“From fine dining before to Burgers and Pizza! The Magic is GONE!”

Panamint Springs Resort Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Big Bear City, California
“From fine dining before to Burgers and Pizza! The Magic is GONE!”
Reviewed December 16, 2011

My best friend and I made the Panamint Springs Resort our new Thanksgiving tradition beginning in 2008, and with the exception of last year, came regularly. Well, after missing last year we SO looked forward to our stay after our 1 year absence. Upon arrival, we checked-in as usual and could not wait to have our favorite pasta dinner. Imagine my SHOCK when I opened the menu to see burgers, pizza and 1 steak offered (and it's NOT CHEAP EITHER!). The pizza at $33.70 (pizza, 1 coke, 1 coffee) made a $4.99 frozen Stater Brothers look GOOD in comparison. It took 1 hour to get a pizza with the restaurant and bar almost deserted, and another regular patron was shocked when she could not get a cup of decaf coffee.

Not one smile from the staff that evening and compared to years past the bar and restaurant were deserted. I wonder why? Hummmmmm To add insult to injury upon our departure I commented to a woman named Nancy that the pizza stank. Her response was smug, not apologetic: "Well, I like the pizza and I heard the previous menu was not so good". Well, unlike Nancy, I've eaten off of BOTH menus, so quite frankly I didn't take her opinion or comments with much validity. Panamint Springs is now officially practicing what is the beginning of the end of any business: Cut service and raise prices. Perhaps Panamint Springs and the Post Office should take value in this important lesson! It doesn't WORK! Well, the magic is gone and I won't be staying there and spending $650 PLUS per year with them. I guess the one-time drive-by tourist is more valuable than loyal guests. Good Luck, Panamint Springs... you're gonna need it!

• Visited November 2011

Michigan
“Flavorful Pizza”
Reviewed November 3, 2011

The vegtable pizza is one of the best I've had with so many light, crisp tastes and was enjoyed out on the deck overlooking the 2 lane highway that is visable for miles. This wayside is known for it's abundant beer selections and the salads are fresh with color.
This is a family owned, restored resort in a good location. The gas station / registration store (for cabins,campground) next door has a good selection of cold beverages to quench the thirst as you travel through this scenic, arid spot.

• Visited October 2011
Elgin, Illinois
“Not a good choice for breakfast!”
Reviewed October 11, 2011

We stopped at this resort for gas and for breakfast on our way to Yosemite. It turned out to be a buffet with pancakes, bacon & eggs. As it turned out it was a mistake to eat there. The buffet was $12.00 and really not worth it. Food was just OK. The restaurant had a beautiful view, but the resort has seen better days. I would take a pass unless you are really starving.

• Visited October 2011
Los Angeles
“Good lunch stop”
Reviewed January 7, 2011

We stop here for lunch and ordered grilled sandwich which was very good. Staff was friendly also.

• Visited December 2010
California
“A major disapointment all the way around!”
Reviewed October 11, 2010

Stopped off here in Sept with a friend for a cold beer and relax before heading on to Rhyolite. At that time the service wasn't bad and the beer was cold, although the redwood bar felt sticky no matter where I rested my arm! Came back by on Sat. 10/09/10 with my daughter and it was a complete disappointment! The inside smelled like fish from the swamp coolers and no one was around to greet us. Finally an old dude came out from the kitchen area and never once looked at us! After about three mins. of fumbling at the register he mumbled something about "she'll be here in a second". Well, "She" never showed so as he was walking back into the kitchen he called out a name and some young chick comes out and asks us if we want inside or outside dinning. We asked for outside and then she proceeds to hand us our menus and says, "I'll be with you in a bit". We go outside and find a table and opened the menu to some majorly high priced food! My daughter ordered the coconut shrimp appetizer and it was $18.00 for a few pieces of frozen breaded shrimp! I had the blue cheese burger which was actually blue cheese dressing poured over my burger and fries that reminded me of the ones I hate at Burger King. My daughter also got a basket of onion rings that were the not so great frozen bagged kind. We both had ice teas and our bill came to $45.00 for two people! I will never ever ever stop off here again and will pack PB & J sandwiches before I will give a penny to this unfriendly,dirty, rude, and high priced establishment again! Don't' waste your time or your money! The only thing the waitress will ask of you or care about is that YOU DON'T FEED THE BIRDS because they will land all over you and your table! LOL!

2 Thank Stars4Esther