“Do This!”
Review of Highline Trail

Highline Trail
More attraction details
Owner description: A popular hiking trail with phenomenal views.
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Do This!”
Reviewed August 4, 2014

Get to Logan Pass before 9 for parking. I think we arrived at 9:30 and had no trouble, but you never can tell. It gets busy fast! It was pretty windy and cold mid July when we started. The trail is narrow and steep, 11.6 miles, but really not that bad. You will see some of the most beautiful mountain views ever. Until you get to the Haystacks, there's not a lot of big incline. To make it over the Haystacks you do have to go up pretty steep switchbacks. A lot of people turn around here. You'll still get stunning views. We went over and made it to a waterfall. There was still a lot of snow and the trail was blocked by a thin looking sheet of icy snow. We ended going over the sketchy waterfall and it was a bit scary. Many people decided not to try it, but I'd made up my mind that I wasn't going back. And right after that it started raining. We were blasted by wind and rain until we got to Granite Park Chalet. Unfortunately we didn't get to see much of the view because of the weather. We made some crazy memories though. Bring a rain jacket just in case. It saved us! Good thing there weren't any bears. We wouldn't have been able to see them anyway with the bad weather. Granite Park Chalet was a nice place to dry off a bit and rest. We had a quick lunch and luckily the weather was nice the last 4 miles. It's an easy 4 miles too. Decline all the way. I can't wait to do it again. It's beautiful, challenging, and spectacular! The deer are habituated to humans and don't sprint off. It's amazing to watch them in such a gorgeous setting. I think it took us about 7 hours, but we stopped a lot for pictures and to dry off.

2 Thank Starinhon

37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Wish we had more time!”
Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

Stunning hike along the continental divide in Glacier National Park. The hike itself is about 12 miles in one direction. Most people start at Logan's Pass and hike to The Loop then catch a shuttle. The path is rolling hills for the first 7.6 miles and then the last four are a steep decline.

The trickiest thing is getting to Logan's Pass. If you try driving yourself, it's very unlikely you'll find a parking spot. Rangers stand at the entrance and won't even let you in to look for spaces when it gets too full. There is literally nowhere to park. If you got up VERY EARLY, you'd probably get a spot. Keep in mind, Logan's Pass is a minimum of 1 hour from either entrance. The road is narrow and winding.

If you attempt the shuttle, you also have to get there pretty early. We got there around 9:45 and waited in line until 11:00 before we could get on a shuttle. We arrived at Logan's Pass around 12:30. The last shuttle left from The Loop at 7pm. If we had wanted to hustle through the hike we probably could've made it, but that wouldn't have been much fun.

We chose to walk about 4 miles up and back. It took us 4 hours The path was great and we were lucky to have a cloudy day, so we didn't have much direct sun. I can see how sunny days would make the hike more difficult.

Some of the reviews mentioned the narrow path- it wasn't as narrow as I was imagining. Most places it was 3-4 feet across. Sometimes it can be tricky passing people, and there is always a lot of people on the trail. If you are VERY afraid of heights, it might be kind of stressful. The part with a cable on the cliff side is switching the first quarter mile so it would be easy to turn back.

Next time I make it to Glacier, I will definitely be making the whole trip. I was disappointed we missed it this time. Next time, I plan on getting to the park before 8 and catching one of the shuttles that goes straight to Logan's Pass. That would leave you with plenty of time to hike to the Loop.

I would definitely recommend this hike!!! We saw all kinda of wildlife- lots of mountain goats, some with babies, and one walking right on the trail with us! We saw a herd of mountain sheep and a marmot. We even saw a speck that a man with his ultra sharp telephoto lens told us was a grizzly bear!

Beautiful place and lovely hike!

1 Thank Natsy42
Blairsville, Georgia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Spectacular Hike”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

This was my favorite. My husband, who is afraid of hikes, and I took this 11.6 mile hike through God's country. Some parts were a bit tight but it didn't bother me at all. The views from the trail are unbelievable. We got rained on for 2.5 hours of the hike but it was still worth it. Would not miss doing this hike if in Glacier.

Denver, Colorado
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 194 helpful votes
“Fantastic views/loved the waterfalls and flowers”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Plan to arrive at Logan's pass before 9:30 to get a parking spot. We hiked this as far as haystack butte and turned around for a hike of about 7 miles. You had great views of the mountains and tons of waterfall crossings. Steep ledges and tons of wildflowers, plants (hence the name garden wall) we saw 3 mountain goats walking along the trail.we crossed 4-5 snowfields in mid July and glad we had our poles and spikes. Not much of a climb until the end some switchbacks. Earlier you go less crowds on the trail.great pictures across the road. Longer option is a one way hike to the loop to pick up a shuttle back to Logan pass 11.6 miles.

3 Thank ackart
Ringgold, Georgia
85 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 97 helpful votes
“BEAUTIFUL”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Great views in this 11.7 mile hike. It is a little work, but I am 64 years old and not a big hiker and we did it in 5 1/2 hours. We got rained on and I still loved it.

2 Thank Con K