We had a delightful stay at Phantom Ranch, and I would highly recommend booking your stay well in advance! We went in early December, and I was lucky that I was able to book two spots in the dormitory for one night when I called in October. (We tried for two nights, but they were already booked). The breakfast and dinner might seem a little pricey, but it's well worth it considering you don't have to carry down a dinner and breakfast for yourself in your backpack. We also ordered two lunches, but next time, I might just bring my own sack lunch, as I wasn't terribly impressed. I wasn't all that hungry (surprisingly) and didn't eat a lot of it. Perhaps in the summer in the heat, I would have had more of an appetite. I didn't call ahead to see if they had showers in the dorms, but I was happy to see that they did. Each dorm has about ten beds and because of the awful weather when we went down, there were only three of us in my dorm. The staff was friendly, as were all of the people we met while we were there. I loved this trip, and I am trying to get everyone I know to hike down, as well. Hiking back up is physically challenging, but resting for a night or two in between hikes at Phantom Ranch will help out a lot. Highly recommended!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Phantom Ranch is a historic oasis nestled at the bottom of Grand Canyon. It is on the north side of the Colorado River tucked in beside Bright Angel Creek. Phantom is the only lodging below the canyon rim. The Ranch can only be reached by mule, by foot or by rafting the Colorado River. Overnight accommodations at Phantom Ranch consist of dormitory spaces and cabins. Cabins and dormitories are heated in winter and cooled during the summer months. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Phantom Ranch Hotel Grand Canyon National Park
- Phantom Ranch Grand Canyon
- Grand Canyon Phantom Ranch