“Worth doing to see the canyon in a unique way”
Review of South Kaibab Trail

South Kaibab Trail
Book In Advance
More Info
$178.99*
and up
Grand Canyon Day Hike Tour from Sedona
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the two superhighways into the Canyon, the other being the Bright Angel Trail, this path runs along a ridge offering stunning views. During the summer, visitors are advised to bring at least two quarts of water along because it can get very hot and the trail offers no shade.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

South Kaibab is great to see the canyon in an intimate way. Tough hike so be prepared (good shoes, good socks, lots and lots of water- did I mention water?) Best to do in the early morning as their is little shade. Our 10 and 13 yr olds loved it. Saw a big-horned sheep on the mountain and we were walking along. Watch out for mule droppings though since this is one of the many trails they take. We didn't walk all the way to the bottom but were able to have a great experience.

3  Thank Faith_Grubbs
Write a ReviewReviews (1,543)
All reviews
in 15 reviews
"turn around"
in 24 reviews

Reviewed July 21, 2013

My husband and I loved hiking this trail. Unlike the Bright Angel Trail (hiked the day before) this trail goes out into the canyon and you really get to see the canyon. This trail does not have a lot of shade or any water so bring plenty of water. I recommend hiking poles for this hike it made a huge difference on our knees and ankles, definitely made the trip a lot easier.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Beautiful cannot go wrong, hiking on any of the trails
Disliked, nothing I lived in Arizona for 17years, went to the Grand Canyon many times different times of the year

Reviewed July 17, 2013

When I first visited this trail (18 years ago) there were warning signs about not hiking if you were pregant, so I vowed I would have to return. And I did, this tiime with the culprits who held me back the first time. This trail is so picturesque. There is a different view at every single turn. We didn't find it that steep or strenous. I'd rank it easy/moderate at least for the first few thousand feet. We only climbed down for about 90 minutes and made it back in just over 90 minutes (guess we took too many pictures on the way down). Would definitely recommend it. Go at your own pace and kick it off your bucket list! You won't regret it.

2  Thank Maureen M
See more reviews
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We hiked down to the river via South Kaibab. Despite no water stops, I preferred the views on this side to those on Bright Angel. Legs were quite fatigued from the constant downhill. Since this trail does NOT offer water stations, bring plenty of water. We started at sunrise and I drank 3 liters of water on the way down - ran out just in time to fill up on the other side of the bridge - be aware though, that it takes about 2x/ the time to hike up as it does to hike down...so if I had not gone all the way to the river, I would not have had enough water on me to come up that same side of the trail. Make sure you have plenty of food as well - salty stuff, fruit, etc. and watch out for aggressive squirrels that aren't afraid to come to you to steal food. There's only one potty stop, and very few places to duck behind a bush to pee. Don't be shy about taking sit-down breaks in the shade.

2  Thank Stefanie F