South Kaibab Trail
$178.99*
and up
Grand Canyon Day Hike Tour from Sedona
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the two superhighways into the Canyon, the other being the Bright Angel Trail, this path runs along a ridge offering stunning views. During the summer, visitors are advised to bring at least two quarts of water along because it can get very hot and the trail offers no shade.
Reviewed January 16, 2014

We did a rim-to-river-to-rim hike with reservations at Phantom Ranch in January. We traveled down the South Kaibab trailhead. The views are absolutely spectacular!

Do be prepared. There is very little shade on the trail. There is no water available on the trail. There are bathrooms at Cedar Ridge and Tip Off (they happened to be very clean the day we were there). At the time we were there, there was no ice or snow on the trail making it very easily traveled.

It took us four hours to get from the trailhead to the river; we shortly stopped to snack/bathroom twice. We also stopped several times for photographs.

For a more strenuous day hike, consider going to just past Skeleton point where you can get a glimpse of the Colorado River.

Also note that there are toilets and water at the trailhead; the orange bus makes a stop at the trailhead. There was not a picnic table available in winter at the trailhead, but we found some nice rocks to sit on at the rim. What a view!!

2  Thank warrenville111
Write a ReviewReviews (1,369)

Reviewed January 16, 2014

There is a big change in altitude, so be fit. But otherwise, the trail is smooth and easy walking. The views are amazing because the trail follows the ridgeline.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

I did the hike down the Grand Canyon and back up on April, 2013. Total time was 10 hours from 7am to 5pm - 3.5 hours down, one hour at the bottom and lots of photo stops – 270 pics with a DSLR and an iPhone. Spectacular and well worth it though I much preferred the South Kaibab Trail (down) to the Bright Angel Trail (up) which I found boring. I might do South Kaibab up and down next time.
Would not like to do this on a hot day. I had a perfect day – sunny and around freezing at the start and probably around 70 at the bottom. Although I am over 65, I am a fit, reformed marathoner. Do not attempt this hike on a hot day and/or if you are not fit.
There is no water available on the South Kaibab Trail. There is water at the bottom and at several points on the Bright Angel Trail. The South Kaibab Trail is more open, along a ridge, with outstanding views and panoramas – it is steeper and shorter – 4860’ vertical and 7.4 miles. The Bright Angel Trail is more of a valley trail – less views but more shade – it is longer and less steep – 4460’ vertical and 9.9 miles.
Advice is take lots of water, especially on a hot day. Being cautious, I took too much water, especially for the cooler weather in April. Dress in layers. I used a hiking pole and found it to be very helpful both down and up.
Great experience and I would love to do it again. Well worth going part way down the South Kaibab trail (Cedar Ridge or Skeleton Point) for the experience and the views.

4  Thank Whistledown
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I have had the pleasure of hiking this trail 5 times. It is the shortest way down to Phantom Ranch, but the most steep. There is no water, so come prepared. Resist the temptation to run, because if you are not trained this will cause major aches the following day when it's time to hike out. Gorgeous views all the way down and lots of Kodak moments. Plan on 3-4 hours, but could take longer if you take lots of photo breaks. Suggest trekking poles as that helps take some pressure of the knees with all the steps down. Enjoy - one of my favorite hikes!

2  Thank Cindy M
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I do NOT like hiking - period. But my friend does, and it's the Grand Canyon. So if there's one place to do it, it would be here. We arrived on the 3rd day of the "inversion," where a thick fog/cloud was completely covering the entire canyon when viewed from the rim. It was not bad at all going down, and we got to Cedar Ridge where we finally got under the clouds and could see the canyon open up under us. It was BEAUTIFUL (hiking is worth it after all!)! We stayed there for 45 min or so, where I hydrated and munched on some trail mix (I get dehydrated very easily, so I brought 2.5 bottles of water/gatorade with me. I didn't need all of it, but I felt safer with it). We took a bunch of photos and then started our way up -- WOW. That first 2 minutes was all steep stairs. Please take it easy. Both of us are reasonably fit, but those first 2 minutes were rough! I begged for a break, literally 20 steps up from Cedar Ridge. After those steps, though, it was easier getting back up and after a few more breaks (on my account) we made it up no problem. The hike was worth it - highly recommend it!