“One of America's great roads!”

Going-to-the-Sun Road
More attraction details
Owner description: A spectacular and scenic 52-mile highway through Glacier National Park, which crosses the Continental Divide at Logan Pass in Montana.
Reviewed June 15, 2013

There are trails, lots of wildlife, a gift shop, Visitor's Center, and sites to see. I also recommend anyone visiting several sites in this area to purchase the National Parks Annual Pass for $80. It is good for a year and grants you free entrance at the National Park/Monument Sites. Be sure to stop at the Visitor's Centers to make sure what parts of the road are open.

There are newer reviews for Going-to-the-Sun Road

Reviewed June 13, 2013

Loved all of this. Even though I am terrified of heights. The views are amazing. Dont miss the Glacier. beware of low mist at the top. Gotta do this drive.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

I have been visiting family in Montana since I was a little girl and a trip on "the highway" was always a favorite. I have since introduced friends and my family to the experience and every time I go it is just as exciting as the last. I have gone as a passenger and as a driver and both are equally wonderful. The vistas are magnificent.

A few points to pass on:

1. Don't go in the summer "high" season if you can help it. You will sit in a huge traffic jam that moves at a snail's pace up the steep grade. It is best to try for the "shoulder" seasons if your plans allow. The road will close in October as the snow falls early at this height.
2. Check on-line for construction delays or closings. The road is older and under constant upgrade or repair.
3. If you are afraid of heights you may want to rethink this one. The road has low barriers that allow for fantastic views but can also be a bit scary if you look down. We had to move a passenger in our car to the inside because she was afraid but my son threw open the door to our minivan and shot picture after picture out the open door. Know your limits.
4. When you get to Logan Pass, stop and stretch your legs. There is a great hike up to the hidden lake look-out. You are at high elevation so take your time. This is the continental divide and the visitor center has an interesting display explaining the phenomenon.
5. There is really not an opportunity to turn around once you start the climb so have a full tank of gas and commitment.
6. The main lodges in Glacier Park have busses that will take you on the trip if you don't wish to make the drive on your own. They have large open windows and roofs for great viewing. I believe they also have wheelchair/stroller access.
7. I have seen mountain goats and big horn sheep just a few feet from my car window. I have also seen black bear and grizzly through my binoculars. Wildlife abounds so keep your eyes and ears open.

This is a road not to be missed. If you are in Big Sky country you should add this to your itinerary.

6  Thank Taco42
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Tip: the road only opens completely in mid June. We were there in June 3rd and the section between Avalanche overlook and Johnson overlook was closed.
From July 1st and September 1st there are a shuttle operating which is great for one way treks along the road.

Pros: great views, nice overlooks, drive slowly to appreciate the scenery (unlike some people we saw).

2  Thank HelenaGuerra
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Amazingly beautiful! Wow! Take the day & your camera & drive it yourself. The bus was crowded & hard to see the beauty. If they increased the number & frequency of the buses that would be good.

1  Thank abbategocubs