“Great Location”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Death Valley National Park
Panamint Springs Resort
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Great Location”
Reviewed April 4, 2012

We were slightly nervy about staying here following some of the reviews, but it was the right side of the park for us as we were making an early start the next day. The room although not huge was adequate, and although we did hear our neighbours on occasion they did not disturb us.

The food and beer in the adjacent bar was very good (we had burgers) as was the $10 all you can eat breakfast the following day.

Overall it provided what was asked a clean room at a decent price.

3 Thank BrummieVegasFan
panamint_springs, Manager at Panamint Springs Resort, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us! We appreciate your feedback and hope you will visit us again in the future. All the best.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hayward, California, United States
Reviewed April 1, 2012

Come for the view and proximity to Death Valley, not for resort amenities. The area is awe-inspiring; the motel is ik--hard to get a reservationm but it's inexpensive.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review. Our motel is very basic, although we do boast free Wi-Fi for all of our guests via satellite signal. We hope you will come visit us again soon. Take care.
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed March 29, 2012

If you are desperate, stay here. Of the three places we stayed while in Death Valley, this is last by a landslide. After reading reviews, we went for the cabin. It did have the advantage of no adjoining walls. When I walked in and turned on the air conditioning unit, it started blowing sand into the living room. On the plus side, I think the room was clean before the sand hit it.

The cabin has two bedrooms. One has an air conditioner as the headboard for a queen bed. The other must have once been the back porch wood shed, with a low ceiling. None of the windows opened in this room and there wasn't even a fan -- a double/twin bunk bed took upmost of the space.

To get to the bathroom, you have to walk through the bedroom with the queen bed.The small refrigerator had no shelves so you just had to pile stuff in and hope the door stayed closed.

The rug was stained and the furniture frayed. We've stayed in numerous "quaint" old motels and thought they were fine but this was an overpriced dive.

There's a good selection of beers on tap (and lots to choose from in bottles) at the bar/restaurant and the pizza was fine. The service was good. There is very little in the general store.

4 Thank biondabear
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. We appreciate your feedback. I'm sorry that you did not enjoy your stay here.

The air conditioner in the living room blowing sand is extremely embarrassing! I'm so sorry! Sometimes if there is a windstorm sand is blown into the intake. This was a staff oversight, as they should have turned it on to clear it out before they cleaned. This issue has been addressed with the housekeeping staff.

Since your stay, we have moved the queen bed in the master bedroom so that the air conditioner is no longer above the bed. The second bedroom with the bunk beds is very small. The windows do not open, but there is a door to the back porch that opens. We appreciate your feedback about the lack of circulation, and will consider the feasibility of adding an additional a/c unit or fan.

The layout is strange in that you have to walk through the master bedroom to get to the bathroom. We do disclose this fact on our website, where we also have photos of all the rooms, www.panamintsprings.com. Some of the shelves in our current refrigerator have been broken, but we will be purchasing a new one shortly.

The carpet in the cottage is very unfortunate, as it is off-white. This means you can see every stain! I do my best to keep it clean. I guarantee it is shampooed more than any hotel you've stayed in, but because of the color it doesn't always look clean. One of our next projects is to remove the carpet and put it a wood floor.

Although our motel is more expensive than a similar place would be in a metropolitan area, we are the least expensive lodging option in Death Valley National Park. Our prices reflect our high operating costs due to being off grid in a remote area.

Again, thank you for taking the time to review us. We are a small family business and we are doing the best we can to make improvements whenever possible. We hope you will give us another chance in the future.
Rancho Cucamonga, California
Reviewed March 29, 2012

After all the reviews I heard I didn't want to stay here but had waited to the last minute to make reservations and this was the only place available on the day we wanted. I wasn't expecting much but we had room 12 - two queen beds. The room was clean, sheets looked good, bed comfy, bathroom was good and clean. There was no noise even though it looked completely full. The RV camp across the street was party city but not at the rooms. Surprisely the food was good too. Limited menu for dinner and breakfast was a buffet. Didn't like spending $30 for a pizza but it was quite good.

