need. We stayed on the first floor to avoid the stairs, but in hindsight, I wish we had been on the second floor. Regardless, the rim is just outside your window and Rim Trail passes right in front of you. Parking was convenient, as was the walk to the restaurant.

Room Tip: Make sure you book a room with a "partial view" or "canyon view"
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank christinas550
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed December 25, 2013

Stayed here early Feb,2013. I found it to be flawless. Honestly don't know what some reviewers are looking for. If you're looking for all the comforts of home then that's where you should stay. I haven't tried the eateries at Bright Angel but maybe I'll give them a try when I return late Jan 2014. The lodges don't appear to be equipped for handicapped accessibility-I understand that would be a problem for those with disabilities. For all able bodied people however, this place is absolutely no problem. If you want to catered to for every whim, bring along some help and quit whining.

Room Tip: These are all good rooms. If you don't have a view then take a walk outside.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank edwfitzgeralsd
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed December 24, 2013

I wanted to stay on the rim and this was the only property available for me. I booked this one right away since getting a reservation on the rim is very difficult. When I booked it, I specifically asked for rim facing view but when I arrived to check in, they said that there is no mention of my comments/notes. I wasn't happy about it but staying on the rim was my priority. The only good thing I like about it that it was so close to the rim, i just walked out of my room at 5 am and enjoyed the sunrise without wasting any time. The laundry room wasn't close to the hotel either.
I liked El Tovar hotel instead since it was more upscale and nicer. I would have paid little extra money to stay at El Tovar if they had any availability.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
The Grand Hotel at the Grand Canyon
Canyon Plaza Resort
Canyon Plaza Resort
#5 of 6 in Tusayan

Been to Kachina Lodge? Share your experiences!