“Fantastic location”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grand Canyon National Park
North Rim Campground
San Diego, California, United States
“Fantastic location”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed here over the July 4th holiday. The campground is well set up and very well maintained. There was a fire ban in place but it was lifted after the thunder/hail storm. It was great to sit around by athe fire. There were also interesting ranger talks (free) right in the campground amphitheater. We loved it and will return for sure. Much calmer than the South Rim.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Karen S

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Massachusetts
Reviewed January 4, 2013

In planning our trip to the north rim we were pleased to find that everything we'd heard about the north rim lacking crowds was true. I haven't been to the south rim, but if it is anything like the other popular national parks I've been to, I imagine it is probably somewhat of a zoo. The north rim was nothing like that, and North Rim Campground was everything we could have hoped for. We stayed in the tent-only sites and found that the sites were spaced far enough apart to allow for a good amount of privacy while offering amazing views of the canyon. We made our reservations later than we would have liked so we were not able to reserve the same space for three nights in a row, but had no trouble making the transition from one site to another each morning. First night we stayed in site 6, which is right on the end facing the canyon. Site 4 the second night was also facing the canyon and had the most spectacular view, in my opinion. Sit 10 for the final night was across the parking lot from the canyon ledge but was still perfectly adequate for our needs. It can get cold at night so come prepared. We went in mid-September and it was about 70 degrees during the day but got down to 37 and super windy as soon as the sun went down. The North Rim Campground overall was fantastic. Quite and clean with hot showers and laundry for a reasonable fee. There are also lots of great hiking trails in the surrounding area for varying levels of ability. I really can't think of anything to complain about, it was such a perfect location and didn't have all of the gimmicky restaurants and attractions that you typically find close to national parks. I guess if you are looking for those kinds of things then this isn't the place for you - the only places to eat out are the coffee shop or the Grant Canyon Lodge up the road. I do recommend making your way over to the lodge to check out the sunset at some point because it does over additional amazing views. I can't recommend this enough for those who want to enjoy the canyon and nature without the crowds.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Ecrom
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We spent several days here and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Sites are located under large trees with good spacing between them, clean well maintained restrooms. Nice walk to lodge and rim trail with fantastic views of the canyon. Good camp store, nice gift shop and visitor center. Showers and laundry available. Only negative was garbage truck showed up at 7:30 a.m. a bit early.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MountainMe47
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We spent 4 nights at the North Rim Campground around July 4th. It is nice and shady, but not my favorite when compared to other campgrounds in nearby NP. First of all, there are very few tent only sites. We booked our trip 6 months in advance and they were all gone, so we picked up one of the other sites. There, it's a bit of a mix between RVs and tents, so the sight is not so fantastic.
The site was however very big. It was also very dirty! First thing I did with the kids was fill a trash bag, a first time ever in a NP! The bathrooms are OK, but I the "kitchen" sink is totally wrong! it is outside, it is placed way too low, so either you do the dishes on your knees or you end up with a backache. It is actually perfect to wash your feet! there is no plug, and you therefore waste a lot of water. Also no table or so to put your dishes. I guess it is OK for campers in an RV who don't need that kind of facility, but it's not OK for people in a tent.
All in all, it's a great place to be, simply because Grand Canyon is waouw! but with a little extra thinking, it could be even better.

Room Tip: If you're in a tent, try and get one of the few Tent sites. If they're all gone, take one on...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank 41Peterpan41
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I loved this campground, and wish we had been able to stay longer. There are many trees to offer shade, but also great expanses to watch the stars. The bathrooms are spaced well, are not shared by too many campsites and are clean. The campsites themselves were well spaced out, and easily spacious enough for two tents. I slept like a rock there--my most comfortable nigh of camping during my week of camping at various spots. The store is well stocked and not as overpriced as I might have feared, and the people who work there are great. I wish the showers were open longer (they are turned off at 7pm), but when they are open, they do the trick. $1.50 for 5-7 minutes, but the water is hot and the pressure good, and that's all you need! Plus, it means that there aren't lines when you need the shower. Also, the campground is within easy walking distance of several trailheads, including North Kaibab, which was great--we could roll out of bed at dawn and be on the trail just a few minutes later. And when you're done, you can walk to that awesome general store and get a surprisingly good cup of coffee. I can't wait to go back. As a note: we went mid-September and it was pretty cold. A summer sleeping bag won't be enough. I had my 3-season REI bag and some sweatpants, though, and was toasty warm all night. And the general store sold some cold-weather gear. I bought a $6 ear-warmer that was a godsend while I stargazed.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Hstcou
Springfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We just returned from our trip to the North Rim Campground at the Grand Canyon. It is a much less visited side of the Grand Canyon - 0nly 10% of all Grand Canyon visitors go to the North Rim. It's very different from the South Rim which is more touristy and has more commercial operations. The North Rim is a forest with the lodge, a restaurant, deli, campground and campground store. That's about it. The campground has about 47 sites (give or take a few group sites). There are no hook-ups, but there is a dump station with potable water. Most of the sites are good size. Our site was #37. I booked late and got a cancellation so I didn't have a lot of options, but it was a pretty good site. It is near the front of the campground and further away from the canyon. There are sites that sit right on the rim. We were also right near the bathroom and dumpster, but it wasn't too bad. It was an inside site (inside the one big loop) so it meant our camper door faced the road. They don't allow you to back in so your door faces the site anymore. We could have easily have fit our tent camper, two cars and at least three tents in our site, so it was plenty big for our little set up.
The bathrooms were clean most of the time. The ranger did a pottery program one night and the next day the bathroom was really dirty with left over clay from the hand on part. But other than that, the bathrooms were fine. The showers are pay showers located at the entrance to the campground and cost $1.50 for 5-7 minutes of hot water. Not too bad. There is also a laundramat. The campstore carries fresh fruit, produce, sells soft serve ice cream and all sorts of groceries and camp supplies including ice and firewood. It also has wifi and they don't mind if you go sit in their cafe and charge your electronics.
Ranger programs were very good and offered at the ampitheater each night. There were also programs offered at the lodge which is only about 1.5 miles away. There is a nice trail from the campground to the lodge with great views of the canyon.
Friends couldn't believe we'd go to the Grand Canyon on Labor Day weekend, but it really wasn't crowded and we had no problems in the campground - everyone was respectful of quiet hours and it wasn't overly filled. We had a great time.

Room Tip: Try to get a site near the rim (back of the campground).
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank KMR96
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I scoured these reviews looking for info on the best site to pick. We went with T-6 which is supposed to be the primo spot, but I wish we had chosen T-4 or T-5. We did have a beautiful view of the sunset in the first week of August and great stargazing from our site. But if you want to sit at your picnic table and look at the rim, chose T-4 or T-5. I did not go take a look at the sites T-1 thru T-3. Our site had trees along the edge that blocked the view of the rim. Granted, we only had to walk a few steps to have great views and the Transept view point for sunrise is very close. So I don't mean to complain, I just want to provide the info that I was looking for. The pads for tents are very nice and we fit 3 small tents on it. These sites are not huge but bigger then the sites at Mather on the South Rim, where we were really on top of each other. The camp host was very nice but he did come clean out our firepit at 7 in the morning, which was intrusive. The adults were up but the kids were still sleeping and, since we had the site until 10, I didn't really think he should be there. Also, in case you are interested, the site did have cell reception, which unfortunately, left us with kids texting in their tents. But they did have to walk all the way up to the general store to use the free wi-fi.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Maswik Lodge
Maswik Lodge
#3 of 3 in Grand Canyon National Park
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,796 reviews

Been to North Rim Campground? Share your experiences!