“Way short of satisfactory”

The Oasis at Death Valley
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Arrive pulling a 5th wheel. Site was changed when we arrived and was nothing near what was described. Only shower is at the swimming pool and they only open that when they feel like it, I stood outside the pool gate for two hours waiting for them to open at the time I was told it would open.
They really have you over a barrel here in the wilderness and they know it. I can't imagine staying here again.
Reservation person was uninformed.
Check-in was slow and unsatisfactory.
Employees were unhelpful, uninformed and seemed unhappy to be working here.
Trailer site was similar to Walmart parking lot without the shopping.
Facilities are old, worn and needy.
The Ranch could be so much better but it isn't!

Room Tip: Stay at Stove Pipe Wells instead.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Thomas F
Write a ReviewReviews (5,570)

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Our room had bed bugs hiding in the headboard. I was bitten multiple times and the itching woke me up. When I went to the bathroom, one was running along the floor. The maids and front desk did not seem surprised by this and comments were made as to the efforts they had put in to eradicate the problem. I am very upset as the infestation could get back into OUR house, costing us thousands of dollars!! We did get a full refund, but my hand itches like hell and basically ruining my vacation. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!! They are not upfront about the bugs!

Room Tip: Watch for Bed bugs!!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Janice_w2112
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We arrived here in the afternoon after a relatively short drive from Las Vegas. We stayed here for one night in late September. Check in was slow, but after that everything was great! The room we had faced the pool and was slightly dated but comfortable. The pool was warm and it was great to have a dip after sunset. We ate dinner in the pub. My partner commented on the very good quality of the steak. There was a post office there too which was great as we had wanted to send some postcards.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stayed at the ranch for one night as part of our tour of the west. We had a room overlooking the golf course at the back of the hotel. Our room, the corridors and all the public buildings are all in need of a lick of paint and some updating.

We had evening meal and breakfast and both were ok but nothing special.

I think because of the lack of alternative in Death Valley that perhaps the incentive to improve the hotel is not there.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

Furnace creek ranch is perfect for hiking death valley. The cabins are very well equiped. There are 2 or 3 eating options, rather expensive. Nice swimming pool, beautiful views. Very friendly staff. Amazing sunsets.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank pepichka
Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

It is a long drive from Yosemite and we arrived in the dark completely oblivious to our surroundings. The hotel reception staff were very welcoming and we dropped our bags straight off and headed for dinner before the chef departed at 9pm. The food was very good and the service excellent.

When we woke up and headed for breakfast - 'wow!!!!' - the scenery was unbelievable!!! The breakfast was excellent and we headed straight out to explore the amazing scenery of Death Valley.

We made sure webgot back from sight seeing by 4pm to enjoy the great pool.

I think some of the reviews are overly harsh on the hotel. It is more than I expected from somewhere 2 hours from civilisation in the middle of the hottest place on the planet!!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Mark H
Reviewed October 25, 2013

When I booked one night at Furnace Creek Ranch I didn't know what to expect being in a desert. Wow!!!! was I ever surprised. I could have stayed there a week. The check in was easy. Everyone was friendly and treated you like you were home. The Borax Museum was just a plus with all the memorabilia from that era as was the beautiful sunrise and sunsets.. The room was a welcome sight. It was not only clean but huge with a very comfortable bed. If I ever get back that way I will sure stay at this ranch.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends