“Great Hike”
Review of Avalanche Lake

Avalanche Lake
More attraction details
Owner description: A popular hiking area within Glacier National Park.
Reviewed June 9, 2013

This is a two mile hike to Avalanche Lake (one way). The Park Service rates this as moderate which is about right. Being older and carrying extra poundage, it was a bit of a cardio workout headed to the lake. There are plenty of uphill parts and the trail can be pretty rocky and uneven. I believe it's about an 800' rise although it seemed like more sometimes. Of course coming back seems to be a breeze after the hike in. A very doable hike for most people. Fantastic scenery all the way and Avalance Lake is quiet and beautiful surrounded by majestic peaks with waterfalls cascading down. We didn't see any wildlife but moose and bear are seen on a fairly regular basis. Tip: Go early before the trail gets crowded with other hikers. I would recommend no later then an 8:00AM start. Worth the trip.

1  Thank FXDL07
in 15 reviews
"elevation gain"
in 19 reviews

Reviewed June 8, 2013

The Going to the Sun Road was closed from the westside at Avalanche Lake (due to weather/construction). This was our first hike in the Park and it was well worth it. Good trail. A long hike if you are not used to it, but we took our time. The lake is beautiful and surrounded by mountains.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

I have hiked this trail on several occasions on my visits to Glacier National Park. The trail follows Avalanche Creek for around 4 miles round trip. There are some small climbs uphill and a little bit rocky so if you are unstable on your feet or out of shape, I recommend taking it slow and bringing some hiking poles. For experienced hikers, this is a quick jaunt with a nice little reward at the end. If you have children over the age of 6, I recommend taking this trail off of the Trail of the Cedars for a nice day hike. Be sure to pack a lunch for once you reach the lake. I personally only recommend hiking this trail early in the morning with a few of your friends. This is a busy trail, and I don't believe it would be as enjoyable if it was packed with other people. We usually start out around 6 am and have always been successful reaching the lake, taking some time to enjoy it, and turning around. We usually don't run into anyone until around 7:30 am, and they are always surprised that we are on our way out. It's the perfect early morning/wake yourself hike up if you are camping in Avalanche Campground.

1  Thank C M
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This is a nice warm-up hike for the spring. The snow comes off late so don't be in a hurry. The first 100 yards is a steep pitch but then it is just a gradual climb. During the tourist season it can be very busy. Just smile and say hi. The view at the lake is worth the trek.

1  Thank JMLinne