“Long Majestic drive, we'll worth it!”

Grand Canyon North Rim
More attraction details
Owner description: Word of mouth has that the more remote, harder to get to and therefore less crowded North Rim offers a more authentic Canyon experience and better views. However, there is no bus service on this rim and it is closed during the winter.
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Views are more spectacular at north rim. Make sure to take the drive to Point Royal and Olympic road for out of the way, off the beaten path for a real feel for the best nature has to offer at the Grand Canyon. Go through the Park Lodge to the outside for great views and trails

Had breakfast and dinner at the top of rte 89 where roads turn south toward the park. Very rustic and friendly

Write a ReviewReviews (2,112)
All reviews
in 33 reviews
"worth the trip"
in 33 reviews

Reviewed August 30, 2013

I stand in awe of this magnificent creation. The colors are so beautiful, the depts at places scary, and the vastness incredible. If you don't like walking, there are scenic windows in the Lodge. The Lodge itself is worth seeing for his beauty. Each day there are programs of all sorts on the back patio or elsewhere within the Lodge area. Log cabins, some with an overview of the canyon itself, are near the Lodge and available to rent. Early reservations for the cabins and restaurant are recommended. Each day is different at the canyon. The sun, clouds, rain, fog alter its appearance. If you are somewhat adventuresome, you might take a side trip to Imperial Lookout. A 3/4 look at that part of the canyon. There is Cape Royal and several stops at senic overlooks along the way. There is even a spot with the foundations of earlier peoples homes - near Cape Royal. People are friendly and talk with you about their experiences. North Rim not nearly so crowded as the South Rim. That is changing though slowly. I think visiting the Grand Canyon is almost spiritual in nature.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

We've been to the south rim and marveled at that, but loved the north rim even more. The canyon is deeper at the north end and the view is breathtaking. The setting is rustic and far less crowded and commercial- feeling than the south. We were there in late May but the weather wasn't exactly springish. The wind was howling and the temperature cold. There was snow on the ground. Be aware. We sat inside the lodge to stay warm and looked out the huge windows at the lovely sight, loving every minute. We had to force ourselves to leave that magically spectacular view.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

The first time I came here, I drove to the end, got out, took 15 pictures with a point and shoot, got back in my car and left. I can not stress enough how dumb I was!! This time I went online to various places(TripAdvisor) and was prepared! What a wonderful time I had, even with the rain!!
The scenic 23.5 mile with five viewpoints and very short walks was the highlight of my visit. All paved roads and paved walkways was just right for me. Some times I had to wait out the rain and the clouds, but it turned out just great. Now that I know how great it is, I will go back again!!

See more reviews
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

The Grand Canyon is an amazing and unique place. The views were amazing, and better than expected after other reviews stated that they were not as good as the south rim. I have been to both sides and believe thay both are equally amazing. The south rim is an amazing place to see the Grand Canyon, and the north is great if you want to feel as though you can explore the place without crowds. It feels like people don't ruin the experience! l loved it.

We drove through Colorado onto I-70. It is an amazing drive. The down side to this surrenity is its isolating location. We needed a new car battery and had to leave early because it was so far to a place that sold them (70 miles one way). Yet, this is why this place is so special!

Lots of great hikes suitable for all fitness levels. The campground is good and has showers at a cost of $1.50 for about 9 minutes. Store at the campground for your basic needs. Advice- get good hiking boots, come prepared, expect rain!