“Boat tour disappointing”
Review of Flamingo

Flamingo
More attraction details
Owner description: Small village that is the tourist area, and offers lodging, tours, dining and shopping.
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Flamingo visitor center was less thrilling than what we had expected. At the time if our visit we saw one crocodile on the boat ramp. The back country tour was more about the mangroves and various other trees including the most poisonous manchineel. Very interesting but very few sighting of anything else We saw one yellow crowned heron and an osprey. Not worth the time or money. Saw so much more on the Anhinga trail. We would not do this boat tour again.

3  Thank RPK1990
"hurricane damage"
"long ride"
"white pelicans"

Reviewed January 15, 2014

We camped here and enjoyed our stay. Good ranger programs and sunsets/sunrises. We saw two American Crocodiles in the marina but missed out on the manatees. The only restaurant in the park served decent food at fair prices. Easy to rent a canoe for the day.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

Stayed here in January and the park had quite a few campers but was quiet and peaceful. We stayed at the pull up sites - each site either has a grill or a fire pit. We picked a site with a fire pit because it still had a grill grate on it. During the day, lots of birds fly around. The first night we stayed there was a group of people next to us that stayed up until 3am making a lot of noise. But a ranger finally came and made them move the next day to a different side of the park that has RV's. Other than that - this was the most peaceful camping trip I have been on. There is a beach you can go fishing off of and they have ranger talks at night there at the amphitheater. You can sit at the camp The marina and the Flamingo Visitor Center are very close by - you can see a lot of crocodiles and birds there at night. The mosquitos were pretty bad even thought it was in January. Overall very nice stay - only bad thing I would say is the lack of shade.

1  Thank Shawna2004
Reviewed January 9, 2014

I don't know if I should name names but I think I remember her name hopefully I have it correct. I wrote it down and then lost the paper I wrote it on. Forgive me if I got it wrong "Shania Cottrell". She is a fisheries expert working at the park. My brother and I had a wonderful conversation with her about the Everglades and it's future. We were so impressed with her dedication to this jewel of a place. She was thoughtful, intelligent and so engaging. People like her will make this place successful. She will inspire others to make sure the Everglades is protected and cared for too. I didn't know I would love the Everglades so much. Thank you to all the park staff all over the Everglades for keeping this incredible natural wonder in such good hands.

See more reviews
Reviewed January 7, 2014

This is pretty much the end of the road in the park and is more of a hopping off point for boating and camping. If you are not doing those activities, there is not much else here to hold you for very long. We had a nice picnic lunch at tables near Florida Bay (the restaurant was closed) and the view was great. Watched an osprey fishing near us too. The visitor center and displays aren't that great and look a bit forgotten - need updating and maintenance. There are vending machines and bathrooms though and good maps of the park. A small store at the marina provides supplies for campers and boaters and is where the scenic boat tours depart. We watched a flock of white-faced ibis feeding in the grass by the parking area and then took off to explore the rest of the park.

1  Thank slikrokbel