“Eerie”
Review of Barker Ranch

Barker Ranch
More attraction details
Owner description: This ranch was the final hiding place for Charles Manson.
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Do NOT go in from the Warm Springs Camp! We rented a jeep from Farabee Jeep Rental place by Furnace Creek. The road gets EXTREMELY treturous and unless if you are an experienced 4x4 driver and have your head screwed on straight, I would not recommend this route. If you are a jack*$ driver, you WILL get stuck in Mengel Pass area!!! The roads for Barker Ranch are not marked well (probably on purpose). If you must see Barker ranch, then I would recommend you going in from Ballarat Ghost Town road in and back out the same way. It was eerie going there.

6  Thank Mell72
"road"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed April 21, 2012

Recommend Death Valley National park as a great day trip from Las Vegas
This is a good place to stop for lunch

3  Thank JD5636
Reviewed October 1, 2010

We found it VERY difficult to find the ranch and we had a great time doing it!
We rented a Farabee Jeep, thank god. Someone had previously told me that I should have no problem getting there in my Kia Rondo and there is no way that baby would have made far past Ballarat without it's parts shaking loose!
I would highly recommend renting one of these vehicles, it did not struggle with any of the terrain.
Have fun----stop in at Ballarat for some tips on finding the place!

12  Thank Laurac35
Reviewed February 1, 2010

We went up to barker's ranch jan.17,2010. It was quite a ride up there. Only one kinda rough spot where 4wd helps. Someone has burned the place down but there is still plenty to see.I got a bunch of fabulous pictures. Another ranch is right next to the manson place called the myer's ranch. It is now inhabited by the sister of catherine " cappy' Myers and they don't like visitors too much. A gate with no trespassing signs and a 357 magnum convinced us not to go too far. Cappy's sister and husband were both real gracious but wished not to be disturbed. You gotta respect that.

9  Thank travlinpete
See more reviews
Reviewed October 8, 2008

I really love Barker Ranch! Yes you have to know how to get there and as of Jan. "08 4 wheel drive is the preferred method of traveI especially as there are other places nearby to explore which do require some wheel beneath you. I love the history of the place although it is a dark history since Manson used it. It is a beautiful and desolate place to picnic and ponder the thoughts that went through the heads of the manson family. I wouldn't camp there for anything because if that place isn't haunted, it should be.

4  Thank 4wheelwoman