I must say, we were a bit apprehensive about our stay at the Grand Canyon, after reading several negative comments. But, we were more than pleasantly surprised. Yes, the cabin is small & rustic, without a TV or A/C, but we were expecting that. The beds certainly weren't the most comfortable, but we also weren't expecting luxury. We were there for the scenery, the sunset, the sunrise, and a little bit of hiking on the trails. Oh, and the stars! Everything we came for was as good, or better, than we expected.
The main lodge restaurant is a bit pricey, but probably what you would expect as a captive audience. We did the nature trail with the ranger in the morning, and enjoyed that. Our five year old granddaughter also earned her Junior Ranger badge, so she was happy about that. It is a good program for the kids. It peaks their interest in looking for things, so I would definitely recommend it.
On the way out, we came across a herd of buffalo on the side of the road, and thought that was pretty neat. Having gone to both the South Rim and the North Rim, we would probably only go back now to the North Rim. It's hard to beat the trails right along the rim, and with very few people. It was great!
PS - If you have Verizon cell phone service, you can even pick up a signal out by the rim!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The more remote North Rim offers up its beauty and solitude to those willing to make a little longer trek to cooler temperatures and greener vegetation of the Grand Canyon's less visited rim. Time means little here in this Nirvana for nature lovers…abundant forest beauty and wrap-around scenic splendor as sheer walls hold in the Colorado River a mile below. The only developed lodging within the National Park’s North Rim boundaries this historic treasure has cabins and lodging tucked into the trees and dotting the canyon edge. The historic dining room with wall to ceiling windows gives diners the unique opportunity to take in the Canyon's views and tasteful regional and sustainable delights for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Reservations are recommended. For guests seeking a unique remembrance of their visit to this special place, there is a gift store and convenience store located at the North Rim. Authentic Native American handcrafts, jewelry and merchandise that is U.S.A. made by local and regional artists provide an array of gift items for guests to the Grand Canyon. Smell the pines, listen to the fluttering leaves of quaking aspen, and keep an eye out for a California condor, the largest bird in North America. The North Rim of the Grand Canyon is only open from mid May to mid October. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Canyon Lodge - North Rim reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Canyon Lodge - North Rim Hotel Grand Canyon National Park
- Canyon Grand Lodge North Rim