“Upscale dining”

El Tovar Lodge Dining Room
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
“Upscale dining”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

The folks at El Tovar try very hard to provide a fine dining experience: padded tabletops, fine linens, good cutlery, etc. The staff is super attentive. Things may seem a bit chaotic but they try to accommodate as many folks as possible.
Having eaten there on a previous trip, I knew to call before we arrived to book a table and that was easy to do. It may be a bit pricey but you are a longggg way from 'civilization' so factor that in when you visit.
Also, this is the only place to eat in the park which takes reservations and our appetite for waiting in line for a table is non-existent so we are happy to pay a bit of a premium for a guaranteed spot.
Also, the lounge is nice and they have a small menu where you could easily get enough for dinner.

• Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
“Breakfast!”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Great breakfast! I tried something new for me, the Sonoran Style Eggs. Flat out amazing! Loved it so much we went back the next morning and was just as good! Definitely recommend!

Chicago, Illinois
“A little disappointing”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

First thing Grand Canyon staff says: you have a reservation for El Tovar? Need a reservation at least a month or more ahead. Well, we did get a reservation. And a pretty penny we did spend for what I consider average, at best, food. I had a nice fish based on a recommendation from our waiter. It was good, not great, but good, but at $32, I expect greatness, or at least, more flavorable. My daughter had the pork chops, also very pricey. The pork chops had a fantastic smokey, sweet flavor, but they were chewy, bordering on tough. No dining establishment has any business serving average to mediocre food at exorbitant prices. Well, maybe at the Grand Canyon, where you have little options. Our shared dessert, creme brulle, was, however, very good. Probably the best of all. However I may be a little tough, since this whole Arizona roadtrip was costing me a LOT. I must admit that I am glad we dined here anyway, if not just for the view and the experience. Had my fish been a little more tasty and my daughter's pork chops a tiny less chewy, this would have been a better review.

Winnipeg, Canada
“Pleasant late arrival snack”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

There is confusion amongst reviewers between the lounge and the dining room. You get bar snacks here and not "pub grub". The French fries were excellent but menu limited. Tired, hungry & arriving late, ...about 7:30 pm after a days travel, we didn't want to get into something fresher and upscale for dining room. Servers friendly and helpful but menu variety lacking. Adding a burger or clubhouse sandwich would be helpful for us late arrivals. I can understand that the hotel maybe trying to minimize non-residents of hotel from using the lounge as an inexpensive option for a meal because the lounge is small. They make more money serving cocktails to guests staying in the hotel. Upbeat servers make it a friendly place!

Visited April 2014
Marquette, Michigan
“Excellent & Poor”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

A strange title for a review, but that was our experience.

Dinner was spectacular! Wonderful atmosphere, great service and extremely good food. We had a fabulous young lady as our server who really knew how to make the experience special. Both the duck and the bison tenderloin far exceeded our expectations. The wine list was varied and not over priced. In fact the whole meal, while pricey was not over priced, given the setting.

However, breakfast was a different story. Our waiter was poor at best, totally distracted and inattentive. It took forever to get our food, which was OK, but barely warm. We would have sent it back had we seen him again before he brought the check.

I will use our dinner experience for my ratings.

• Visited March 2014