Review Highlights
Must do

This brings you to a better understanding of what life is like and what pioneers these people... read more

rava63

from $159.00
from $95.00
from $99.00
1,500 results
All reviews jeff king iditarod race iditarod winner warm heart puppy love adult dogs alaskan huskies great speaker week old puppies dog lovers great presentation informative presentation his passion all ages his life informative talk the bus
Reviewed October 2, 2018 via mobile

This brings you to a better understanding of what life is like and what pioneers these people are.

Watching the dogs and hearing the owner and the guys who
Work there is inspiring.

Kids and animal lovers can’t miss this !

2  Thank rava63
Reviewed October 2, 2018

I enjoyed this MUCH more than I thought I would. The puppies were so adorable and I could have stayed there holding them the whole night. It was also a very informative experience and I learned so much about the Iditarod!

Reviewed October 2, 2018

We really enjoyed learning about the Iditarod and the raising of the dogs that run it. We were allowed to hold both 10 day old and 2.5 month old puppies. The dogs really love what they are doing and when they were getting ready to do a practice run pulling an ATV as there was no snow all the dogs went crazy wanting to be "picked" to go. We learned a lot about the people that run this race and how they care for the dogs. I wasn't sure I would enjoy it but we had a free evening and I am happy I did.

Reviewed October 2, 2018 via mobile

Absolutely wonderful for all. Everyone gets to hold and love on the puppies. The presentation was very interesting and Jeff King really explains the training for both man and dogs needed to run The Iditarod.

1  Thank Maggie9008
Reviewed September 30, 2018 via mobile

Best part of my Alaska trip was getting to see the famous sled dogs! The puppies were so friendly and adorable and the staff kept them safe and comfortable with all of us. The staff was also very friendly, I guess adorable, too, and taught us a lot about both the dogs and the sledding training and races. Getting to meet Jeff King was so awesome! He told us such great stories and signed copies of his book and our official puppy photos. Can’t wait to read it.
After mostly being outdoors and hiking and seeing so much of nature in Alaska, it was a nice change of pace to sit down and learn about traditions and heritage as well. And, of course, play with pups. Only wish we had more time with them!

Reviewed September 27, 2018

Coming from Australia, we were very keen to see the Husky Homestead as it's not something we would see at home (I'm sure there are people who dog sled somewhere but we live in such a hot climate it wouldn't be anything like you'd find in Alaska). From the time we arrived and were handed a puppy we were spellbound. Dogs all over the place tied up, all barking excitedly (I personally hate to see dogs on chains but I kept telling myself these guys get lots of exercise). Listening to staff talk about the dogs it was great to hear the passion they have for dog sledding and these magnificent animals. The highlight of the morning though was listening to Jeff King talk. I could have sat there all day. A very experienced and confident speaker, he kept us completely spellbound listening to his tales of life with his dogs and he painted such a very clear picture of what it's like racing with his team. But what completely did it for me was the obvious love and respect he has for all his dogs. (I confess to having very (uninformed) anti-dog sled opinions before arriving in Alaska. All my information had come from movies/TV and I used to think that tying dogs to sleds and making them run and pull heavy loads and then make them sleep out in the snow was just the very worst of cruelty. I was so glad I came away with a new perspective.) These dogs were happy, healthy dogs with such a zest for life. I can't help but feel the poor dogs I see at home stuck behind a fence all day doing nothing, not getting any exercise, would change places in an instant.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
2  Thank Julzzzzz
Reviewed September 26, 2018 via mobile

Our visit started with holding a puppy. They then showed us about the training is Huskeys for the Ididerod. It was intertwining and amazing watching the dogs(atheletes) perform. We loved learning about the trails everyone goes through during training and the racing. We bought Jeff King's book.
It is great reading of adventure. Unlike any other experiences I read.
We would highly recommend seeing Huskey Homestead.

Reviewed September 23, 2018

You get off the branded shuttle and are handed a husky puppy. So fun! Then, you learn all about what they do there while you watch (and hear) the 100+ dogs. Lots of education, very open to photos, and just fun! The three people driving the van/ handing us puppies/ and giving the tour have all been in sled dog races so you are hearing first hand from the experts. Then, at the end we got to hold puppies again!

Reviewed September 19, 2018 via mobile

We made our own reservations for this using the website and they worked out. They were very professional and picked us up at the hotel promptly. We saw 4 day old puppies and held 3 week old puppies. We met Jeff King and his daughter. He has a very nice program and demonstrates how he trains the dogs, quite impressive. A must for first time to Alaska.

1  Thank Aservies
Reviewed September 17, 2018

As most reviews have stated, this is a MUST-DO! It’s a very professional & polished "tour". As soon as you arrive, you’re handed an Alaskan Husky puppy. The puppies we got to hold were 3-weeks old. We got to hear Jeff King speak, and he is very informative and funny. You learn a lot by visiting here – about dog sledding, and how it’s a way of life in much of Alaska; about the Iditarod and other races; and about the dogs and how they’re brought up and how much they LOVE to pull and run. There’s also a demo where the dogs pull an ATV (there was no snow there in Sept). It’s a fantastic experience.

1  Thank bertsirkin