Room Tip: Don't buy gas here, go into Stovepipe Wells for a better price. They are very helpful in guiding...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us! We really appreciate it and hope you will visit us again in the future. All the best!
San Rafael, California
Reviewed March 20, 2012

We stayed at the Panamint Springs resort and I'm here to tell you that your experience will really depend on the room you get. The first night we were in room #3, which has a queen bed. We had a terrible experience as this had an ajoining door and not only was that not soundproofed, but the top edge of the wall adjoining the ceiling had a huge gap in it where the light from the ajoining room came in. You could hear everything in the next room and I mean everything.

However, the next night we were in room #14, a room with three beds. The room was spacious and was much better soundproofed. The bathroom was large and actually had a bath. A very nice room that I would recommend. Of course, this room was about $40 more then room #3, but well worth it.

Oh, and be sure to fill up your car before you get here. They are well known as having the highest gasoline price in the continental United States. In March 2012, it was $5.48 for regular, about $1.10 higher per gallon then in Lone Pine, 40 miles away.

Room Tip: Highly recommend #14 or those around it.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 19, 2012

I think they use the lack of hotels in the area to their benefit. We had a reservation mix up and I have never been treated so horribly by...anyone really. My mother received a very nasty email from them about how the mix up was her fault and that her reservations were cancelled. My mother had only inquired about the procedure to CHANGE a reservation. They used phrases like, "you should have". I responded to the rude email, just explaining how shocked I am at the customer service.

In addition, I called to try and figure things out. I never got the chance to! The guy that answered the phone (part owner keep in mind) knew of the situation I was calling about. He was yelling at me about how there is nothing we can do and he doesn't even know why I am calling. I couldn't even get a word in and all I wanted to discuss was the service, not even the reservation. He stated and I quote, "We do not have to take crap from customers". I didn't even get a chance to give him "crap" because he was going off on me for calling in the first place! Shocked!

Your family can do much better!

Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank HollyGreen123
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 19, 2012

I want to be absolutely clear. The resort is authentic, rustic, and very pleasant overall. Yes, it's not perfectly new or with lots of amenities, but that's not why people go to Death Valley. The scenery is excellent and the place truly defines DV.

BUT (as was noted in some previous reviews), the walls are way too thin. There was a group (and I mean a group of like 10) college kids next to ours. It was Sunday night, and they were up into the night at 11PM. They weren't playing music loud of anything, but with the terribly thin walls, you can hear everything. I asked them to quiet down a couple times after 10PM, but at 11PM, I had to go and tell them to shut the **** up. There was no other choice.

I was there with my 4-year (and I asked my wife to cover his ears when I went next door), but despite the wonderful location and the great things the place has to offer, it is NOT for resting and relaxing. I would have give this place at least 3, but with the unwillingness of management to make the accommodation pleasant, we had a terrible time overall.

Note to management: I spoke with a person on the morning of checkout and let him know that I'll be writing this review. He was polite in saying that there really isn't much they management can do other than asking people to keep the quiet hours. YES, that is exactly what you should've done! Again, I had no issues with the resort itself, other than the guests next door.

Suggestion: make your quiet times obvious in the front of your check-in sheet and do your best to enforce it!

Room Tip: Pay the extra to stay in the Stovepipe or at the Furnace creek ranch. It's definitely going to b...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank wkwon
panamint_springs, Manager at Panamint Springs Resort, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback. I'm very sorry that you did not have a pleasant stay. We do have our quiet hours listed on our information sheet that we hand out to everyone who checks in. We expect people to read this, but I suppose that doesn't always happen. In the future we will make a concerted effort to point them out to everyone who checks in.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Death Valley National Park
Furnace Creek Inn and Ranch Resort
Furnace Creek Inn and Ranch Reso...
#2 of 3 in Death Valley National Park
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,676 reviews
The Ranch at Furnace Creek
The Ranch at Furnace Creek
#2 of 7 in Death Valley National Park

Been to Panamint Springs Resort? Share your experiences!