“Prestige comes with a price”
Review of El Tovar Hotel

El Tovar Hotel
Zurich, Switzerland
“Prestige comes with a price”
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Our group of eight were very happy to be able to book into this most sophisticated hotel inside the Grand Canyon. I did it about 8 months ahead of our trip. But honestly we were kind of disappointed. Our four rooms were on the basement level. We got the cheapest rooms available, $200 per night would be our upper limit. The rooms are tastefully decorated but very small. There is hardly enough space to accomodate our luggages. The lounge has dark wood panels which makes it very dim, luckily there is another sitting area on the first floor with better lightings. All in all there is an old fashion charm to the whole place. The service is friendly. But I still don't find it worth the high price they charge for their rooms. If I do my trip again, I will definitely take Bright Angel's Lodge instead where the rooms are more spacious, the price is more aceeptable and there is also some charm to the place.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank SiuMui

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (683)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed January 16, 2014

we turned up at the hotel looking for the Brachina Lodge that we,d booked into. The roads in we're not well signed and it was dark and we were tired after traveling all day. Finding the hotel reception we asked for directions and the lady was helpful in pointing to it next door and telling us where to park. We then went there only to find there wasn't a separate reception but that we had to register back at the hotel reception that we'd came from. I mean why did she not tell us that?

Next morning we went to the hotel for breakfast. Not being a fan of the coffee they serve (not having espresso) I asked for tea, milk and sugar. The server rolled his eyes as if we were unsuitable patrons and returned without the milk.

I sought their help to make a call home and the phones in the room were supposed to be geared up for that. They didn't work and I asked for help at the desk only to be told I should go to the shop a mile away the next morning.

The service outside the normal box at this place was hopeless.

Room Tip: Don't stay in Brachina Lodge and don't put up with the bad service
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Sue D
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Overall this hotel is awesome! It has a historic feel to it.. be it the hotel lobby or the room. I only stayed there for a night. The room was a little small but the furnishing is beautiful. Had dinner at the restaurant located at level 1, the food and ambience was great. Overall, I really enjoyed my stay there though it is only for a night. Will definitely want to stay longer if I am visiting again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tunawhiskas
Grapevine, Texas
Reviewed January 11, 2014

One of the tiniest rooms I’ve ever stayed in at a hotel in the US, but we still enjoyed the El Tovar. We love historic inns and this is one we looked forward to for the entire year (we made our reservation a year in advance when we made our reservations for Phantom Ranch). In spite of being small, the room was very clean and the bed was quite comfortable. The shower was awesome, but I might be slightly over-rating it after having spent 2 nights at Phantom Ranch with a broken pipe (no showers) and a long day of hiking out of the canyon. The next morning, we walked out of the hotel and looked over the rim of the Grand Canyon before heading home. It was so beautiful!!! If you can afford to get a bigger room, I would recommend it, but don’t miss a chance to stay at this beautiful property.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lojo34
Perth, Australia
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We didn't stay at the El Tovar Hotel while in the Grand Canyon National Park so I am only rating it on their restaurant/dining room, The location, views, food and service and especially the prices were all fantastic - among our best food experiences during our five-week US trip. We had a lunch and a breakfast. Lunch was a Navajo Taco, which was massive and probably the best I've ever had, beautiful apple strudel and one of the best coffees I had in the States. Breakfast of kippers and eggs was also excellent. Definitely the best value and food in the national park.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MMarren
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the Zane Grey suite. I have to say we really enjoyed this room and hotel. The room was updated and the small balcony allowed viewing of the canyon and Hopi house. Yes, the floors squeak, yes you can hear people in the hallway, but the beds were comfy and the rooms were clean and you cannot beat the location. The restaurant was delicious, we had made a reservation so had no wait. The front desk people were helpful and friendly. We really enjoyed having drinks on the covered porch at back of hotel that overlooks the canyon and there was a large lawn the kids could play on. I love the history of this place (with all it's squeaks and flaws) and the views of the canyon- and that's what makes this place special.

Stayed May 2013
1 Thank TravelinAjw
St Margaret's Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2014

The El Tovar is rather tired in terms of décor and fittings - although everything did work. The bathroom was heated by an overheard heat lamp so it was always freezing on entry.The central heating in the room itself, although effective, was so noisy we had to turn it off. This helped a bit but the noise of the heating units in surrounding rooms was still invasive. The restaurant was fully booked by the local Rotary Club for their Christmas party on the day we arrived - we could have joined them at $70 per head but as non-rotary members without a DJ/evening dress etc. we decided against. In a way I am glad we did because we had breakfast the following morning in the restaurant and we were not impressed. The view was excellent but the food and service were mediocre. The waiter got part of our order wrong and failed to follow-up, in good time, on his promise to change the dish. On the upside the food, beer and wine, and especially the service in the bar were excellent so we had dinner, made up of several bar snacks, in the bar both days. Despite these problems the El Tovar is probably the best option when visiting the Canyon - which is, of course a must.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Canyon Plaza Resort
Canyon Plaza Resort
#5 of 6 in Tusayan
3.0 of 5 bubbles 1,657 reviews

Been to El Tovar Hotel? Share your experiences!