The Ranch at Death Valley
Panamint Springs Resort(Death Valley National Park)
$35
$31
  • Restaurant
The Inn at Death Valley(Death Valley National Park)
$276
$69
Motel 6
$91
$88
Amargosa Opera House and Hotel(Death Valley Junction)
$85
  • Free Internet
$25
6,040 results
All reviewsgolf coursedeath valleyborax museumgeneral storefurnace creekon sitepost officeswimming poolspring fedtennis courtsrocking chairsnational parkair concorkscrew saloonwrangler steakhousean oasiszabriskie point
Reviewed March 2, 2012

The pictures they show online are the only 3 nice pictures they have. The rest of the resort is hardly to par. I camped nearby and paid to use their showering facilities at a pretty hefty price. It was around $6.00. I paid for and received my shower ticket. They had a sign that said "no refunds". Which is understandable, after all how can you refund a shower? I left back to my camp to gather my clothes, when I huge storm came up and started blowing away our tents so I had to stay back. This was just prior to the showers closing, so the storm delayed me long enough that the showers has already closed. The next morning I went back to try to take a shower and they told me that ticket I had was only good for yesterday and I need to buy another ticket. I tried explaining my predicament and they didn't care. In fact, they are were very matter-of-fact about the whole situation and didn't even try to negotiate a discount or anything. I had to pay $12.00 for one shower and poor customer service to boot. And the grounds look like they are a relic from the 60's, very disappointing.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank GeoHiker
Xanterra, General Manager at The Ranch at Death Valley, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2012

Thank you for posting your sincere comments on TripAdvisor. We have considered whether to offer the resort showers and spring-fed pool facilities to campers who stay at NPS campgrounds for quite some time. We have made the swimming pool, which has been remodeled with new shade structures and lounge seating, and showers available to campers for many years as a convenience. If you would like personal assistance with resolving this issue, please contact me directly at your convenience. As with all guests, your satisfaction is my top priority.

Rich Jones
Furnace Creek Resort
rjones@xanterra.com

Reviewed March 1, 2012

There are two parts to this resort, the Ranch and the Resort. The Ranch is cheaper by half and has most of the restaurants, general store and the borax Museum. It is by far the better deal. While we didn't see the rooms in the Resort, there was only one small gift shop which closed before 5, a lobby bar with limited seating and a dining room that insists in a dress code. Fine if that's your style but not particularly complementary to travellers.

Both places charge above average rates for the level of facilities they offer. The Ranch is very neat but the buildings show their age inspite of attempts at modernization. There are no microwaves in the rooms so the frozen food offered by the general store is only targeted at the RV park.

The food is good but you'll pay a couple of bucks more than you would outside the park. The gas prices however are outrageous. Gas costs roughly $2 more per gallon than outside the park and $1 more than in Panamint Springs so fill up before you go to the park.

In spite of all this, if you really want to experience Death Valley (and you definitely should) you need to stay at this resort. It is pretty much in the middle of all the attractions. It is very easy to experience the main areas of the Valley in a couple of days if you home base from this resort.

So in spite of the pretty obvious price gouging going on the Death Valley experience makes it worth it. Just plan your advance purchases so you spend as little as possible at the resort. We easily made it into the park, the major attractions (except Scotty's Castle area) and back out over 3 days on one tank of gas.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Don T
Reviewed March 1, 2012

This is a great place. Our room was nice and clean with the patio and two great rocking chairs overlooking the ranch. The staff was pretty good too. The restaurant is a bit costly but is good. I think it is justified as there is nothing around in that area.This was our first trip to Death Valley and definitely a memorable one. Death valley is just an amazing place to visit!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Advisor7118
Reviewed February 29, 2012

My friend and I spent three nights at the Inn, and had a wonderful time. The location is central for a variety of moderate hikes in the National Park, so we did not spend much time at the Inn during the day. But we each had a great massage one morning from the Inn's friendly masseuse, and we enjoyed peaceful evenings in our room, with the door open to our "front porch" with chairs overlooking the oasis area with its burbling creeks running down the hillside. We had a good coffee maker and were able to get up at different times in the morning and have a cup of coffee outdoors. We did have cell service at the hotel, and a nice flat screen t.v. The room was unique with its fireplace and prettily tiled bathroom. Do have to say that the food is distinctly unimpressive and the dining room was too formal for our taste, especially when on a hiking vacation. And the room was certainly pricey, but for such a unique stay in such a remote area, I did not think it was unreasonable. Only other complaint would be that I would think front desk staff would act more as a "concierge" regarding local sights and hikes, rather than just pointing us to the standard written materials.

Room Tip: We really liked our King room with fireplace on the second floor overlooking the oasis area.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank pedalmom
Reviewed February 29, 2012

What a great place! Our room was in the single story section of the ranch, with the patio and two great rocking chairs overlooking the lawn and pool. he room was very clean with plenty of room for the four of us in two queens. The staff could not have been more friendly, each one seemed to be treating us to their home. This was our first trip to Death Valley for four 60 year old native Californians, we will return. We didn't take our little dog on this trip, only service dogs are allowed in the ranch rooms.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends