“Return trip 47 years later”

The Inn at Death Valley
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I first visited in 1966. Returned July 10,2013 for 100 year anniversary of hottest day. A step back in time. Hadn't changed as I recall. It is an amazing place with lots of history and scenery. A must do in one's life. Maybe in Winter? Food was good, but buffet price on door was not the actual price.

Room Tip: We stayed on ground level so no need to carry bags up stairs. Nice grass area and rocking chairs on...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 15, 2013

A nice, one-night stop-over. It was 124 degrees when we checked in at 3pm, but our room already had the air conditioner going in our room, which was nice. We spent a few hours beating the heat in the big, spring-fed pool and then headed to the Saloon for a an easy dinner and a couple of drafts at the bar. The General Store has a lot of souvenirs and other trinkets, along with basic food stuffs. Staff throughout was friendly and helpful. My only complaint concerns the post office clerk at the PO situated on-site, but that's not anything Furnace Creek can influence. (Let's just say: don't stop in if you are in a hurry.)

Room Tip: Ask for the 800 or 900 buildings- farther back from parking, pool & road, closer to quiet, prett...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2013

(This is a belated review because our stay was in April.)
We were in the 900 room block, at the south edge of the lodging area and adjacent to the golf course. That's a good location both for the view and for the quiet side.
First impression wasn't too good -- the hallway carpet was frayed, the room carpet was ugly, and the "foot blankets" (or whatever they're called) at the bottom of the bed were unraveling. Initially I was disappointed. However on closer inspection the room was pretty good. Aside from the little blankets, everything was in good condition, and more importantly clean. The bathroom tiling was high quality and beautiful. The plumbing was quiet -- I'm a light sleeper and often awakened in motels by running showers and flushing toilets, but that didn't bother me here. Housekeeping was on the ball and our stay was quite pleasant.

There was a coffee maker and small fridge in the room, but I'd have liked a microwave. Food is expensive and it would have been great to save a few bucks with micro'd food.

My only big complaint was the Wi-Fi service. It was unusable. The signal kept dropping; it was out far more than in. I'd be lucky to read one email before losing it. After a couple days of that I reported it to the front desk. They gave me the phone number of their IT provider (a separate company) and advised me to contact them. I don't think a guest should have to try troubleshooting this kind of problem. Despite being annoyed, I did call and spent an hour on the phone with a guy who was trying to be helpful, but the problem was really with the limited equipment and couldn't be resolved without an upgrade. His final resolution was to tell me to go to the front desk and work from there when I wanted Internet access. Not the solution I wanted. And I recounted all this in the customer satisfaction survey Xanterra sent after my stay, but never got a response.

Aside from Wi-Fi we were happy with the stay. Aside from the one clerk at the desk, all the staff was friendly and competent.

Room Tip: - A food tip: dinners are expensive. To save money we picked up a couple beers from the general sto...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

Upon arrival, our cabin did not look especially impressive from the outside...but indoors, the cabins are delightful. Furnishings & decor were modern & appear new, pillows abundant & puffy, room was clean, & beds exceptionally comfortable. The parking space adjoined our room, most convenient for loading & unloading during our two night stay. Check-in was a breeze. There are multiple restaurants located in the complex, offering something for everyone at reasonable prices. A General Store is onsite, in addition to a Post Office, open air Borax Museum, and several amenities. Of all Death Valley lodging options, this property is the most centrally located for exploring DV's natural attractions. It's a short drive to Badwater Basin, Artist's Palette, Zabriski Point, etc. I appreciated the resort feel overall, perfect for relaxing nighttime walks. I was fascinated by the clarity when stargazing. The property appears as a desert oasis, most notably with the green golf course & abundance of date trees. The cabin street itself is cozy, surrounded by desert trees & palms, and at street's end, the golf course. It was tranquil, sitting on the porch rocker, no noise from the adjacent cabin, streets quiet at night...so relaxing. Staff, waitstaff and other patrons were all friendly. As we stayed during the New Year's holiday, the property was decorated for Christmas, including streets lined with luminaries. I visited with my teen, but I believe this would be a cozy getaway location for couples. The nightly rate for our cabin was identical that of our Stovepipe Wells room the previous night. Furnace Creek *FAR outshines Stovepipe in ALL respects. (See my Stovepipe review.) Should you need internet or cell accessibility, our Stovepipe wifi & cell access were non-existent, whereas we never had so much as a glitch at Furnace Creek. Furnace Creek offers the best accommodations in Death Valley.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank CocoGracieandMe
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We have stayed here for 1 night with our 3 teenage kids in early July 2013. It was very hot (38°C at night...) and there was something wrong with the fan in the room which made the airco very inefficient & this made it impossible to sleep; they transfered us to another room with good airco late in the evening, so the problem was professionally resolved. We were 5 and the extra bed came in only after 2 requests and more than 1h waiting time.
The rooms were clean (I would call it Motel-style) and we have had a very nice swim in the large pool in the morning (pool was closed the evening before @ 10 pm, while official opening hours mentioned 11 pm...). Had dinner in the 49er restaurant & this was a little pricy but OK (the Buffet in the other restaurant on the site was even more expensive). We bought breakfast sandwich from the general store.
Despite the fact that Furnace Creek is one of the few hotel options when traveling late from Vegas into Death Valley, staff is helpful and friendly. Would recommend it to stay for the night, but few things to do when considering longer stays.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We booked one night / two rooms through Otel.com. Don't.

We hadn't printed our reservation confirmation. Double don't. That's a hanging offense (sic).

We thought that the welcome was a little cool at the outset. Okay, okay, we had arrived early, and check-in wasn't advised for a few hours yet. The receptionist seemed unprogrammed to handle "incoming" before 1500. She was still in the "outgoing" program.

...anyhow, I had the booking confirmation on my iPhone, but that wasn't sufficient. The hoops we had to jump through to get the keys to our rooms in this very, very hot, arid desert heat! I was asked to email the booking to the receptionist from the aforementioned iPhone. But she was already expecting us -- because that's what a booking is after all. So it must have been on her system! Nonetheless, for some reason she needed a hard copy - sort of like a secret password or something.

Hey-oh, her printer didn't work, so her colleague jumped into the fray and output the confirmation I had emailed across.

Check-in commenced - well sort of. We weren't issued with our keys and told that the room would not be available for a few hours. We were early, and by way of recompense, we were promised a room with a prime view.

A room! But we were two independent travellers. Both our names were on her system. Did I have the printed confirmation for the 2nd person. NO! I had it on my iPho... I didn't think that groundhogs were indigenous to the desert.

Eventually, after driving around the environs for a few hours, we returned to be awarded two sets of keys. We found our way to our rooms which were ground floor in the most westerly block - with French windows opening onto a verdant, tree lined "paddock " bordering the golf course. It was as promised; well appointed, largish double room; ample bathroom facilities and secluded. Parking was close by.

Sitting on the verandah during sundown - glass of wine(s) in hand, watching the back-lit sprinklers irrigating the greens was extremely soothing.

In all, our brief stay was pleasant with a good choice of dining facilities. The waiting staff were extremely obsequious. That that is so often the American way, but not offensive in the slightest.

Many of the sandy sights are a short drive from the ranch: Zabriskie Point; Artist's Palate; Devil's Golf Course, and many more.

Take plenty of water and a sun hat.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room overlooking the golf course.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ansel S
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Visiting Death Valley was on my ‘bucket list’….we FINALLY had a chance to drive there! On the way to the Ranch, we passed The Inn at Furnace Creek…SOME day I’d like to stay there; it looks beautiful from the outside.

Checking in at the Ranch was effortless; the workers at the front desk were kind and helpful. We were quite surprised how nice our room was. Everything was modern and clean…the TV had cable stations we actually watch! I thought we’d be stuck watching 3 local channels. The only negative comment I have is that there was no cold water in the shower.

There are several buildings to this complex…a general store/gift shop, saloon, museum, buffet restaurant as well as tennis courts and a swimming pool… pretty much everything you need. We had a chance to whet our whistles at the saloon after visiting the museum and gift shop.

Attractions nearby consist of Scotty’s Castle, Badwater Basin, the Borax Museum, the Devil’s Golf Course, Artists Drive, as well as Mushroom Rock, Zabriskie Point and Dante’s View. We only had a chance to see Badwater Basin, the lowest point in the Western Hemisphere. Unfortunately, the temperature was “only” 121 degrees!

On our way out of the Death Valley National Park, we decided to drive down the entire Badwater Road instead of turning onto Highway 190 at the Furnace Creek Inn. Make sure you have enough gas and plenty of fluids before you take this route. I guarantee you will not see a semi-truck for miles and you will pass by just a handful of other cars taking this road.

We’ll probably head back to Death Valley in the winter---when it’s cooler!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 3 in El Portal
Stovepipe Wells Village Hotel
Stovepipe Wells Village Hotel
#1 of 3 in Death Valley National Park

Been to The Inn at Death Valley? Share your experiences!