“Beautiful but remote location”
Review of Toroweap Point

Toroweap Point
More attraction details
Owner description: Acrophobes may want to avoid this overlook, on the remote part of the North Rim, which provides awesome Canyon views from sheer cliffs nearly 3,000 feet high above the Colorado River.
Salt Lake City
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Beautiful but remote location”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

To get there you have to take a long dirt road but when you get there the views are wonderful. You need a high clearance vehicle or you run the risk of damaging the vehicle. The last few miles of the road are the roughest. The campground has great (non-smelly) pit toilets. Plan on bringing plenty of water. There is non there.

There were no fees to enter the Park or camp. The campground did fill by early afternoon and people were waiting to take our spot when we left about 10:00am. Our visit was in mid-April. Plan on spring and fall being busy.

Visited April 2014
3 Thank Paul B

olympia, wa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“toroweap in a rental mustang!!”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Awesome place...well worth the trip!!
By reading the reviews you would think you needed a Humvee and 10 spare tires to drive this gravel road. C'mon people, it's not the road of bones across Siberia or Ruta 40 in Patagonia!! It's just a gravel road with a few rocks here or there....geez...

Visited April 2014
9 Thank kramnamhoh
San Diego, California
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Life Changing Perspectives”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I go to Toroweap 2x a year to get filled back up with its stark, death defying beauty and danger. This is NOT the commercial Grand Canyon overlook as you have seen it on the South Rim. This one is well off the beaten path. All the more reason to go and experience it for yourself. The views cannot be put into words. I've been there on unbelieveably beautiful days, and I've been there when the approaching storm seen miles away at first dumped on us. You can go by car but the last couple of miles must be slow go with a lot of patience. I go by licensed dirt bike. In my opinion, this the the best way to go for a few hours or for a day. If you are camping overnight, yes, a car will help you bring supplies. Don't forget firewood. Bring food, water and extra spare tires.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Ricksteraux
Las Vegas, Nevada
68 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 191 helpful votes
“A Place Like No Other”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Toroweap:

I recently took my third trip to this most awesome, precipitous canyon rim in the American Southwest. I just wanted to go again, making the excuse to myself that I may not have photographed it from every vantage point, or in every light, or in a variety of weathers.

If you have ever stood out on the Visor on the Summit of Half Dome, or on Taft Point in Yosemite, you will no doubt have been awe struck by the space below your feet, but Taroweap adds another dimension. In Yosemite, the views are inspirational and uplifting, the green valley floor, with the meadows, trees and river below are a thing of beauty. But at Taroweap, the dominant feeling is that of awe at the power of nature, a feeling for the true age of our planet, and a certain loneliness and trepidation as you take in the views from the rim.

Often you will be the only person there!

I tried to write a review when I returned from a previous trip there, but found that everything I wanted to say had been written so much better than I could by a previous reviewer on this thread - by “Chuppacabra.” on Aug 23rd 2011 I recommend any casual viewer of this review look his up and enjoy – both his review and your adventure.

I did write to Chippacabra to say how much I enjoyed his review and we corresponded a couple of times, so he will not be surprised by my recommendation.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Drew I
Washington DC, District of Columbia
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Consider Giving Back”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Have you ever thought about volunteering with the National Park Service? If so, check out volunteer.gov for tons of opportunities.

I just finished a week helping the Grand Canyon National Park Service Vegetation Crew removing Invasive Plants -- yup pulling weeds, putting cairns (piles of rocks) on hiking trails, cleaning up campsites, checking fences outlining the park for cuts, etc.

In return, we stayed at Tuweep (also called Toroweep) Campgrounds and learned all about the Grand Canyon from National Park Service staff, lunched at the Overlook 3,500' above the Colorado River, It's an experience I'll long remember.

Tips: 4 wheel drive, high clearance is mandatory. The roads and the entrance into the campgrounds can be rough, VERY ROUGH. Always carry 1 or 2 extra tires and expect no cell coverage. This is backcountry and isolated. If you aren't ready for possible mishaps, it's best to find another campground but if you're up for an adventure, this is definitely the place. The views are incredible!!

Visited April 2013