“A very unique National park”

Flamingo Visitor Center
More attraction details
Owner description: Visitor center in the village of Flamingo.
Alexandria
94 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“A very unique National park”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Ranger and stafff on duty at the Flamingo Visitor Center were were helpful and provided a first rate experience. We hiked through several parts of the park and we had a great time. Be sure to wear a lot of bug repellent as the mosquitos were dense in the shaded parts of the park. the other end of the park where the campgrounds and hotel used to be was in poor shape. I am not sure if it is always like this or it was like this because it was essentially the off season. Overall a great experience and well worth the time to see alligators and other wildlife in their natural environment.

Visited May 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
DC Metro area
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 105 helpful votes
“National Park Center, run down. The Marina area was much better.”
Reviewed May 16, 2012

Drove down to the end of the Everglades NP to the Flamingo visitor center. Not much there regarding the National Park area. Very run down, dirty, nothing to see and no ranger on duty. Instead, walk over to the marina area which is run a by a commercial company. There you can buy tickets for boat rides on the bay side, or in the fresh water back areas. The boat guide even made fun of the NP and how they don't take care of the area. You can also rent boats. We took the backwater ride on a pontoon boat for $26 per person. Got to see crocodiles (not gators) very cool. and manatees. Tried hiking on some of the trials nearby, and couldn't due to the swarm of mosquitoes. Even had bug spray and it didn't help. If you have the time, I'd drive down just to say you made it, but don't expect anything from the NP.

Visited May 2012
2 Thank mkjbs
Boynton Beach, Florida
81 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Had a wonderful time at the Flamingo Visitor Center at Everglades National Park!”
Reviewed April 8, 2012

The park ranger at the Flamingo Visitor Center was very informative and made our trip to the Everglades National Park very interesting. We saw a few Osprey nests and I loved seeing the Osprey come back to the nest to feed the chicks and hearing the hungry chicks calling their mommies to come back and feed them. Unfortunately, I missed it, but everyone else saw a bald eagle flying over the area. Saw many manatees and a crocodile. The park ranger was very informative and explained the difference between a crocodile and alligator. Didn't get photos of them but also saw a couple of swallow tail kites fly over the area. It was definitely worth the trip and look forward to going again and spending more time there and in the other sections of the park when I get the chance.

Becket, Massachusetts
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“worth the drive”
Reviewed March 30, 2012

We drove through the park to the Flamingo center and then went on a hike once there. Beautiful area with great views of the ten thousand islands!

Wildomar, California
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Do Not Rent From Them”
Reviewed March 28, 2012

We went all the way through the National Park to the Flamingo Center. We decided to rent a boat (skiff) and take a tour of the backcountry instead of the guided tour on their pontoon boat. Our boat broke down 45 minutes into our rental. We ended up having to paddle back down the river towards the marina. After an hour we stopped under a bridge to take refuge from the burning sun. We were finally helped by a group of fishermen who came by in their boat and towed us back to the marina. The attendants apologized and offered us another boat, but after baking in the sun for an hour and a half, we refused and asked for a refund or a portion of a refund since we did make it 30 minutes. We were very courteous to the employees in asking for a refund they explained they were not authorized to be able to give refunds (but he could give us a refund on the deposit we put down... seemed pretty sketchy to me). He gave me a number to call and request a refund or portion of a refund. I called and received a recorded message. I was told someone would get back to me within 24 hours. No one ever did. I ended up calling my credit card company to dispute the charge and they took it off my credit card. I would have liked to rent again and take the tour, but since this is the only company to rent from in the Everglades, I refuse.

The cafe is sketchy at the visitor center, but we ate anyways and the food was actually good.

2 Thank Greg L