WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“Pleasant campground overall.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Texas Spring Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Death Valley National Park
Texas Spring Campground
Oxnard, California
“Pleasant campground overall.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

I choose this campground without even looking at Furnace Creek since I knew it was higher, smaller and often less crowded than furnace creek. Lack of reservations may contribute to the lighter use. I stayed in October. Springtime would be much busier and I would probably be inclined to reserve a site at Furnace Creek if I went in the spring. This campground caters to both tent campers and RV'rs. It has tent-only campsites and generator use is not allowed- (another attraction for me, as I am a tent camper.) About 2/3 of the tent-only campsites are located at the lower end of the campground and have varying degrees of vegetation, though only 3 or 4 sites at most offer any kind of real shade. Many of those tent sites are also spaced fairly well apart, compared to other sites. When I arrived late Friday evening, I found the campground lightly occupied overall but most of the lower loop tent sites were taken, so even though they were more spacious, the area was crowded. I like to get out of my car and walk around a campground before I select a site and and it became apparent that there were some noisy, boom box type people in the lower loop. True desert rats enjoy the quiet of the desert and are respectful of others when they have to share their environment. Obviously, these were pikers, so I moved on to the upper end of the campground, where there were a few quiet campers spread well apart. The upper loop has more of a parking lot effect, but with the few campers there spread out, it was quite nice. I would have enjoyed the area less if the campground were at max capacity. There was somewhat of a view of the valley floor, and proximity to the springs and mudhill formations was nice. The no-generator rule was violated by one party in a motorhome early both mornings while I was there, It was clearly one of the quieter 4 stroke generators, but still loud enough to wake me up. There is plenty of bathroom capacity and they were in fairly clean condition- probably more from light use than attentive cleaning. Most of the bathrooms have nice, large utility sink stations near them. I knew these would be there, so I left my bucket and and wash basins at home, saving a bit of space in my compact car. Depositing dish water or other wastewater on the ground is prohibited. The main attraction for me was that a very nice hike to Funeral Slot Canyon (aka Furnace Slot Canyon) originates from the campground. This mostly trail-less 8 mile hike is not in any printed guide books that I am aware of and is not for novices, but is a very worthy venture for experienced hikers.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Sleep Quality
10 Thank keltytrekker

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

After much computer research as to which campsite to stay at, when we arrived, we went to see both the biggest one (Furnace Creek) and Texas Spring. It was late October, and Texas Spring didn't have as many shade trees, but it was a lot emptier. We found a decent site with a little bit of shade. We liked the location of the site and the campground. Not too far away from most of the things we wanted to see. It was close to the Furnace Springs resort too, which was really convenient for the daily replenishment of the ice for our food. It was a little unseasonably hot when we went, and so one afternoon we enjoyed the pool at the resort as well.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple