“Spectacular Hike” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Highline Trail

Highline Trail
More attraction details
Owner description: A popular hiking trail with phenomenal views.
Blairsville, Georgia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Spectacular Hike”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2014

This was my favorite. My husband, who is afraid of hikes, and I took this 11.6 mile hike through God's country. Some parts were a bit tight but it didn't bother me at all. The views from the trail are unbelievable. We got rained on for 2.5 hours of the hike but it was still worth it. Would not miss doing this hike if in Glacier.

Denver, Colorado
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 192 helpful votes
“Fantastic views/loved the waterfalls and flowers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014

Plan to arrive at Logan's pass before 9:30 to get a parking spot. We hiked this as far as haystack butte and turned around for a hike of about 7 miles. You had great views of the mountains and tons of waterfall crossings. Steep ledges and tons of wildflowers, plants (hence the name garden wall) we saw 3 mountain goats walking along the trail.we crossed 4-5 snowfields in mid July and glad we had our poles and spikes. Not much of a climb until the end some switchbacks. Earlier you go less crowds on the trail.great pictures across the road. Longer option is a one way hike to the loop to pick up a shuttle back to Logan pass 11.6 miles.

3 Thank ackart
Ringgold, Georgia
73 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“BEAUTIFUL”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014

Great views in this 11.7 mile hike. It is a little work, but I am 64 years old and not a big hiker and we did it in 5 1/2 hours. We got rained on and I still loved it.

2 Thank Con K
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Not for acrophobes - views amazing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

The first 3 miles (from Logan Pass) are treacherous for people that don't like 200-400 foot drop offs only a foot or two from the path. I'm not overly afraid of heights and it was nerve-wracking to me. Some great tips can be found here: http://enjoyyourparks.com/GlacierParkHighlineTrail.html

2 Thank dajim92
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Spectacular Hike ...11.6 miles”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

This is THE MOST beautiful hike with one caveat: it is 11.6 miles loop and it was excruciating to finish it!
After reading all the reviews, I still thought there were two options - 7.6 or 11.6 miles hike. This is 11.6 miles loop from start to finish. Only if you have reservations to stay in Granite Park Chalet (which is 7.7 miles from the start - Logan Pass) you can hike 7.6 miles the first day and then finish the hike the next day by hiking 4 miles down the trail to the shuttle stop (The Loop).

We took 7:30 AM bus from St. Mary shuttle stop and arrived at Logan Pass in 20 min. We decided to go on a Ranger-lead hike, so we waited from 7:50 AM till 9:15 AM to start. It was really a mistake because we wasted time needed later on to finish hike on time for 6:30 PM bus going back to St. Mary.

My advice:
It would be many people going the same way and the hike is in an open. Start early to have enough time – it is a very long hike, don’t wait for a group! (I could not keep us with group’s speed either. Besides, if you with the group, you can’t stop when you want – to rest, to marvel, to take pictures).

There are no signs indicating how many miles you have walked. (When we though we are at the very end, we were only in a middle – I guess this is Montana’s bid sky miles). You can ask, just to know where on the trail you are.

Get more water. Although we thought we had enough, we completely ran out. Thankfully, we were able to buy drinks at the Chalet.

If possible, drive to The Loop (finish line), leave your car there and take the shuttle to the Logan pass (trailhead). This way you are not dependent on a bus to get back.

If you are not sure about hiking 11.6 miles in one day, try to reserve a night at the Chalet and finish hike in two days. I thought it was a very nice place to stay (we did not see the rooms, only common area). The views were outstanding and staff very helpful.

The cable part was exciting.

And last, you don’t have to finish the hike. You can hike a few miles in and out.

Visited August 2013