“A great wilderness experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Denali National Park and Preserve
Denali Mountain Morning Hostel and Cabins
Reviewed July 23, 2006

We stayed at the Denali Mountain Morning Hostel in July of 2006 and we loved the place so much we're thinking about creating something like it in the lower 48.

It's important to know what you're getting into here. It's not a full-service hotel. The cabins are rustic and spartan and don't have private baths. You have to clean up after yourself.

But the main lodge has a kitchen (equipped with 2 stoves and 2 sinks, so you don't usually have to wait in line to cook) and a communal dining table. It also has a comfy sofa where you can sit and talk with guests from around the world.

The hostel is situated right on the banks of a beautiful creek, and right at the base of the mountains, 9 miles south of the entrance to Denali National Park. It's a beautiful location, and a great place to just sit around and enjoy some peace and quiet.

There are 3 lodging options: the main cabin has a bunkhouse upstairs, where you can get an inexpensive bed in a room shared by others (which suited my 75 year old mom just fine); there are a variety of cabins, where my wife, kids and I stayed; and they even have a couple of tents on platforms right by the river.

If you're driving up from the South, watch the mile markers carefully, as the hostel isn't well marked. Their webpage says mile 224.5 Parks highway, but in fact they're immediately after the 224 mile marker, down an embankment and almost out of sight. Their's a mailbox that says "Hostel," and that's it. (It has a new owner, so maybe this will change.) Right across the road are another outfit's cabins and a restaurant, which works out as the best landmark.

Final note: We stayed 3 days, but this would be a good place to hang out for a week or more.

Stayed: June 2006
5  Thank JamesHanley
There are newer reviews for Denali Mountain Morning Hostel and Cabins

Reviewed July 16, 2006

This was our second stay in a hostel and the experience was far superior than that experienced in Homer and cheaper per night. Our cabin was located right on the banks of Carlo Creek where we stayed 4 nights and found lovely fresh linen supplied. The kitchen (in the main building) was extremely clean, well maintained with all conveniences (in working order!!) Internet use was available for hostellers (with a cash donation).

We were a couple without children, however there was a family next door and they loved the atmosphere of this hostel .

• Stayed: June 2006
5  Thank warners1
Reviewed July 5, 2006

We stayed a couple of nights in this hostel. The cabin was very clean and nice. Since this was the first time we stayed in a hostel, we were really surprised to see signs everywhere about the rules, regulations and chores to follow!! Anyway, it is a decent place to stay in Denali.

• Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 22, 2005

I stayed in one of the cabins by the creek and it was very nice - cozy and clean with a comfortable bed. I had the chance to talk with people from all over the world in the lounge in the main building. I would have liked to be able to check in earlier (check-in is at 4pm) and I'll ask about that next time.

• Stayed: August 2005
8  Thank Elizabethm42
Reviewed September 29, 2005

I have been all over the world from New Zealand, to Rome, to Alaska, this hostel can not be matched. The comfort of the surroundings, the friendliness of the hosts, and the beauty of the location combined to create the most memorable vacation I've had. I cried when I had to leave after three weeks, enough said.

• Stayed: June 2004
4  Thank zachary04051
Friendsville, MD
Reviewed September 22, 2005

This is the best hostel I've ever stayed at. Our friends who stayed at the pricier cabins down the road were jealous! We had a great time hanging out at the campfire, or in the main lodge on rainy evenings. We got to meet people from all over the world, and saw a spectacular northern lights show. Some folks in our group were dubious about staying in a hostel, but they all loved it and couldn't stop raving about it for the rest of our time in Alaska. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Stayed: September 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 8, 2005

I've stayed in dozens of hostels and never had such a problem as I did with this one. I arrive and they accuse me of not showing up for the 5:30 shuttle even though the email I sent to them and the one they sent to me confirmed 9:30. The internet isn't working nor has it in a long time, nor will it in the foreseeable future, but they still put the claim 'High Speed Internet' on the front page of their website. The microwave isn't working. The front desk staff is rude to me right off the bat and later to those in my party, rolling their eyes, etc.

I wrote a letter to the 'owner' and what does she say? She accuses me of 'pounding my fists on their desk' (another false accusation) and says that she would've asked me to leave if she had been there.

Stay away...far, far away. Spend your money elsewhere with people who know how to treat their customers!

• Stayed: August 2005