Camp Denali
$129
Hotels.com
Denali Backcountry Lodge(Denali National Park and Preserve)
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
McKinley Chalet Resort(McKinley Village)
No availability for your dates from our partners
Grande Denali Lodge(McKinley Village)
No availability for your dates from our partners
Denali Bluffs Hotel(McKinley Village)
No availability for your dates from our partners
The Perch Resort(McKinley Village)
No availability for your dates from our partners
Denali Park Village(Denali National Park and Preserve)
  • Restaurant
All reviewswood stovedining hallno electricityother gueststhe bushot platedall sheeprain gearsmall groupunbelievable experiencenorth face lodgeflora and faunaeach guestlearning experiencehandmade quiltsunbeatable locationstrenuous hike
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 23, 2008

dTester covers the Camp well. Let me add my 2 cents about Camp Denali. I think it is difficult to find many places in the U.S. that offer this kind of experience. Many of our nat'l parks are awesome but can be tougher to enjoy because of crowds or access. Camp Denali gives you, without question, the best interior access you can find in Denali NP and with a small group of passionate hiking enthusiasts and naturalists, both the staff and "campers" alike. Each day is a new adventure and we were able to hike, bike, fish, canoe, sightsee, watch wildlife and view Mt. McKinley, all from the best vantage point. Also, I did not go to Alaska or Denali for the food but was extremely impressed and surprised by the excellent meals we enjoyed prepared by dedicated chefs (i.e. not just cooks). They are not shoveling camp slop here. This place is far, far more than just "camping with a shower".

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Plan4it
Reviewed June 17, 2008

Booked this for his birthday because I knew he would like it, and not only was it just what he was looking for, we both were really awed. The setting of Camp Denali, is so beautiful, and our stay was really fun, and certainly worth every dollar. We were fed three meals a day, and not only was dinner most excellent all days, but the breakfast souffle one morning, served with fruit hash, was exquisitely delicious. To say the evening programs, that week presented by birder Scott Weidensaul, were inspirational doesn't adequately convey the passion and the depth of knowledge Scott brought to the camp experience. (& The sharp eyes of Scott's wife Amy spotted some of the interesting wildlife we saw on the bus ride into the park.)

There were hikes of varying difficulty level offered each day with a cadre of guides for each small group. I now know what it's like to hike across spongy tundra, and Alaskan taiga. Another day we chose to go off by ourselves to canoe Wonder Lake. They provided all the gear, including fishing tackle and a lift to the canoe dock. He happily caught several Wonder Lake trout. (Not the only fish caught, a young guy staying at the camp hooked Dolly Varden in a nearby creek the same day.) ,

There are some caveats that should be mentioned to those considering this venue. Camp Denali is, as its name states, a camp, rather than a hotel. Guests are asked to make some accommodation for the prerogative of staying here. This is likely not a good choice if you are mobility impaired, if you disdain hiking boots, can't live without your iPhone, or feel separation anxiety over indoor plumbing (there are facilities near the cabin.) Yes, there were one or two minor annoyances, if you are rather finicky, like me, but all in all this place is fabulous.

On a final note, I'd say that like many summer camps, the best part of the of the stay was the genuine camaraderie, propagated by the staff.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank dTester
Reviewed July 22, 2007

I can't say enough about our 4 night stay at Camp Denali. When first hearing of the cost, I thought my friend was nuts but in hindsight, it was some of the best money I've spent on a vacation. I came to realize that staying at Camp Denali is more than just seeing Mt. McKinley (which we did all 4 days!), but more the "experience "of being in Denali National Park. With knowledgeable and friendly staff, naturalists and guest speakers to explain all and answer ANY questions we had, we learned so much more than we could have on a one day tour into the park. Walking on tundra, eating wild berries, hiking up mountainsides and seeing beautiful vistas for miles and miles, has left a very memorable, almost spiritual impression on me. The community style dining also added to our enjoyment as every meal we got to meet other people also staying at Camp Denali as the staff rotated where everyone sat (you always got to sit with your travel companions of course!) We also had a guest speaker for each evening where we learned even more about our environment in the Denali area. So yes the cost may seem high, but the experience is priceless!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
4  Thank trudzie
Reviewed July 20, 2007

My best friend and I spent 4 nights at Camp Denali in early July and this was the highlight of our 3 weeks in Alaska. I had high expectations and they were definately exceeded. Being in one of those lovely and very comfortable log cabins increased my sense of being far away from my city life and the views of Mt. McKinley were incredible. The guided hikes were the best part of my time there because the guides are so very knowledgable and personable. And there is the added bonus of getting to know a little bit about your fellow travelers, all of whom were very interesting people. The meals were all excellent and the ambience was just superb. I have promised myself that I will be back at Camp Denali within 5 years at the most...and next time I might just stay for 7 nights. It was that wonderful.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
4  Thank Annaram
Reviewed July 1, 2007

I have been to Camp Denali four times, and am about to go for my fifth. This place is the best place to go if you're going to Denali Park and want to stay inside the park (which is much better than staying at the entrance). Simple but beautiful cabins (with handmade quilts), good food and GREAT hiking with knowledgeable naturalist guides, at various levels of difficulty each day. Or you can hike on your own. An outhouse for each cabin, but don't let that discourage you, as they are spotlessly clean and quite pleasant (really). And there are showers, toilets etc in main house. Camp Denali is my idea of heaven.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank dogladymd