“Bright Angel Lodge shines”
Review of Bright Angel Lodge

Bright Angel Lodge
Reviewed October 17, 2006

We stayed in a Bright Angel Lodge rim cabin with fireplace for four nights 9/17 thru 9/20. I had booked this room 1 ½ years in advance. We checked in about sunset on Sunday evening with no waiting. The man at the front desk was very friendly and he chatted amiably about Cajun food (we hail from south Louisiana). He assured me we had one of the best rooms in the Canyon.

When I walked in the room, however, I wasn’t too sure. I found a weird smell permeating the premises, which my daughter-in-law later assured me was only the lingering odor of the fireplace being used earlier. She found the smell refreshing, but I needed to air things out. After opening windows and airing out, things were fine. The accommodations are very rustic to be sure.

The bathroom is very basic, very poor lighting, and no place to put your toiletries. We just left them in our bag on the floor the entire stay. The place was clean, but not what you’d call spotless. The room had a small fridge, color TV and telephone. We had a queen bed, two mission style chairs with comfy cushions and a coffee table. There was also a desk and chair along one wall. The bed was not very comfortable, but ok for 4 nights. There was just enough room for my son to sleep on an air-bed in front of the fire-place.

The location simply cannot be beat and we enjoyed every minute of our stay here. The fireplace was an added bonus as it got pretty cold at night, dipping below freezing. The lodge provides wood, etc. for starters. We had great view of the canyon from our cabin window. So close in fact, that several people walking along the rim trail were looking in our window. This became a joke with us, and we just told them hello when they peered in.

We could not hear our neighbors talking as some have reported on this forum. Our room shared common walls with two other rooms, but this was not a problem. There were two doors to the cabin, one leading out a hallway to the parking area, and one leading out the front to the trail. You can park right next to your cabin, but it is not reserved parking. We had a wait until later in the night after other visitors left to get a parking spot right outside our door.

We paid a mere $134 a night for this supreme location and cute cabin. It was just a 2 minute stroll in the morning to get a coffee at the lodge while walking along the paved rim trail (note there are no coffee makers in cabins). It was great to be right on the rim at sunrise. I recommend it unreservedly. There were crowds along the rim before sunrise, but quickly diminished right after the sun came up. That was my best time at the canyon. I had complete and utter solitude just beyond the trailhead of the Bright Angel Trail and all along the rim trail for about an hour or so. It was marvelous.

A couple of things to note: (1) Don’t plan on hanging out in the lobby of the Bright Angel Lodge. Very limited seating and much smaller than I expected. (2) No internet access in rooms and only a credit card kiosk in the lobby which was out of order during out stay; (3) Bright Angel coffee shop is hit or miss. We went for breakfast one morning when there were PLENTY of open tables, but weren’t seated right away because the server for the section they were seating us in already had too many tables working. OK, fine, seat us in her section but assign a different server to us. It’s not rocket science, folks. We went to McDonalds in Tusayan instead. However, our previous two visits to the coffee shop were very good. Nice servers and good food.

One more tip: It’s early AM and you just want a quick coffee and maybe a pastry. Go to the “cocktail lounge” just off the lobby. It changes into a coffee shop in the morning. You order and pay at the waitress station at the far end of the bar. You can get it to go or sit there and eat. I always got a large hazelnut coffee and enjoyed it sitting along the rim just after sunrise. That is the best!

In conclusion, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Bright Angel Lodge. I would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
33  Thank Mamarama

Reviewed September 24, 2006

After not very positive hotel and food experiences in Yellowstone, we were unenthusiastic about spending 2 more nights on Xanterra properties. However, if you want to stay within Yellowstone, you have no choice in this matter as Xanterra is the only game in town.

The Bright Angel Cabin in which we stayed proved better than expected. We spent 2 nights there (Sept 20 and 21, 2006) while visiting the Grand Canyon. We had views of the Canyon from our cabin!!

The cabin offered a queen bed, TV, closet and bathroom with hair dryer. No coffee maker - booo, hiss!!

The sink in our room would not hold water, and the electric heater in the bathroom smelled as though it was burning. Not risking a fire, we turned it off, despite the cold room. The bathroom could use some renovation, but the cabins, given their advanced age, are in good condition and offer a lot of character.

Food service at the restaurant was slow, and the food was mediocre, although fairly pricey.

You are definitely paying for the view here. You might prefer the newer lodgings in the Park, or stay outside of the Park on Route 64.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
11  Thank EMTtraveler
Reviewed September 20, 2006

We stayed at the Bright Angel Lodge for one night on September 17, 2006. This stay was booked through Xanterra's only three weeks before we arrived. The Xanterra folks are always extremely helpful.

