I spent 2 days down here at the bottom of the canyon having hiked down from the south rim. We stayed in one of the bunkhouses, five of us. On one night we had 5 other roommates sharing with us. On the next night only one other. But I think during busy season, all the bunks will be full. The bunkhouses are very basic but there is heat for the colder weather and air conditioning for the very warm. The windows do open. But there is only one toilet, sink, and shower for the whole group, plus all of the space is shared. Basic bedding is provided. There are no official quiet hours so this may not appeal to some potential visitors. Though the restaurant/lounge closes about 10, in the warmer weather some people may stay up through most of the night. Those who come down on the mule rides for the overnight generally stay in the cabins which, of course, are private and have better facilities. There's also a campground closer to the river with toilet and wash facilities. The restaurant has a couple of formal seatings for breakfast and dinner. There's a pack lunch for the grabbing at breakfast. The lounge and gift store open at specific hours during midday and evening. From the ranch there are about 1/2 dozen formal hikes and lots of scrambles. And, of course, you'll be right down on the river. This is truly a beautiful setting, especially in the clear light of the night full moon. But it's not a 5 star accommodation. And cell service is spotty. Be sure you inquire at the visitor center at one of the rims about availabilities and costs before you make your journey.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Phantom Ranch is a historic oasis nestled at the bottom of Grand Canyon. It is on the north side of the Colorado River tucked in beside Bright Angel Creek. Phantom is the only lodging below the canyon rim. The Ranch can only be reached by mule, by foot or by rafting the Colorado River. Overnight accommodations at Phantom Ranch consist of dormitory spaces and cabins. Cabins and dormitories are heated in winter and cooled during the summer months. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cancelon and Hotwire so you can book your Phantom Ranch reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Phantom Ranch Hotel Grand Canyon National Park
- Phantom Ranch Grand Canyon
- Grand Canyon Phantom Ranch