“Great for mom and dad... A little long for the kids.”
Review of Iceberg Lake

Iceberg Lake
More attraction details
Owner description: This spectacular lake, bordered on three sides by mountains and located 1,000 feet above the trailhead, has patches of ice even in the warmest months.
Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

This was a beautiful hike! Great views and the lake was beautiful. We were hoping to see more wildlife but only saw ground squirrels which was a little disappointing. Considering we were armed with out bear spray! We have a 14,12,11,and 8 year old... This hike was a little long for my 8 year old. It took us about 6 hours total. I would love to do it again in a year or two. I would also pack a lunch and eat it at the lake next time.

1  Thank Lindsayze

Reviewed July 20, 2012

I did this amazing hike on July 8, 2012 with my 21 year old daughter. It's almost 10 miles round trip and one of the most beautiful hikes you can imagine! The trail was mostly clear with a few areas towards the end where the trail passed through some snowfields. Main Iceburg Lake was still mostly frozen & snow covered, with water visible just around the edges of the lake. My daughter heard a bear snorting just off the trail, and we saw bear scat ON the trail that looked pretty darn fresh. It's prime bear habitat, but I felt safe on this popular trail since we were often near other hikers. We completed the hike in 4 1/2 hours which included the 20 minutes we spent enjoying our snack & rest time at Iceburg Lake. Apparently when rangers lead this hike, they allow 6 - 7 hours. No wonder I was exhausted and sore by the time we were done! The gorgeous views, lush and varied terrain, wildflowers, and the spectacular destination of Iceburg Lake made this my favorite hike ever! Just practice bear awareness & safety, bring plenty of water, and don't forget your camera & sunscreen.

2  Thank katbera
Reviewed July 11, 2012

This is the most honest 4.7 miles you'll ever hike, but the reward is worth it. The trail ends up at the iceberg lake. Take your lunch, stop and breathe in the awesome, cool, fresh air.

Reviewed May 30, 2012

Easy hike but bring snacks... if you want to share with the bears....

Reviewed May 30, 2012

Each time I've hiked Iceberg Lake, I've seen bears. About a quarter mile into the hike, you have a view of the hillside far above and you're almost always guaranteed to see bears there and you usually need binoculars to get a really good look. However, last summer our encounter was a little closer. We were almost to the end of the trail, so close we could see the cars in the parking lot down the hill when a black bear popped out on the trail about 30 feet in front of us. Since Iceberg is a popular trail, there were plenty of people coming up behind us and some on the other side of the trail as well, but it was just a reminder of how diligent you need to be when hiking Iceberg. In fact, the trail is closed quite a bit due to bear activity. Always check to make sure the trail is open and think about hooking up with the ranger led hike if you're nervous about hiking with just one or two other people: http://www.hikinginglacier.com/iceberg-lake.htm

2  Thank lahord59