We ate at the restaurant on three seperate days and each time we did the servers were absolutely great. They treated you like you were a person and not just another customer. Very friendly and always there to refill that coffee cup. My wife and I thought the food was good too, maybe not up to some peoples standards but they would be the exception not the rule.

We stayed in a lodge room I believe (next year I have booked the Rim Cabins). This room had no television, I thought the bed was very comfortable and there were two of them. There was a desk with chair, a dresser, night stands and a small closet.

The bathroom was small but had what we needed the most, a shower with hot water not lukewarn water like we had at El Tovar two days earlier. This was extremely important to us because we had hiked down the South Kaibab Saturday morning, stayed at Phantom Ranch and then hked out the Bright Angel Sunday morning. If you are like my wife and I, a hot shower goes a long way after hiking out of the canyon.

The Bright Angel Lodge is also on the rim which I believe is inportant if you are doing alot of hiking, especially if you are coming out of the Bright Angel Trail. Location, location........ Location!!!

Everyone we dealt with were very helpful and friendly. You cannot go wrong in staying for a night or two at the Bright Angel Lodge! We are doing another hike to Phantom Ranch next year in September and on this trip I have booked three nights at Bright Angel.

Any questions at all about the trip/ stay at the rim of the Grand Canyon just e mail me at peten@yhti.net and I will try to answer your questions.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
15  Thank Redsledtoo
Reviewed September 20, 2006

we stayed in the bright angel lodge for 2 nights in august during our trip aroudn california. obviously its major plus is that it is located right (and i mean RIGHT!) on the edge of the canyon with a small wall around it to stop people falling into it! we spent two lovely evenings sitting on this wall with our legs dangling into the canyon drinking wine and watching the sunset which was beautiful. we tried both the restaurants which were equally delicious and they have a great 'pager' service so you dont have to queue for a table. the restaurants and the bar were very reasonably priced considering the location. we're not really into hiking but you can walk easily around the edge of the canyon or just wander down the trail for just a little bit, but no further than a couple of 100 metres without the right shoes! The room was cozy and well decorated with a comfy bed an private loo. the shower was good too and just opposite our door. Much better than we were expecting to be honest as it was quite cheap and we we ere only there for the location anyway. Definately reccommened.

Stayed: August 2006
20  Thank ellewellyn
Reviewed September 13, 2006

Obviously the location of all of the accomodation on the South Rim can't be faulted and we enjoyed our 2 nights here. The accomodation was a little disappointing however, even for the price. We were in the Powell lodge. It would have been nice to know whether we were in the lodge or a cabin in advance.
The room was basic, which we were expecting, but the bed was quite uncomfortable. The shower was along the corridor and the showerhead was broken, so that there was just one very forceful jet, not diffused at all. The shower curtain was too short, so the floor outside the shower got soaked. There was plenty of hot water though.
The food in the Lodge restaurant was perfectly ok, and there was certainly plenty of it.
I think if a friend was visiting, I would advise them to spend a little more money and try one of the other Lodges here. It was rather a disappointment after the North Rim. Maybe we should have reversed the order of our visit and gone South first.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank rilla
Reviewed September 4, 2006

Great location, basic but couldn't have asked for a better spot. Booked a year in advance and recommend this as there was a lot of others in line when we were checking in that hadn't booked and couldn't get a room for the night. We used the bus for most of our time at the caynon which meant we didn't have to worry about parking. An excellent area.

• Stayed: May 2005, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TravelChick78
Reviewed August 22, 2006

We were late getting a reservation, so we didn't get the best room they offer. That said, we really thought the room was so small. No TV in our room like shown in photos of other reviewers. So just be careful of what you are getting. The walls were PAPER THIN, didn't get good sleep at all. Some of the rooms share a bathroom (so we didn't get the worst room either). It was very clean though!

Staying on the rim of the GC is not to be missed if you're going to visit the canyon at all. I was told that seeing the sunrise/sunset on the canyon is it. We did, and it was very interesting to see the light at different times of the day. My personal favorite time of day was about 9-10 am, I could see more of the colors.

I included a photo of our room, a few of the canyon and one of the enormous sky with 90 miles visibility (versus 12 miles visibility on the east coast as an average).

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
The Grand Hotel at the Grand Canyon
Best Western Premier Grand Canyon Squire Inn
6 mi away
Holiday Inn Express Grand Canyon

Been to Bright Angel Lodge? Share your experiences!