*This review is for the meals. My group stayed at the nearby campground, but were able to reserve meals at the ranch.
Phamtom Ranch is in the middle of the grand canyon. The nearest road is 7.1 miles away via the grueling South Kaibab trail. It is the only dining option inside the canyon and good luck if you don't have reservations! Although, you could buy candy bars and such if you were really desperate.
The food is hearty and filling, even for the famished hiker. For dinner, they served stew and vegetarian chili, along with cornbread, chocolate cake, vegetables, tea and coffee, all in ample supply. They also had a steak option. The lunches, were just as fulling. I ate my lunch on the hike out and could not finish it.
The sweetest thing (beside the chocolate cake) was that I did not have carry the meal in on my back, saving my knees and blistered feet.
Getting the reservations was a bit tricky. They were all filled up the first time we called. However, we were persistent and found a number of spots actually opening up in the two weeks immediately before our embankment into the canyon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Phantom Ranch is a historic oasis nestled at the bottom of Grand Canyon. It is on the north side of the Colorado River tucked in beside Bright Angel Creek. Phantom is the only lodging below the canyon rim. The Ranch can only be reached by mule, by foot or by rafting the Colorado River. Overnight accommodations at Phantom Ranch consist of dormitory spaces and cabins. Cabins and dormitories are heated in winter and cooled during the summer months. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Phantom Ranch Hotel Grand Canyon National Park
- Phantom Ranch Grand Canyon
- Grand Canyon Phantom Ranch