“Life Changing Perspectives”
Review of Toroweap Point

Toroweap Point
More attraction details
Owner description: Acrophobes may want to avoid this overlook, on the remote part of the North Rim, which provides awesome Canyon views from sheer cliffs nearly 3,000 feet high above the Colorado River.
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I go to Toroweap 2x a year to get filled back up with its stark, death defying beauty and danger. This is NOT the commercial Grand Canyon overlook as you have seen it on the South Rim. This one is well off the beaten path. All the more reason to go and experience it for yourself. The views cannot be put into words. I've been there on unbelieveably beautiful days, and I've been there when the approaching storm seen miles away at first dumped on us. You can go by car but the last couple of miles must be slow go with a lot of patience. I go by licensed dirt bike. In my opinion, this the the best way to go for a few hours or for a day. If you are camping overnight, yes, a car will help you bring supplies. Don't forget firewood. Bring food, water and extra spare tires.

1  Thank Ricksteraux

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Toroweap:

I recently took my third trip to this most awesome, precipitous canyon rim in the American Southwest. I just wanted to go again, making the excuse to myself that I may not have photographed it from every vantage point, or in every light, or in a variety of weathers.

If you have ever stood out on the Visor on the Summit of Half Dome, or on Taft Point in Yosemite, you will no doubt have been awe struck by the space below your feet, but Taroweap adds another dimension. In Yosemite, the views are inspirational and uplifting, the green valley floor, with the meadows, trees and river below are a thing of beauty. But at Taroweap, the dominant feeling is that of awe at the power of nature, a feeling for the true age of our planet, and a certain loneliness and trepidation as you take in the views from the rim.

Often you will be the only person there!

I tried to write a review when I returned from a previous trip there, but found that everything I wanted to say had been written so much better than I could by a previous reviewer on this thread - by “Chuppacabra.” on Aug 23rd 2011 I recommend any casual viewer of this review look his up and enjoy – both his review and your adventure.

I did write to Chippacabra to say how much I enjoyed his review and we corresponded a couple of times, so he will not be surprised by my recommendation.

1  Thank Drew I
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Have you ever thought about volunteering with the National Park Service? If so, check out volunteer.gov for tons of opportunities.

I just finished a week helping the Grand Canyon National Park Service Vegetation Crew removing Invasive Plants -- yup pulling weeds, putting cairns (piles of rocks) on hiking trails, cleaning up campsites, checking fences outlining the park for cuts, etc.

In return, we stayed at Tuweep (also called Toroweep) Campgrounds and learned all about the Grand Canyon from National Park Service staff, lunched at the Overlook 3,500' above the Colorado River, It's an experience I'll long remember.

Tips: 4 wheel drive, high clearance is mandatory. The roads and the entrance into the campgrounds can be rough, VERY ROUGH. Always carry 1 or 2 extra tires and expect no cell coverage. This is backcountry and isolated. If you aren't ready for possible mishaps, it's best to find another campground but if you're up for an adventure, this is definitely the place. The views are incredible!!

3  Thank JayneHikingAddict
Reviewed April 5, 2013

If you are trying to visit the North Rim of the Grand canyon the regular North Rim road closes after the first snowfall usually in November and does not open until May. That being said this is a great way to get Grand Canyon views if you have a vehicle that can handle the off road. If you start from the road east of Pipe Spring National Monument it is exactly 60 miles. When we went in March the road was in great condition and maintaining 45mph for the first 50 to 55 miles was not difficult. It was a dry day and I suspect the road may have been recently graded because there was little wash-boarding and no wet spots at all. If you are up for hiking the road the last 3 to 4 miles you do not need a rugged 4x4 vehicle. Do not take this trip with soft rental car tires or soft everyday tires, you are asking for it if you do. If you do get a flat turn around and go home. The view from the area near the bathroom is awesome and you are not near a cliff. The views from other areas can be a bit scary so watch your step. There are 3 picnic tables and the normal National Park toilets once you get to the end. If exploring Utah and Arizona on a dry day in Feb, March and April you cannot go wrong.

Once we made it to Toroweap a kind family directed us on where to be careful and where to watch your step. We hiked around, had some lunch and hiked around some more. We tried the Saddle Horse Canyon Trail, but it was hard to follow, look for stacked rocks. It is hard to get lost though as you will not forget where the canyon is. Remember there is literally nothing but your own senses stopping you from going over the edge. Search Death in the Grand Canyon and you will find that is has claimed nearly 700 people over the years. If you have children you need to be extra careful at all times.

All in all this was one of the best days I have ever had in the Utah Arizona area!!! I cannot imagine it gets much better than this for anyone who likes to hike, camp or off road. Throughout the day we saw 15 cars and no one changing a flat, but be prepared. Have fun!!!!

7  Thank JerkHusband
Reviewed December 5, 2012

We planned 2 years for this spot! Finally, we got our lovely Subaru Outback and headed for Toroweap. You got to have a 4WD & High clearance vehicle to get here. The dirt road took us 2 hours to get to the camp ground. Much faster than we expected. The first 40 miles is easy if you have the right car. The most difficult parts are at the last 20 miles. 1st is the uphill path after passing the ranger station. The 2nd one and I rated it as the most difficult one is at the entrance of the camp ground. Our Subaru "walked" down the stones step by step. And the last one is at the end of the road at the toroweap view point. Besides the spectacular view at Toroweap view point, I was reveled by the starry sky when we got up at 4:00 am for sunrise photography. We highly recommend to spend a night here to enjoy all of these wonderful time!

8  Thank QuiQui12