“Denali Up Close”
Review of Kantishna Air Taxi

Kantishna Air Taxi
Reviewed August 23, 2012

My husband and I decided to fly to Anchorage from Denali instead of taking the bus and train to save time. I am not a fan of flying but our pilot, Denise, was superb! She made sure we got up close and could see everything including the different types of rock that the mountain is made up of. The views were spectacular especially since the weather was clear and we could literally see for miles and miles. Well worth the money.

1  Thank MarySAA

Reviewed August 17, 2012

This was the highlight of our trip - we had a phenomenal pilot (Kurt - if you book with KatAir, I'd suggest requesting him... he's great), and an amazing flight. We booked the scenic flight from Denali National Park Entrance to Kantishna and had plans to ride the bus back to the park entrance. Folks - if you are even considering flying with KatAir to/from either location, it is totally worth the extra money to book the scenic flight. It's approx 25 minutes longer, but amazing. We were a little hesitant since it was cloudy when we woke up. It was also cloudy when we departed, but it didn't matter. Once we were above the clouds, we were fortunate enough to get an up close & personal view of Denali herself..... in all her majestic glory. This was the trip of a lifetime for some in our group and I know Kurt shared that with us. He is an experienced pilot with an awesome ornery side. It's obvious that he loves his job and the outdoors and appreciates the beauty of mother nature. I wouldn't have changed a thing!!!

While we waited in the KatAir lodge for the Denali bus, we were offered sandwiches, coffee, & tea. It was a small, but perfect lunch! The ride on the park bus back to the entrance was a bit long, but that was by choice. We saw minimal wildlife on the bus back, so if I had to change anything, I would have flown in and out of the park with KatAir.

My mom has mobility restrictions, but she was able to get in & out of the plane and also get inside the lodge where the main congregating area is on the main level (along with a bathroom).

Reviewed August 10, 2012

While having dinner with business acquaintances in NYC, we mentioned that we were going to Denali for vacation. They told us that we had to fly into Kantishna with Kantishna Air. They were so helpful when I called to book the flight and answered all my questions. Denise was our pilot and she was knowledgeable about the geology and history of the area and was the consummate professional. We were "teamed up" with a family of three from Hawaii which offered a great opportunity to meet new people. The people at the airfield at the end of the road gave us detailed instructions on catching the shuttle bus to the park entrance. The flight was the highlight of our trip - we did have beautiful weather both for flying and for seeing Mt. McKinley which I know is rare.

Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

We decided to fly back from the Kantishna Roadhouse instead of staying on the bus another 5 hours driving back the same way we came. They didn't have a plane for us until 1.5 hours after the bus had left. My son and I had to sit in the very back where we couldn't see as well. My husband had been told he could sit in the co-pilot seat since he was a pilot, and that didn't happen either. They had said there were shuttles to pick us up where they dropped us off. It took us another 1.5 hours to get a shuttle. We only made it back 1 hour before the bus and it cost us $675 for 3. I would NOT recommend the fly out option with them.

1  Thank Auburn93
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I have always not liked flying - big airplanes, Everyone was so surprised I actually got on a small single propeller airplane to fly up to see Denali! What an experience. Our pilot was Denise and she was great. I had no butterflies and the scenery was ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! Denise kept saying we were going to have a clear and beautiful flight. The weather was perfect and those mountains were magnificent and breathtaking. The snow was glistening and so white it looked like someone had frosted the mountains with icing. Denise did a great job narrating where we were and what we were seeing. Including planes landing on a glacier to drop off hikers and seeing the hikers trail. Her take off and landing were so smooth. I know we were blessed with nice weather, no cross winds or clouds. I would recommend this trip to anyone who want to get up close and personal with DENALI and the Alaska Range. The sites are something you will never forget and certainly an experience of a lifetime.

1  Thank DevS285