“Day hike to Ooh Aah Point” 5 of 5 stars

$179*
and up
Grand Canyon Day Hike Tour from Sedona
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the two superhighways into the Canyon, the other being the Bright Angel Trail, this path runs along a ridge offering stunning views. During the summer, visitors are advised to bring at least two quarts of water along because it can get very hot and the trail offers no shade.
Orange Park, Florida
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Day hike to Ooh Aah Point”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This is a fantastic, must do, short day hike for those without acrophobia and who are in good physical condition. RULES: Bring adequate water and wear proper shoes. I actually saw a woman in fashion boots with a 1-2" heel and I saw teenagers in flip flops. Hike smart people. This is the back country not the shopping mall. WARNING: Mules (they are not donkeys) have the right of way! This means that THEY own the trail when coming up or down. Respect these wonderful animals and listen to the cowboy for direction. Always move towards the canyon wall or in a safe spot off the trail to allow the mule train to pass. It took my 13 year old son and I about 40 minutes to reach Ooh Aah Point and about twice that to climb back to the rim. This is a crowded outcrop with lots of spectators. Be mindful of each other and hike early to beat the crowds!

Visited March 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Marcos
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Nice trail plus tip for making it longer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I enjoyed this trail but I personally liked Bright Angel trail better. This trail does offer a view of more of the canyon itself. Bright Angel trail is blocked on both sides so you don't see as much but the trail itself I thought was nicer. You can hike all the way to Tonto trail and cut across 4 miles to Bright Angel and up that trail for a 13 mile hike. My husband and I did this but first walked from the visitor center to this trail (not recommended because it made our hike about 15.5 miles total). We are in what I could consider very good shape and we found this to be very challenging. If you do the 13 mile loop bring A LOT of water and make sure you are in great shape. It is harder than you would expect.

Minnesota
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“A little tricky!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I have to say I wasn't feeling my best the day we hiked this trail. The views are spectacular & magnificent ... basically the trail follows a ridge line and all the way up you are on the "outside" so when you meet someone, my advice is to stop and let them pass. There's not much trail etiquette ... my feeling is that the exhausted souls heading UP THE TRAIL, have the right of way without question (my husband and I had a big debate about this). My feeling is that your pretty rickety on the way up so people headed down should just get out of the way. DON'T MISS ANY OF THESE TRAILS! they're spectacular ... but hold on to the kids!

1 Thank red728
NH
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Must do. Major Wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We took shuttle bus and got there at 8:30. Still some ice and snow on upper switchbacks but all doable. Took to heart the warning not to go to base and back in one day. Easily could have. Got to cedar point. Really feel part of canyon when you climb down. My two teenagers loved it. And views amazing. Scale better understood than by the rim walks. Truly one of the highlights for all of us

Visited March 2013
1 Thank exBostonian
Seattle, Washington
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Perfect day trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I wrote a lot of detail on this in my grand canyon review. We loved this day trip and highly recommend it.