“Living Ghost Town”

Ballarat Ghost Town
More attraction details
Owner description: This town was once a supply town for mines in the region and is a good stop during a driving tour of the valley.
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Ballarat Ghost Town on it's own is ok but the lake near it is really cool. The lake in the cloudy skies looked deep blue with white salt all around it. Very picturesque. Also, we spotted a few wild donkey's with their offspring.

3  Thank Mell72

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Have you seen THe Hills Have Eyes? This place is freaking scary. I had to camp there overnight and I didn't get one wink of sleep. 'Also check out the my picture of the sweet bathroom we had to use. I think I peed next to it instead of in it.

Enough said...

4  Thank bluebondy
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Okay, so there isn't much of a "town" left.... that being said, I had a great time photographing what was there. In addition, I totally enjoyed chatting with Rock, the caretaker. If you were thirsty, he had sodas, beer, and water for sale. There are also restrooms which can be a welcome sight if you've been driving in the desert without one. There were about five motorhomes in the parking lot. These belong to people who are still mining for gold and silver. I was greeted by his dog who was just as friendly as can be. I did leave $2.00 in the tip can for his hospitality and taking the time to chat with me.

I thought it was well worth the stop but I was also looking at everything from a photographers view. I can understand some of the negative reviews since this isn't as well preserved as others. All that was left were four buildings, some old beat up rusted vehicles, and lots of desert. I totally enjoyed photographing it and would recommend stopping if you are passing by.

7  Thank WorldWanderer99
Reviewed February 14, 2012

I don't consider four run down shacks a ghost town. There simply isn't much to see.

3  Thank dtrew
Reviewed February 2, 2012

My husband enjoyed this side trip more than I did. It was very windy that day and after meeting the caretaker, I just got back in the car. Not my kind of place!

1  Thank Ani S