“Food casual Dining with nice view.”
Review of Arizona Room

Arizona Room
Cuisines: Southwestern
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

Arizona Room is billed as the second 'upscale' dining experience at the south rim (after el tovar). As such it is pricier than other options but less expensive than eT. But it's the only dining room with anything approaching a view that is reasonably affordable. I had the prime rib, a decent cut,cooked exactly as ordered, with chips and VERY good salsa to start, a serviceable salad, and baked potato and green beans -- for $26. I was a single diner; I went early because I know that lines form later, and the host parked me by the window. What's not to like?

1  Thank Tommyg2230
Write a ReviewReviews (1,404)

Reviewed August 17, 2012

As value for money, this was better than the overpriced El Tovar. Food was nice, acceptably priced, and service was friendly. Was pleased to find no wait to be seated during peak tourist season.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

Oh My God. We went here for lunch after a hike down the canyon to reward ourselves with a nice lunch. It was so bad it was comical. I ordered a Bison Burger. First, it was the size of a hockey puck -- it was completely raw inside. I mean -- a slab of wholly uncooked meat. I sent it back and asked simply for a turkey sandwich, which I figured would be the hardest thing on the menue to botch. It was the worst sandwich I ever bit into. The turkey was thick and frozen -- it actually had ice crystals in the middle. It was inedible. I asked the waitress what was so difficult about making a turkey sandwich. She told me that they make them in the morning and put them in the refridgerator. She was very nice -- I felt bad for her. That must happen to her 10 times a day.

1  Thank DaveR-CT
Xanterra, Food & Beverage Director at Arizona Room, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Dear DaveR-CT,

Thank you for taking the time to correspond with Trip Advisor regarding your recent dining experience at The Arizona Room at the Bright Angel Lodge. The situation you described is not in keeping with our goal to provide quality food for our guests. It is through comments such as yours that we are able to identify and correct any problem areas.

Your comments have been discussed with the Management regarding the quality of your meals you received, they also send their apologies. We pride ourselves in maintaining high quality of service at the Arizona Room and obviously we did not follow through with this on the evening of your stay.

Again please accept our apologies for any inconvenience you encountered while visiting the Grand Canyon. I hope that this experience does not dissuade you from visiting our facilities in the future so that you may experience our usual high standards of operation.

David Beckerleg
Food & Beverage, Director
dbeckerleg@xanterra.com

Reviewed August 11, 2012

Had lunch at the Arizona Room. During the summer, it's best to eat off peak meal times to avoid a wait. The service was really good. Enjoyed a window seat that I could view the Grand Canyon. The potato salad was really good with olives and red potatoes. The buffalo burger was disappointing because I asked for medium, but it was rare in the middle. The cheesecake with the prickly pear sauce was outstanding. I've never had it before and it was a nice surprise.

1  Thank NationalParkTravelor
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Good food, great views. Nothing gourmet, just good nourishment. Sandwiches & the like for lunch; I didn't see the breakfast or dinner menu, but I think they too would be good, basic, comfort food. Ice cream parlor attached!

1  Thank liket2travel