“Excellent Treat”
Review of Camp Denali

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Denali National Park and Preserve
Camp Denali
South Hadley, Massachusetts
“Excellent Treat”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I have to agree with most of the reviews I have read thus far. I thought this was rather pricey when my husband suggested it but as one reviewer said, what isn't pricey in Alaska? But it is totally worth the price.

The staff is amazing, kind, caring and very attentive to your needs. The naturalist was fantastic and I learned a lot from him. The food was fabulous - delicious and wonderfully presented and I believe they were incredibly adaptable to special requests. We sampled different kinds of hikes and we had a day on our own at the lake as well and all those activities were super. I can't say enough. It is something that you shouldn't deny yourself.

Room Tip: We stayed in Sourdough - there were 3 of us. It has the fantastic view and it is quite close to the...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Melinda H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed February 27, 2012

Loved my stay here. Yes, it was a bit spendy, but you know what, it was worth every penny. Quality managers and staff. Will remember it all my life.

Room Tip: Get one near the bathrooms!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank VGinParadise_10
Virginia, USA
Reviewed December 21, 2011

This summer we had our second visit to Camp Denali. It was just as terrific as we remembered from 12 years ago. It's primitive luxury if there can be such a thing. It's definitely an outdoor experience. The cabins are comfortable...but dry. There is water outside the door...a sink with out running water inside. The "little house" is outback...but it is private. Each cabin has its own. The showers are in a common building at the top of the hill....a little inconvenient if your cabin is at the bottom of the hill. But ours wasn't....so I have no complaint about that. We knew that all when we went there, so it wasn't a surprise. In fact it is part of what we loved about it. But there is MORE... The food is fantastic....the staff is incredible. One of the things they do really well there is create a sense of community among the guests. They work very hard to give each guest a memorable experience. There are three levels of guided hikes each day, but you are certainly free to go off on your own. We enjoyed the guided hikes because the guides are so knowledgeable.... able to identify plants, talk about animal habitats and patterns, talk about the history of the area....almost anything we asked....and if they don't know, there is a great library where you can look for the answers. It is expensive, but we felt it is an excellent value and plan to return on our next trip to Alaska.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
10 Thank CJT3500
Leerdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Yes, I know it's not cheap staying here. But: it's worth every dollar. I had the most wonderfull time here. Upon arrival, the Dutch flag was raised (next to the Alaskan and US of course) to make me feel welcome. Which it did. My cabin was quite far from the main lodge but so cute and just perfect. the little woodstove with resh wood every day, the desk facing Mount Denali, the little gaslights, the porch, the cattle with lots of tea... not spacious but everything I needed was there and in good shape and quality
The hosts and guides do everything to make you feel welcome and at home. The food is great, also for vegetarians. Of course it helped that I had the most gorgeous weather you can imagine and that the autumn colours were plentyfull. But even in rain I am sure that you have a great time here!
In addition I like to mention the photocourse from Ralph Lee Hopkins. For 3 days we were in the field, capturing the colours, bears, mooses, carbibous (even with their velvet just shed), dall sheep, arctic squirrels... The combination of Ralph's teaching and the very knowlegable guides made these 3 days a dream come true!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
9 Thank Jonne88
Bainbridge Island, Washington
Reviewed November 11, 2011

Camp Denali is far more than a place to stay, it is an experience. The experience begins at the eastern edge of Denali National Park, near the Denali Visitors Center, at the bus parking lot for the Alaska railroad station. Here you'll board a bus for the approximately 90 mile drive, over mostly gravel road, to Camp Denali. Along the way you will the the opportunity to see spectacular wildlife (on your trip in we observed wolves eating a caribou kill, Dall sheep, caribou, and grizzly) and spectacular scenery. You'll also stop for a meal. The ride in takes about 8 hours, but there's so much to see the time goes by quickly.

Once at Camp Denali you will be shown to your cabin. Ours was immaculate with a wood stove, queen bed, and an incredible view. The cabin had a wash basin, but water was obtained just outside at a spigot. Our outhouse was about 30 feet down the hillside. (Take your headlamp!) Up near the main lodge were separate men's & women's shower facilities. Here, and in the lodge building, were also flush toilets.

I a separate building a natural history collection and library were housed. Hors d'oeuvres were served here and it was a nice place to sit and have a glass of wine. (Assuming you brought your wine with you, Camp Denali does not serve alcohol. They're very happy to give you a glass though.)

Each day Camp Denali has organized, guided, outings for its guests. Outings were offered at three different difficulty-levels. So whether you wanted to view animals from a vehicle, or hike several miles off into the wilderness, you could find a suitable activity.

Meals were served at set times each day. Seating was assigned by Camp Denali staff with the goal being to have different people sit together so you could get to know the other guests. Food was extremely well prepared, but no elaborate. As I recall, we had one dinner we thought was excellent, and the other dinners were good. Lunch we packed and took on our outing - typically a sandwich, fruit, maybe a yogurt.

The staff at Camp Denali are extremely personable. The guides are very knowledgeable; many have worked at Camp Denali for years. This is a family owned and operated establishment that the 2nd generation is now running. They are very hands-on in ensuring that guests are being taken care of.

When it's time to leave, there's another long bus ride over the 90 miles back to the edge of the park. On the ride out we saw many caribou, several grizzlies (including one that walked within 5 feet of the bus and a mother grizzly with two cubs), Dall sheep, and other smaller animals.

There are very few places in the world I would want to visit more than once. Camp Denali is one of those few places.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Illahee3103
Chicago
Reviewed September 23, 2011

I've been lucky enough to stay in some pretty spectacular places, including some wilderness lodges. This was, by far, the finest. It was NOT the most luxurious... the cabins are comfortable, but spare by five star standards. The food was excellent, but you could eat better, if that's your priority. And there are few "amenities," if you're into that sort of thing. There's no pool, no game room, no bar (in fact, there's no alcohol, but you can bring your own.)

But that's not why you come. You come for the astounding location, the extraordinary staff, and the experience of being in a very remote, very beautiful place, with all the comforts you could reasonably ask for, and more; plus a staff of devoted, knowledgeable, friendly professionals to make sure you leave loving that place as much as they do.

I should say, BTW, that I'm giving it five stars for "kids activities" even though there aren't any, per se, because our kids -- aged 8. 11, and 13 -- just loved doing what we did... hiking, being outdoors, even attending a really interesting lecture in the evening. Much better than anything a more traditional resort could offer.

It is expensive, but worth every penny and more. Can't recommend it too highly. Go if you can.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank Bunkysdad
West Simsbury, Connecticut
Reviewed September 13, 2011

I wish I could give Camp Denali 10 stars! I just returned from a 10-day incredible stay at Camp Denali. Words can not express how special Camp Denali is, an experience I will always remember with great joy. The employees became like family after only a few days, how did the camp find such amazing people? Every single person was a total delight and a pleasure to deal with. I wish I could have taken them all home with me!

Then... there are the meals. Absolutely awesome. The meals are healthy, much is grown in their greenhouse, which is worth seeing. If you have special dietary requirements they are extremely attentive to that at each meal. Vegan? No problem. All meals were fabulous and the presentations lovely.

There is a cabin that is separated by a wall which was fun for a couple gals that like their own space. We each had our own wood stove, burner for morning coffee, etc. Waking up to a view of Mt. Denali out our windows each morning is an experience I will never forget. The mountain was out 9 of the days we were there, which was probably not the norm but we enjoyed it tremendously. Moose passing behind the cabin were an added bonus.

I just can't say enough about Camp Denali to do it justice. Annabelle, Daniel, Matt, absolutely sensational and I do miss them.

Each day there are a number of activities you can choose to participate in and the naturalists are always available and lead hikes (easy, medium, and strenuous) which are fun and informative.

If you can, stay at least three nights at the Camp and then perhaps stay at North Face a few nights - which has electricity and showers in the rooms. A treat you will never forget. Personally, I enjoyed being disconnected at the Camp. There is a pay phone you can use if necessary but disconnecting from technology and filling the mind, body and soul with peacefulness of nature is really a treat you should take advantage of.

Room Tip: Some rooms are closer to the lodge where you will have meals, a request you might make if you have d...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
#2 of 4 in Healy
McKinley Creekside Cabins
McKinley Creekside Cabins
#1 of 7 in McKinley Village

Been to Camp Denali? Share your experiences!