“Just like in the movies!”
Review of McDonald Creek

McDonald Creek
More attraction details
Owner description: Too small for boating, this river provides an excellent place for hiking.
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stop and take a look at this fast flowing creek. for a real treat make sure you stop at the pulloff halfway between the end of lake Mcdonald and the walk of the cedars. Their is a hiking path that goes down and then onto a bridge across the creek. you want this bridge.

Now walk to the middle of that bridge and look upstream and you will get a knowing smile. Every single tour video I have ever seen has taken a long shot from that spot it is so spectacular. The shots across Lake Mcdonald at Qpgar Village may be the most Common shot taken, but this is the one everyone really wants. The flowing water over the rocks is spectacular at all times of the year.

The walk to that spot is less than 1/4 mile and totally worth it so bring your gear! I found it by accident on my trip and took a bunch of photos. I am always pleased now when I see promotional shots of glacier park and they are just like the shots I have and it gives me a knowing smile . so i share this secret spot with you so you can share in the thrill

All reviews
"opportunities"
"runoff"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed September 21, 2012

We did a 2 hour trail ride that left from the McDonald lodge area and followed along McDONALD creek. Very pretty ride through dense forest which opens up along the creek. Good ride for inexperienced riders.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

In early July 2012, we stopped at several pullout's to photograph McDonald Creek. I still smile thinking about how it's officially called a "creek"! Perhaps that's the case in late summer or fall. Anyhow, it's an amazing waterway filled with tranquil meandering sections, roaring rapids, falls, and churning water in the most beautiful shades of aqua, blue, and white. After returning back home and seeing my photos on a large computer screen, I was thrilled to see how professional my McDonald Creek pics looked (without using any special camera attachments or filters). Wishing I could have spent more time in this area enjoying the spectacular setting and taking more photos! Be sure to stop at the various pullouts to savor the glory of nature and capture it on film.

Reviewed July 6, 2012

Having taken this hike in June 2012 after a very wet spring, we're still laughing about the label "Creek" on what we saw as an impressive torrent with a series of truly awesome cascades. This would be a pretty, easily accessible hike at any time of year. We feel especially fortunate to have seen it on a pretty day in early summer. The extra loop to Johns Lake was also enjoyable, but less impressive. This whole area is just lovely.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 3, 2012

The scenery along the McDonald Creek is quite spectacular and includes falls and rapids. The pull outs provide good areas to view the creek and enjoy the water rushing past. At the time that we visited in mid June the rocks and areas off the main pathway were very damp and slippery so we stayed on the path - a few people ventured on to the rocks but this didn't look particularly safe given the conditions underfoot.