“Don't rent bikes there”

$94.00*
and up
Canyon Run Oar Raft Whitewater Rafting
More attraction details
Owner description: Denali Outdoor Center (D.O.C.) is a full-service outfitter offering whitewater rafting, mild-water float trips, kayaking, canoeing and mountain biking adventures on the boundary of Denali National Park, Alaska. We also offer lakeside nightly cabin rentals and camping at our premier location in Healy, Alaska on the shore of Otto Lake.For convenience, we have 2 office locations, one at Denali Park and the other in Healy, just 10 minutes north of the park entrance. We also provide free shuttle service to and from all local lodging, AKRR Depot, Denali Park Visitor Center and the Wilderness Access Center.Our operating season is from mid-May to mid-September and we are open 7 days from 7:00am to 10:00pm. Our winter hours are M-F 9:00am to 5:00pm Alaska Time.
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We had planned to rent bikes and to cycle through Denali National Park. When we got to the Denali Outdoor Center and asked for bikes, the reaction was "Uhmm, let's see... I'm not sure if we have some nice bikes left..." The guy ransacked his bikes, mumbling "Noo, I can't give you this one, this one has issues... No... neither that one, it has a flat tire..." At the end he gave us two really poor looking bikes and let us try them on the parking lot. The brakes on both bikes didn't really work, one of the bikes had issues with the chain, and none of the bikes had any kind of repair kit / pump on it. It's obvious we decided not to rent the bikes (they would charge $40 a day!)....

2  Thank Hovat85
Bill O, Owner at Denali Outdoor Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

First, I want to apologize for your disappointing experience with Denali Outdoor Center. However, I want to be clear that Darin is a very genuine person and makes every possible effort in these situations to satisfy our customers. It is unfortunate that the bike rental didn't work out but apparently we did not have an available bike at the time. The bikes that Darin was inspecting had been rented, returned in a state of dis-repair and Darin is not the bike tech.

We are very pleased that Darin took the time to inspect the bikes before merely sending you with bikes that would not perform. D.O.C. makes sure every bike is mechanical sound before renting it, and in the event there is a problem, we make every effort to correct the situation. Please see the review from August 22nd, "Awesome Customer Service."

My recommendation would be to make a reservation next time to ensure that bikes are available.

All reviews
"safety instructions"
"an amazing guide"
"waterproof gloves"

Reviewed August 24, 2013

I had never attempted any white water rafting before in my life, but in 2001, I thought since we were in Alaska, I wanted to try it. My thought was how many people could say they had rafted in Alaska, and in Denali to boot. So I went on an oar raft with DOC. It was icy cold, so cold I thought I was soaking wet, but nope. We were bone dry.

So this year, I wanted to show this side of Alaska to my sister. Off we went on an oar raft with DOC again and had a blast! Johnny, our guide was awesome. Shannon, our instructor was most lively and energetic. We really had a great time.

Wow! What a treat to receive a review from a return customer who enjoyed their experience on both occasions. Thank you so much for writing to express your feelings about our trips and your guides. We really appreciate your feedback and I know Johnny and Shannon will be glad to hear you "had a blast!" We hope to see you again!!

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Reserved a tandem bike for Denali National Park for 6 hours at the rate of $50.00. The bike had a few issues like gear shifting and maneuvering the bike was difficult. At the end of our reservation we spoke to Darren. He asked how our ride was and we told him the issues. He apologized and refunded us the total reservation cost. I was not expecting that at all. He also took the bike inside immediately after we left to get it fixed. I really appreciated the amazing customer service he gave us.

Thank you Darren !!

Well, I'm not sure how it happened, but I'm glad you returned safely. As the owner, I'm curious to know how you managed to get the tandem bike, because we are not supposed to be renting it. I sincerely apologize for the mechanical issues you experienced but I'm not surprised since I'm not sure when it was last tuned. I was apparently off-duty that particular day and I can only hope that our mechanic had time to at least take a quick look before it went out. I'm happy Darin refunded your money and very pleased to hear you didn't have more serious problems. We stopped renting that bike shortly after we bought it because it was scary for us to ride it much less people we didn't even know their ability or if they had ever ridden tandem before. Yikes!

Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

I cannot compare with other rafting experience it was our first time but we loved it.
You can choose paddle or oar , paddle is more fun and you have your guide with you anyway. It was not hard.
Our guide was so nice and knowelegable.
The scenery is so nice. So much fun.

Fantastic! Hopefully, you will find other rafting excursions wherever you travel and have similar experiences. Thank you for writing your review and sharing your positive feedback with other potential first-timers. Denali Outdoor Center takes pride in creating whitewater enthusiasts out of first-time rafters. Thanks again!

See more reviews
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We took our family of 5, kids age 13, 11, 8. We had sooo much fun. We did the scenic wilderness 2hour tour. They are a safe company. Our guide is a science teacher so that was great for the kids. It was sunny and 70 degrees out but the water is 35 degrees and you do get splashed. They give you these crazy full body feet to neck gortex suits that keep you dry. I wore fleece pants with hiking pants on top. I wore an ice breaker long sleeve top, fleece top with a light but insulated jacket. Then the gortex outfit is on top. I was not cold at all. Your hands are exposed and they dont give you gloves. I had a water resistant camera that I am so glad I brought with me. My pictures are fantastic. But your camera WILL get wet. Even though you have these crazy gortex things on your feet your socks WILL get wet. Bring extra socks to put on when you are done. Really really fun activity for a family.

2  Thank E J