“Four Days of Hiking Beyond Expectations”

The Wildland Trekking Company
More attraction details
Owner description: The Wildland Trekking Company provides exceptional Grand Canyon hiking tours and backpacking trips in Grand Canyon National Park and to the famous Havasupai Waterfalls in Grand Canyon West. Our Grand Canyon hiking tours range from day hikes to all-inclusive, multi-day Grand Canyon backpacking trips to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and the Colorado River. We also offer inn-based Grand Canyon hiking tours to Phantom Ranch as well as hiking packages (inn-based and basecamp) from both rims. When it comes to Grand Canyon hiking, we're the experts! We've earned recognition in Backpacker Magazine, Men's Health, Sunset, and Lonely Planet Traveler, as well as on the Discovery Channel. Come join us for a Grand Canyon hiking adventure you'll never forget!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Clermont, Florida
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Four Days of Hiking Beyond Expectations”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Together with my wife I booked the Havasu Falls tour with Wildland Trekking already last year. We had the first positive surprise when Tess, one of the two tour guides asked us by email about our food preferences. The second surprise was that together with the other tour guide, Tiffany, they actually managed to provide excellent breakfasts (cold and meatless for us) and other meals as indicated on our wish list sent back by email (by chance most members of our group were health-conscious).

Both guides were very communicative and knowledgeable in every aspect of the tour: geology, wildlife, Native Americans and so on, and they had so many interesting and hilarious stories to tell.

Havasupai itself is an incredible place: So much landscape beauty concentrated in one region, such a pleasant climate, and so many friendly people, be it the Native Americans, other campers or the five other participating members of our group (some of them actually kept joking and laughing the whole day). The hikes were spent in relaxed style and thus were relatively easy for us. We also appreciated the guides keeping control, but without being too strict.

As we were not really used to the rigors and pleasures of camping, we appreciated the simple but adequate tent, mini-mattress and sleeping bag provided by Wildland Trekking.

It is interesting to compare this hiking tour with the four days of river rafting in the Grand Canyon we did with another company in May two years ago: Camping two miles downstream from Supai village was much easier than what we experienced on the river trip; easier but also much more crowded (approx. 200 campers and hikers in May). We mean for instance sleeping three nights in the same camp site in contrast to sleeping every night in another location. In Havasupai you also still have a reasonable level of civilization, whereas while rafting the Colorado the restroom question remained a burning topic for the whole trip.

Our recommendation: If you can, avoid signing up for the Havasu Falls tour in high season.

2 Thank proftourist

Wellington, New Zealand
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Top Ten life experience”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I recently (late April) completed the Grand Canyon Classic tour and it has to rate of one of the most amazing things I have ever done. I had previously visited the GC and looked over the rim on two occasions; both times I wanted to hike in but it looked way too challenging. It was for this reason that I wanted to complete a guided hike and based on the reviews here chose Wildland Trekking. I am so glad that I did as from start to finish the service, support and all round excellence that abounded was second to none. The trip was immaculately planned, the pre-trip guidance was accurate and timeous and our guide, Kristen, was fabulous providing friendly and knowledgeable support throughout. The tour group was only six people including our guide which made for a tight knit and supportive group and we all spurred each other along when we started to flag. The sunset hike and pasta dinner at plateau point will life with me forever; magical!
This was truly a trip of a lifetime but I want to go back and try a different route and will definitely use Wildland Trekking next time too.

Visited April 2013
Canada
“Best of Utah Base Camp tour”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I am a solo traveller and I enjoyed my time on the Best of Utah Base Camp tour with our guide Chris. His professionalism, enthusiasm for the area (history, nature and geology) and attention to detail made it an unforgettable and amazing adventure!!! He made sure every single one in the group was taken care of and his cooking was exceptional. I would highly recommend him as a guide, he is truly one of a kind.
The itinerary was excellent, everyday we experienced very different scenery which made it even more exciting. The gear provided was top of the line. I am so glad I found Wildland Trekking company. Planning to join more trips in the future!

Morgan Hill
“Mule Assisted Grand Canyon Classic”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I had the pleasure of going on this adventure as a treat to myself for my 55th birthday. I went with my sister in law, a long time friend and her husband( a group of 4). Eddie was our guide and he did a fantastic job. He knew all the best places to stop along the way and was very knowledgable about the Grand Canyon. He did a wonderful job with food preparation. It was all delicious and plentiful. I have a big appetite and thought there would not be enough food for me. I actually thought I would lose weight. I was wrong on both counts! This is truly the best way to enjoy a hike into the Grand Canyon. I just had to hike and enjoy the scenery and experience. Mules carried most of our gear and our wonderful guide did all the work of tent set up, take down, food prep and clean up. He was also very observant of our welfare and monitored how well we were handling the hiking. He was ready with an ACE wrap when one of our group was having trouble with her knee. As a result of this treatment and monitoring we had no further problems. On our lay over day in the canyon, only 2 of our group of 4 were up for a good hike. Eddie came up with a great plan to satify the whole group. He took 2 of us on a hike up to an overlook point while the other 2 rested at camp. Our group rejoined at lunch(another fabulous meal prepared by Eddie) then went on a pleasant ~ 2 mile hike to Phantom Falls. It is a beautiful spot but the rare sight that I observed was us 4 adults laughing with the giddy joy that you usually only see on young children. Our ages are in our 50-60"s but we were like a bunch of 5 year olds playing in the swimming hole. Thanks for the great experience.

Cardiff-by-the-Sea, California, United States
“Great Experience!”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We were in Sedona for the week and found that the Grand Canyon was 2 hours away. But how do you begin booking a last-minute trip to a place you've never been? I googled the Grand Canyon, found Wildland Trekking and called. The person I spoke with was so helpful. She answered all the questions a "first-timer" like me would have (where to stay, where to eat, what to bring, etc.)
The guided hike from Wildland Trekking was small and personal (maximum 7). On this hike, there were only 2 other people besides my husband and myself. Betsy, our guide, made this experience so enjoyable and interesting. She talked about the birds, the flora, the geology and the history. She brought along a wonderful picnic feast for us to share at the 1/2-way point and lots of snacks and goodies for the rest of the hike. It was a fantastic experience and my husband and I highly recommend this complany.