“Great spot for a Denali excursion”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Denali National Park and Preserve
Denali Mountain Morning Hostel and Cabins
Austin, Tx.
“Great spot for a Denali excursion”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2010

We stayed in the octogon room. It was nice, clean, and the bed was comfortable.

The other patrons were considerate and friendly (which is nice at a hostel- that would never matter at a hotel). The staff was polite and helpful.

It is close enough to the park but with a few bus options, it would be best if you had a car. There is a wonderful pizza restaurant across the street but the kitchen at the hostel makes it more affordable.

The room was small but let's be honest, if you're hanging out in your room rather than exploring Denali. . .you have a serious problem.

This is the perfect place to stay whether you're visiting Denali National Park or just passing through.

We stayed at a cruise line owned hotel the night before we visited the hostel and I would much rather stay at the hostel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Brigitt H

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2010

Four of us stayed in our own 4 (bunk) cabin. It was clean and enough space for four. Front desk attendents were pleasant, and provided helpful info. It's a hostel, not a hotel - so for a hostel I would give it 4 stars. Fridges outside or in to store your food for the park, firepit to enjoy right by the creek. Cafe and restaurant right across the street was convenient, we had a car - but this would be a plus for those that don't. Would stay here again!

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ceebeedee
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2010

This was a pleasant surprise to have this hostel be so nice! It was your basic cabin but it was private and on the beach of the Carlos River. I think the IceWorm Cabins have the best location right on the river. The bathrooms weren't very far at all......the lofts are quite steep so small children may be at risk. There is a pizza place and Creekside Cafe right across the hwy that had great food and pleasant atmosphere and reasonably priced. We are glad we choose this instead of up the hwy by the Princess.....very touristy up there. The facilities were clean enough for us for the price.

• Stayed June 2010
2 Thank skibill
Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2010

Stayed here for three nights in the Splatter Rock cabin. Small but big enough for the two of us. Just a few steps to the showers or the communal Octagon House. Bedding and towels provided--that was nice. Showers weren't of great quality but given their use and the fact that this is a hostel, they were fine for the few days we were there. We didn't use any of the kitchen facilities but chose to eat across the highway at the cafe and pizza place. Location was good--next to a rushing creek and 12 miles to the Denali visitor's center. Much more laid back location than the area right outside the park.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank elperro
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2010

My husband and I spent 4 nights at this hostel as part of our second anniversary trip. Overall, you can't ask for much more for the price. We stayed at the Highwater cabin, which is basically just two beds, but what more do you need in Denali? We were very impressed with how new and clean the cabin was. Common kitchen and bathroom/shower facilities were fine. Yes, right off the highway, but mostly you just hear the rushing water of the creek. Across the street from some decent cafes.

We met all kinds of interesting travelers -- couples, solos, families, foreigners, young, old, etc -- all of whom seemed to enjoy their stay. Highly recommend it and would go back!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank methinkz
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2010

I just spent 3 nights at this hostel and was really pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I was a little hesitant to stay in a hostel since I haven't done that since my college days, but once I got there my hesitations went by the wayside. I ended up staying in the Coffee Grinder cabin which they had converted into a women's dorm since the other one was full. There were two much older woman (probably in their 60's or 70's) and one other woman around my age staying in there. Everyone was very respectful of each others things and privacy.
The "Octagon" or kitchen area, felt like I was in someone's private cabin, it had such a homey, welcoming feel. I met so many great people during my stay, everyone was eager to share their stories from the day and what their plans were for the next day. I had a rental car which made my stay a little more comfortable, but they do have a shuttle that goes to and from the park. It was about a 15 minute drive to get to the park entrance. It was nice to not feel rushed in the mornings to get on their shuttle.
I honestly was sad to have to leave this hostel and Denali. I can't wait until I can make it back up tthere.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank KasC
Toledo, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2010

Denali Mountain Morning Hostel was wonderful! My brother and I were at Denali for 3 nights and stayed in the co-ed dorm - we were in the Coffee Grinder cabin which was beautifully situated on Carlo Creek - we had an amazing view of he surrounding mountains. We met all sorts of interesting people, and the staff was wonderfully helpful. The accomodations were clean, well-kept, and very pleasant. We enjoyed the surrounding restaurants/pub in the Carlo Creek area, and found it to be very accessable to the park via rental car, but there is also a four-time(?) daily bus to the park entrance. The staff was helpful in setting up a rafting trip and a trip to Jeff King's kennels to see his sled dogs. The central kitchen/living area was great. There were ample showers/toilets/sinks etc. There is WiFi. The kitchen area is gerat with local coffee brewed daily. Oh yeah, and it was only $32 apiece per night! Had a great time!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
#2 of 4 in Healy
McKinley Creekside Cabins
McKinley Creekside Cabins
#1 of 7 in McKinley Village

Been to Denali Mountain Morning Hostel and Cabins? Share your experiences!