Carlo Creek Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Perch Resort(McKinley Village)
Good 3.5/5
Denali Bluffs Hotel(McKinley Village)
Good 3.5/5
Grande Denali Lodge(McKinley Village)
Good 3.5/5
Crows Nest Cabins(McKinley Village)
Very Good 4/5
  • Restaurant
Denali Park Village(Denali National Park and Preserve)
Average 3/5
  • Restaurant
McKinley Chalet Resort(McKinley Village)
Very Good 4/5
Great 4.5/5
Great 4.5/5
All reviewsperchpanorama pizzabath housedenali park entrancenewer cabinsminute drivesmall refrigerator and microwavesmall porchlaundry roomown bathroompizza placebakery itemsdenali tripsingle bedearly septemberprivate bathwould stay here again
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 23, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a week last July, but I had to write a review because Carlo Creek deserves it.

We rented Cabin #5, which is near the entrance. It's close enough to other cabins to not feel totally isolated but isolated enough to have some privacy. The swing near the creek is precious, and we sat on it almost every morning in hopes of seeing wildlife. Although we never did, the beautiful surroundings were enough.

In July, it's light all day and night, so I was worried that I wouldn't be able to sleep. But the blackout curtains were amazing! My tip: DO NOT LOOK OUT THE WINDOW when it's bedtime. Of course you will -- you have to, if you haven't experienced this before. It's definitely trippy. But once is enough. Ok, maybe a few times. Just don't look for long and you should be able to sleep just fine.

The cabin interior was roomy enough for the two of us and warm enough during the times it got chilly. The bathroom felt a little icy at times, but we didn't mind at all.

There's a cafe within walking distance that serves up good coffee and breakfast. As others have mentioned, the Perch is excellent. We took lobster to go, and it was delicious!

We rented a car and did a lot of driving around just for the fun of it. Of course, we went to to the Park and even caught a glimpse of Denali! I highly recommend going all the way to Wonder Lake; it takes less time than you might think.

All in all, we had a fantastic stay at Carlo Creek. Compared to the other hotels and cabins in the area, it's a great deal and good value. Alaska's expensive, but it's beautiful like you wouldn't believe. Places like Carlo Creek made it affordable for us, and we hope to be back!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lomigirl
Reviewed August 21, 2010

Just want to thank the owners for a great vacation with family to Denali. I traveled with immediate family and extended family on this trip and we stayed in Cabins 1 and 4 the second week of June. Special thanks also to those who have recommended this location as it was greatly appreciated!

I was going to post my pictures but the pictures already provided by others speak well of the amenities and location.

Carlo Creek is a great location if you are looking to step away from the manicured glitter gulch hotels just outside the park, and honestly is the best value for this type accommodation in my opinion. We stayed at the Denali River Cabins last time, and they are starting to show the signs of age. With the great food served acrosss the street at The Perch restaurant all of us had a wonderful stay, and look forward to staying here again.

Please beware of really negative comments regarding Carlo Creek. While it is rustic in some respects for some, it's new cabins and friendly helpful staff will have us coming back again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank SteveYork
Reviewed July 24, 2010

We stayed in cabin 5 in July 2010. The cabin was comfortable and I slept well here, though I often have insomnia. My main complaint is that our cabin needed to be dusted better. These are log cabins and the upper part of the round logs was very dusty throughout our cabin. My wife was quite unhappy about it and I was a bit irritated myself since they could have dusted the entire interior of our room in 5 minutes. There were also other places besides the logs which needed dusting, such as a window covering which was filthy. It's obvious that the manager was not inspecting the room cleaning job and that bothers me as it conveys careless or sloppy management. On the plus side, the beds were reasonably comfortable and I was impressed with the quiet heating system. We had a fanless, wall-mounted radiator which made absolutely no noise when running or turning on and off (unlike the noisy heaters in most low-end hotels). I didn't even hear a clicking sound when the thermostat shut off the system (or turned it on). Also, the heater did a great job of keeping the temperature constant. (Heating & AC are often a big problem for me at low-end hotels because of fan and on-off noise.)

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank MIKELEWIS33
Reviewed July 20, 2010

We stayed in one of the cabins, whch though small, had enough room to accomodate two folks.

Had no no hot water for the shower, and Tucker, the owner, immediately responded, and fixed it quickly.

Grounds are worth exploring, as they lie next to a wonderul creeek.

No restaurant - but two within five minute walk across Parks Highway.

Much more laid back and affordable than places up the highway in Glitter Gulch, which adjoins Denali.

The park is a 20 minute drive and Glitter Gulch another five or ten minutes.

Great place and great owners.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 11, 2010

have been staying there since 1998 and the price is good for the area requested a room with bath in april and they only had a shared bath available. the cabins are newer ,the beds are a little hard and flannel sheets in the summer? any way arived at 9;30 p m was able to use restroom then had to wait untill 1 am to get in again. for a shower.. there are many tent campers who share the 4 -6 bathroom showers as well ..so if you dont have a strong bladder or cant go in the near by woods maybe you should stay only in the cabins with bathrooms, as of july there was no coffee maker in the cabins and they dont open the office untill 9 am if you can wait for coffee that long,, there is a place across the street that has coffee t they are very busy and waited 30 just for 3 coffees

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends