“Visitor Center Abandoned and Left to Ruin”
Review of Flamingo

Flamingo
More attraction details
Owner description: Small village that is the tourist area, and offers lodging, tours, dining and shopping.
Miami, Florida
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Visitor Center Abandoned and Left to Ruin”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I had not been to Flamingo in probably 40 years so decided to take a leisurely drive with my camera, hoping to get some interesting photos. Flamingo is an approximately 38 mile drive from the entrance of Everglades National Park. It's a scenic trip with changing landscapes and there are turnouts and other stopping points where you can get out of the car and have a look around. I arrived at the Flamingo Visitor's Center and decided to see what was on offer. From the outside, it looked fine. Two Flamingo pink buildings connected by a breezeway which offered a nice view of the water. Inside, it was like something out of the Apocalypse. I went into the exhibition room. No a soul in sight ANYWHERE. Just sad, ancient and neglected displays, peeling paint and an eerie silence. I could not get out of there fast enough as I was alone and it really gave me the creeps. Downstairs are the remains of what appears to have once been some sort of restaurant. This too was devoid of any signs of life. This is in stark contrast to the Coe Visitor Center found at the entrance to the park which is beautiful and welcoming and buzzing with people. It feels rather sad knowing such amazing potential exists at Flamingo to educate and engage people about our amazing environment but it is being lost to neglect. I know the hurricane of 2005 had an impact but it is 8 years later and something needs to be done or risk losing tourists. I know I won't be going back.

Visited June 2013

22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Assortment of activities”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

The Main Park Road is a scenic 38 mile drive from Coe to Flamingo Visitor Center. At the end of the scenic drive the Flamingo area generously offers a variety of activities to the travelers. The most interesting amongst them is wildlife watching from the visitor center breezeway. A number of gators and endangered crocs laze around the vicinity of Flamingo marina. A variety of birds assemble on the Florida Bay mudflats as well as on the Eco Pond.

To appreciate the real Everglades one needs a boat. Since we didn’t have one, we went for a narrated boat ride into the Florida Bay. The main attraction was to study some endangered manatees and bottlenose dolphins. We were neither lucky nor unlucky; just had to satisfy ourselves with occasional views of dolphin fins above the water surface.

Visited June 2012
2 Thank Zeotype
Portland, Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Abandoned view”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I was there in April 2013 and the visitor center looks very much abandoned. I hear from my friend who lives in FL that it's been going through a remodeling for a while. The drive to get to Flamingo was more interesting than actually getting there; we were able to do some of the trails. Don't expect too much besides a different view of the Everglades.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank Cmsea
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Nature and the sea”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Flamingo offers a couple of attractions: boat tours of the islands and kayak rentals plus camping on the point. This is the gateway to 10 thousand islands and is just beautiful. The evening offer quiet, dark ( great for telescopes) and wind. there are lots of birds and trails leading to waterways. there is a small supply station and a small wildlife museum.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Mayra L
Pensacola, Florida
688 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 294 helpful votes
“Worth the drive if you have the time”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

It is a long drive from entrance to Flamingo (35 miles). However if you have the time it is good to drive the whole way as it allows you to experience all the habitat zones of the park. There are boat rides and canoe and kayak rentals at Flamingo as well as great views of Florida Bay. However, the real reason we went to Flamingo and my favorite part was seeing American crocodiles in the canal at the marina. In addition, we also saw two manatees in the same canal. I have seen a lot of Gators but this was my first crocodile and that made the entire trip worth it for me even though they were a long way away. Manatees cool as well. Would have like to rent canoe or kayak.

Visited March 2013