The grand canyon north rim is totally different than the south rim. It is a bit more remote and less developed. There is one road in and we were lucky enough to be greeted by an immense herd of bison and calves. It reminded me of South Dakota!
The Grand Canyon Lodge- North Rim was declared a national landmark in 1987. The design is from the early days of national parks. It is reminiscent of the Old Faithful Inn in Yellowstone. The views from he dining room and the patio are jaw dropping and not to be missed! The dining room is open for three meals a day and the food is good but a bit pricey. The only other food option is a small deli and the Rough Rider Saloon which does serve breakfast, appetizers, wings and beverages. Be aware you will not be staying in the lodge proper, accommodations consist of frontier cabins, western and larger pioneer cabins (remodeled in 2009), located close to the rim, as well as motel rooms.
Western cabins have two queen beds, sleep four, full bath and porch, nestled in pines. Rollaway beds and cribs are allowed in western cabins.
Pioneer cabins have two bedrooms separated by a three quarter bath and can sleep 6, no roll aways allowed, mini fridge and coffee pot, some rim side views.
Frontier cabins sleep three people one double and one single bed, standard views.
Motel rooms are quiet and private but far from the lodge, sleeps three max one queen bed and rollaway allowed, private bath. Very few of the rooms have rim views and you must book at least a year in advance to get those. All parking is in a main lot with the cabins arranged in a horse shoe shape around it, so it can bit a bit of a walk to your room. Registration is in the main lodge at the end of the road and there are normally only two people working the desk so it can get congested in the afternoon so try to get there early and make dining reservations early because food choices are limited. No TV or wifi at lodge and cell service is spotty.
The most impressive reason to visit the lodge is ...the canyon itself and don't miss the ranger led hikes. They are so fabulous. Only 10 percent of visitors go beyond the rim...don't make this mistake, get out there and experience the canyon. The canyon is an amazing collection of micro climates, flora fauna and geologic wonders and vistas. It is immense. If you don't know where to start check in with the rangers...this park has very knowledgable rangers, ask questions and explore! Take a drive, hike the trails or even take a mule ride...and be sure to catch the fabulous sunrises,sunsets and stars at night. The canyon is spectacular anytime of day!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The more remote North Rim offers up its beauty and solitude to those willing to make a little longer trek to cooler temperatures and greener vegetation of the Grand Canyon's less visited rim. Time means little here in this Nirvana for nature lovers…abundant forest beauty and wrap-around scenic splendor as sheer walls hold in the Colorado River a mile below. The only developed lodging within the National Park’s North Rim boundaries this historic treasure has cabins and lodging tucked into the trees and dotting the canyon edge. The historic dining room with wall to ceiling windows gives diners the unique opportunity to take in the Canyon's views and tasteful regional and sustainable delights for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Reservations are recommended. For guests seeking a unique remembrance of their visit to this special place, there is a gift store and convenience store located at the North Rim. Authentic Native American handcrafts, jewelry and merchandise that is U.S.A. made by local and regional artists provide an array of gift items for guests to the Grand Canyon. Smell the pines, listen to the fluttering leaves of quaking aspen, and keep an eye out for a California condor, the largest bird in North America. The North Rim of the Grand Canyon is only open from mid May to mid October. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Grand Canyon Lodge - North Rim reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Canyon Lodge - North Rim Hotel Grand Canyon National Park
- Canyon Grand Lodge North Rim