“We turned around”

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“We turned around”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Wife and I tried to drive out in a Ford Edge SUV. It is a very rough road once you go past Widforss trail head, bouncey but not too bad for the vehicle we had. However, in early June it was very dry and the patches of sand freaked us out a bit. The first one was not too bad, but the second in the middle of a large beautiful meadow bogged us down to the point where I wasn’t sure we were going to make it through. At that point we turn around not wanting to risk being stuck out there. I was disappointed, but wife was relieved.

Visited June 2013
3 Thank jfowlerpa

Flagstaff, Arizona
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Perspective”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Whats all the fuss about the road to Point Sublime?

We were there during the Labor Day weekend of 2013. We did not get to see the Canyon for 2 days because of all the rain. The North Rim Visitors Center said that the road to Point Sublime was “impassable” because of the mud and flooding and that no one”should attempt it.

Most of the Kaibab Plateau consists of Kaibab Limestone…the roads simply do not lose their bottom; one would have to work very hard to get stuck, even in a 2 wheel drive car. There was one section of a rain induced intermediate creek crossing that was 18” deep and over 50 feet wide the first day we went out there (It was nearly dry the day after it quit raining). There was not a single instance when we felt like we were in jeopardy of getting stuck or when we felt like we needed to lock it in 4-wheel drive. We did have to put it in 4-wheel drive to pull 2 trees out of the road when we took the alternative road out to the north.

It is just a matter of perspective. We live in Northern Arizona and have driven in almost every conceivable road conditions. We did not find the road to be particularly narrow, rutted, steep, or scary. It is a very leisurely 1 to 1 ½ hour drive (during “impassable conditions”) through very scenic woods to one of the more spectacular view points from the North Rim.

Quit worrying. Get out there and have some fun!

Mike Mc

Visited September 2013
15 Thank mmacfive
Goodyear, AZ
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Point Sublime is a must see!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

If you have a high clearance vehicle you simply must check out Point Sublime! The day we went there was only one other person at the point - they were camping. The view is more than 180° and is to DIE for! For those of you who are thinking of camping, I noitced that there is an outhouse, and there are some really weathered picnic tables, but there aren't any grills to cook on. Take out what you bring in.

Visited June 2013
4 Thank Meow99
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Conquering the sublime trail”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Point Sublime trail was one of the most rewarding experiences of my holiday. Arriving at the north rim entrance one week early before the national park had opened (9th May, 2013), I was compelled to sneak into the national park pretending to be an employee (an accountant working for the national park services, wouldn't you believe). I proceeded to greet other employees at the lodge and ask them what some good sights were to see at the north rim (although it was already 5pm and it was getting dark). It was at this point I discovered the sublime trail, a 17 mile dirt road with a rewarding view at the end of it.

The gate to the trail was shut, and in my ford mustang convertible I managed to sneak under the gate by lifting one pole out of the ground and bending back the "do not enter" signs to just fit the car underneath (I bent them back after!) This is where the challenge began.

The trail had snow patches, broken down trees and puddles all along a wet dirt track - not suitable at all for a rear wheel drive car. If I got stuck on this trail who knows what could have happened with no cell phone coverage in the middle of no where at dusk. I challenged myself to drive around snow patches and accelerate fast through puddles/wet patches so I wouldn't get stuck. Adrenaline was kicking in really hard. After making it through the tough parts I came to a lookout point (about 3 mile before pt sublime) where I got out of the car and walked down a hill, through some shrubs and onto a white rock out in the open. The views were spectacular, I yelled out in joy just to hear my voice echo in the pleasant cool winter air (it was still snowing pretty heavily before the trail). It was 7 o clock at this point and it was getting dark. I had to keep going to the end and conquer this track. Towards the end it was an easy finish, just a narrow windy road where I saw some buffalo (I think?) moving along in a herd just before it. I pull up to the point and get out of my car. My ford mustang is dirty and beaten (thank god it was a rental). After, I recently read it was a 4WD only where 2WD cars could not make it through. Turns out I proves them wrong. As for the views, they were spectacular. Well worth the work. I felt so alive and rewarded at the sunsetting peak of the north rim. I sat on the north-most area of the point and waited for the sun to go beneath the canyon before I realised I should probably head back before I really put myself at risk (or prosecuted for trespassing). I was familiar with the tough spots of the track but almost got stuck uphill once on a muddy section. I said "c'mon baby" and she just made it up. We made it out, and I got back onto the highway and got out using the gate code they told me at the lodges. I wish I could have stayed longer, but I had to get back to vegas and check out the last bellagio fountain viewing of the night (got there just in time).

I have one regret -I regret not playing volleyball with the girls I met there doing walking trails and preparing them for the season. They were camping at the top of some car park where there is an entrance to some walking trail. They were really nice, genuine people. And I promise that if we meet again another time, I will come and play volleyball at the lodges. Oh and if the guy working in the gift shop (getting his law degree) reads this, I still yet have to check out that religious place in northern california. Sorry, I'm really bad with names.

- Josh, the "Accountant" working for the NPS.

Visited May 2013
3 Thank Spooner90
Centennial, Colorado
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“The highlight of our trip!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We decided to check out Point Sublime based on the reviews here and boy were we glad we did! It was absolutely incredible and our favorite part of our trip to the Grand Canyon. The views are spectacular and words can't express how beautiful they are. If you can make it up here - do it!

I would definitely recommend the 4x4 vehicle to get there. We were in a Toyota 4 Runner and while we didn't need 4-wheel drive the whole time, there were some tricky spots. There were a few spots that were soft sand and we had to be careful. I would not recommend going out there during monsoon season or after a heavy rain. It took us about an hour to get there even though we were told it would take 2.5. Check with the ranger station before heading out and be sure to take food/water as it is an isolated road. We also drove around to a couple of other nearby view points and in 4 hours of driving we didn't see another single soul. It would not be a good place to break down without supplies!

One random bit of info - at the top of Pt. Sublime there is a very nice vault toilet. We were surprised at how clean and not smelly it was! :-) There were also a few picnic tables. It was beginning to thunder (not the place you want to be in a storm!) so we decided not to have lunch there but it would make a great place to stop in good weather.

Visited July 2013