“Save money on the Lake McDonald Tour”
Review of Lake McDonald

Lake McDonald
More attraction details
Owner description: Large recreational lake in Glacier National Park.
Marietta, Georgia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Save money on the Lake McDonald Tour”
Reviewed August 5, 2011

Save your money on the lake tour, it is about a 45 minute tour costing $15.35 per person.
The tour carries a ranger (or intern) at various times that will provide a brief commentary of what you are seeing. I learned a lot more on the red bus tour.

Instead of taking the 45 minute "guided" tour, rent a motor boat for $25 for an hour for the entire family and save. You will see the same sights at half the cost. Of course, if you want to get a nap, like several of the tour boat passengers, then the "guided" tour might be safer!

Visited July 2011
5 Thank TDL79

New Rochelle, NY
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Beautiful and Serene”
Reviewed July 31, 2011

I did not stay long at the lakeside because of timing, but it was the most stunning serene moment of my trip. There are numerous places to pull over and walk down to the lakeside. You can stay at McDonald (no there is no "a" in the name--the other reivews are mis-spelled). I plan to return and take some time at the mountain lake. It is truly beautiful and picturesque.

Visited August 2010
3 Thank RoyalEF
Stockport, United Kingdom
527 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 428 helpful votes
“Stunning views - beautiful scenery”
Reviewed June 6, 2010

We visited Glacier National Park in May 2010 - unfortunately, Logan Pass was still closed so we were only ably to access 16 miles of the park via the West Entrance. However, this did provide access to Lake McDonald where we saw wonderful scenery and beautiful views of the lake and surrounding mountains. This was well worth the visit even though we didn't get to see everything that we were looking forward to.

Even with the limited access I recommend taking walking shoes and definitely pack your camera - the scenery is stunning!!

I recommend that you check the park is fully open if visiting early in the season.

1 Thank manswa
oklahoma
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Nice place and would stay again”
Reviewed August 8, 2008

Before my husband and I went to Glacier, I read up on the reviews that was on Tripadvisor, and a lot of people said that they were disappointed about the lodge and that there wasn't A/C, which you don't need, and that the room needed updating, thin walls, etc. If you are in Glacier National Park, you won't be in the room long enough to worry about that the room is updated. So don't worry about the room unless you want to stay at a Hilton, but you are in the park and thats the whole point of the hotel being there. My husband and I stayed in one of the cottages that was located on the side of the lodge. It was like a duplex in the set up of it, some of the cottages had three or four rooms to a cottage. Which wasn't bad except the parking is a little tight and the rooms have thin walls so you can hear people talking in the next room, which wasn't that bad. We had a nice stay and didn't mind the room or the thin walls, just letting people know what to expect. They provide soap, shampoo and lotion, shower cap and I loved the little mending kit. If I could give some advise about the room, don't use the phone that they provide unless you want to pay 50 cents just to call the front desk. Of course no cell phone service, and maybe 50 cents for every call is not much to some but we thought it was ridiculous that they would charge $114 a night and then charge to contact the front desk. They had a little note on the phone that says they charge for long distance, but I thought toll free numbers and front desk request would have no charge until we got our bill. They should have a big note that says all calls will be charged to your room no matter what the number. If I'd known they charged to call the front desk I would have walked the 50 yards to the lodge. The rooms were clean, they made the bed and cleaned the rooms everyday. Was very pleased with our stay and we had our room on the side of the lake. We would stay here again. And we made reservations 7 months before we went and had no problems.

12 Thank me-n-mountains
A TripAdvisor Member
“Most peacefull place to be”
Reviewed June 28, 2006

My wife and I visited Glacier in 2003 and are headed back in a week. Glacier Park is the most awesome scenery I have seen in America and staying at the Lake MacDonald Lodge added to the experience.

Yes, it is expensive. Yes, it is old. But, to be able to visualize how things were 'in the day' and experience the cold nights and warm days while close to nature is worth it. If you go, make it a point to stay at the Lodge and eat in the dining room. Hopefuly you will get to talk with one of the foriegn students who typically are hired fo rthe summer.

All in all, worth the money.

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member